Compelling Personal Reasons

Options
Hi all. I previously attended an undergraduate BSc Computer Science course (2003-2007) during which I repeated my 2nd year and then withdrew during my final year. Under student finance wales rules this means I am no longer eligible for any loans, grants or support beyond the maintenance loan as I have used up my 3+1 gift year. This is extremely unhelpfulas I'm hoping to attend a local university as a mature student this September.

I suffer from severe depression and generalised anxiety disorder to the point where I have been unfit for work for the last 7 months. My first visit to a GP (ever) was in 2013 where I was diagnosed as depressed with anxiety issues, then ever since it has been a case of medications and return visits, a few suicide attempts and generally my condition becoming more evident.

Having spoken to a medical practitioner yesterday he said it was more than likely that I've suffered with these problems all of my life. Whilst at university there were certainly signs of it: I would regularly miss lectures due to exhaustion, I made no friends on my course as I'm extremely socially anxious, I was put in a student house (not halls of residence) in my first year so this added to my isolation, inhibiting my ability to develop social skills, and when I finally moved to halls of residence in my final year I was in such financial difficulties that I had to withdraw. I had barely been attending lectures, assumedly due to the aforementioned problems, so I phoned my mother in February 07 in fits of tears and she just told me to come home immediately. The university passed my outstanding accommodation fees on to a debt collector who hounded me constantly despite the fact that I'd just dropped out of uni. Finally there was another complication during my time there-my student mentor. Not only did I only meet him on 2-3 occasions during my entire time there, not once discussing my attendance or integration with the uni - only an introduction and plans for my final year project. Then came the news that in my final year my tutor had left/moved to another department. My new tutor (who I met twice-again only discussing the project) wanted me to abandon my original project plan completely, despite my having a real passion for my original plan, and instead he wanted me to work with a local charity to help develop their website or something equally uninteresting. Basically I had no mentoring during my whole time at the uni.

I've asked the university to compile a summary of the above from their perspective. I'm also seeing my GP this afternoon to discuss how my illness may have been a factor during my time at university and if she thinks it was a compelling contribution to my time there, especially from the point of my failed second year onwards. If she agrees and is willing to write a letter of support, alongside the document of events from the university, do you think this is a strong enough case to have my funding reinstated? Apologies for the wall of text but this is playing on my mind continuously.

Comments

• JimmyTheWig
    JimmyTheWig Posts: 12,199 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Didn't want to read and run, but this is way beyond the scope of these forums, I would have said.
  • stephenamp
    Options
    Didn't want to read and run, but this is way beyond the scope of these forums, I would have said.

Well I did do a quick search and found 10 threads where people have been assisted with these queries before. There also seems to be at least one ex-assessor for CPR active on the forums who I'm really hoping will take a quick look at this.
  • JimmyTheWig
    JimmyTheWig Posts: 12,199 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Fair enough. Fingers crosses, then.
    I guess what I meant is that it is outside the scope of what I know and the sorts of things I've seen on here.
  • Taiko
    Taiko Posts: 2,711 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Above might be a reference to myself. I'll take a full look over things at the weekend if that's ok, as just a quick browse now as things are a bit busy.
  • fishybusiness
    Options
    Couple of points come to mind...

Are you hoping to start over for a different degree, or complete the one you were studying?

You have explained you are getting support now, so hopefully things will be easier for you, do you think you are now able to cope with the pressure of uni life - and if not, what support do you think you will need to be able to complete a degree.

I'm thinking you ought be able to demonstrate what has changed, and what you may need when you put together your own argument for reinstatement.
  • stephenamp
    Options
    Taiko wrote: »
    Above might be a reference to myself. I'll take a full look over things at the weekend if that's ok, as just a quick browse now as things are a bit busy.

Thanks Taiko-did want to respect your request for no PMs!
  • stephenamp
    Options
    Couple of points come to mind...

Are you hoping to start over for a different degree, or complete the one you were studying?

You have explained you are getting support now, so hopefully things will be easier for you, do you think you are now able to cope with the pressure of uni life - and if not, what support do you think you will need to be able to complete a degree.

I'm thinking you ought be able to demonstrate what has changed, and what you may need when you put together your own argument for reinstatement.

Thanks for the queries. I'm hoping to study a very similar degree at a different institution. There's quite a possibility that my previous module passes may allow some exemptions from the early years at the new institution but I'm in very early discussions with both universities at the moment.

Exactly as you've said I am receiving significant support from medical services now, and the institution where I'm hoping to attend is local to my parental home (unlike my previous course) so I will be living, being supported and monitored by family who are now fully aware of the problems I have and will be able to spot the signs of any turns for the worse.

Along with the aforementioned changes my new university will be made fully aware of my situation and as such I would hope we could put measures in place to avoid any difficulties. I would certainly hope I could arrange for regular meetings with a mentor, along with anything else the university would suggest/require. I'd also like to explore any other support services the new university offers for students such as myself, and I will be sure to discuss these when I attend an open evening next week.

I'd certainly look to demonstrate as many of the changes that I believe have finally put me in a position to complete a degree. I forgot to mention that there is always the possibility of a part time undergraduate course which could ease the transition/return, but with the full support I now have and my complete understanding of when to notice I need help, how to approach any difficulties and who/where I should go to as soon as possible, I strongly believe I could begin full time education.

I do have questions of my own actually: am I ultimately responsible for putting together the argument for reinstatement? If so how much of my own input will be considered and what types of supporting evidence would help my case? I could certainly ask my GP to write a letter of her assessment of my situation, and as I mentioned in my previous post I have already asked my old university to compile as much information as possible. Is there anything else I could add to support my case? Would family accounts of my time at university be a useful addition for example?

Thanks once again for the replies and help!
  • Taiko
    Options
    Ok, taken the time to read through what you've written. Just a question though, but did your old university award you any sort of qualification e.g. CertHE for the time you were on your course? I'm aware some universities do this.

CPR should be ok if your doctor confirms, but any allocations could rely on the answer to the above.
  • Sarahi_2
    Options
    Taiko wrote: »
    Ok, taken the time to read through what you've written. Just a question though, but did your old university award you any sort of qualification e.g. CertHE for the time you were on your course? I'm aware some universities do this.

CPR should be ok if your doctor confirms, but any allocations could rely on the answer to the above.

Hi Taiko,

I don't mean to hijack the thread but I could do with similar advice. I was ill last academic year and ended up not being able to pass my exams. I've sent a CPR letter but they've asked for evidence. I don't know who to get evidence from. My personal tutor was no help to me while ill and did not contact me so doesn't know the circumstances.
    The GP I had pre-operation I have sent a letter to asking if they can write a letter but I'm not sure if they realise how badly the illness affected my studies as at that point my main concern/thing spoken about was trying to figure out what was wrong with me.
    The GP post-op is the one who signed me off for a second time (the hospital signed me off first) but I only met them once and they were so busy they didn't really listen to me. I've been trying to get another appointment with the second GP for over a week now as I need to be looked over anyway for minor lingering problems. When I hopefully do get an appointment I will ask them about the letter too. How long does their letter need to be?
  • Taiko
    Options
    Apologies for the delayed reply. Due to a few things I'm having to sort out, I'm not really as active as I have been previously.

The letter itself can be brief, but it needs to explain the diagnosis, and the effects that this would have had on your ability to study.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure