Spend Nowt, Buy Nowt, Owe Nowt

Options

Comments

• Treadingonplaymobil
    Options
    So difficult to keep to a budget while doing GF/dairy free etc. Occasionally I make gf bakes for a friend of mine who is gf and it is soooo expensive.
    Trying to figure out a whole new life. Trying to figure out a whole new budget.
    Divorcing, unclear on final debt total right now, but focusing on building a financial buffer zone.
  • XSpender
    XSpender Posts: 3,811 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    So difficult to keep to a budget while doing GF/dairy free etc. Occasionally I make gf bakes for a friend of mine who is gf and it is soooo expensive.

It is cheaper to make your own than buy ready made but GF flour is still £1/bag more than basis flour and GF oats are £2 for 450g compared with 75p for 1kg smart price so it quickly adds up. Luckily I don't need to eat DF as well but we still have to have 2 tubs of butter/spread on the go at the same time to avoid cross contamination.

Even with sausages it is the finest or premium ranges that are GF which is why I stock up on the M&S ones on 3 for 2 when I have a £5 off voucher and end up with a sausage mountain :rotfl:
    Save £10,500 - £2673.77 - 25.5%
    Pay off £7000 - £1743 - 19.4%
    Make £2021 extra income - £99.75
  • WannabeFree
    WannabeFree Posts: 4,438 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    We are quite lucky our butcher does GF sausages at a similar price. We don't really eat much sausage though :o

I use the gluten free girl way of making 'all purpose flour' and stock up when it's on offer/using amazon vouchers etc. More recently Aldi sells coconut flour at a reasonable price too.

x
    “Once you hit rock bottom, that's where you perfectly stand; That's your chance of restarting, but restarting the way.”
  • apple_muncher
    apple_muncher Posts: 14,711 Forumite
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Aldi sausages are also gf -not all of 'em, obviously! I am rather partial to the sweet chili ones...

Dh ate one of dd's gf df shortbreads (sainz own) and declared it to be 'disgusting'! Serves him right for scoffing her food...
    NST March lion #8; NSD ; MFW9/3/23 Whoop Whoop!!!
  • XSpender
    Options
    Six Frugal Things for Yesterday and Today

1) NSD Sunday
    2) NSD Monday
    3) We've put the plastering on hold in the 4th bedroom and will do it some time later in the year
    4) SOLD a piece of furniture :D and found 3 other items to sell
    5) Remembered to turn the heating off when working from home
    6) All meals made from freezer/cupboards

Not much to report, we decided not to go to the NT place on Sunday due to the dodgy weather and pottered about at home.

The biggest 'win' for us has been our decision not to do any more major work on the house. We are leaving the 4th bedroom and if any job takes more than a tin of paint or is a repair or maintenance it isn't getting done for a long while. ;)
  • XSpender
    edited 14 February 2018 at 10:25AM
    Options
    Let's see how I am getting on with this month's goals :)

Finance

1) Reduce debt total by £1000 after interest added (Current Balance £53,997.55, aiming for £52ks) - currently at £700, not going to hit this :(
    2) Come in under food budget - £407 for 5 weeks - currently on £259.57, helped by the new challenge

3) No credit card spending even if we see the bargain of the century - none done and not planning any :D
    4) Sell [STRIKE]dining suite[/STRIKE], TV, sewing machine, 2 broken phones and unwanted DVDS, books and CDs - I hate selling stuff but needs must sold dining suite, found 3 other things to sell
    5) [STRIKE]List contents of freezers and cupboards, meal plan and drink the wine/gin we have in the house before buying anymore booze to assist with no. 2 and no.6 -[/STRIKE] done and new challenge started
    6) [STRIKE]Recipe research, create meal plans etc. for a super low food spend challenge I am planning for March - [/STRIKE]done but started challenge 6th Feb
    7) Do at least 3 money saving/money making things every day this month with a hope of establishing frugal habits done, even if some are only frugalish
    8) Find £150 for deposit for summer camping trip - not gonna happen this month :(

House

1) Complete 12 small jobs in the house that we have materials for and don’t involve spending any further money
    a. Oil kitchen worktops
    b. Touch up [STRIKE]kitchen walls and [/STRIKE]gloss on big door
    c. Paint skirting area in alcove in our room to disguise lack of skirting
    d. [STRIKE]Put up smoke alarms (already bought may need 1 battery)[/STRIKE]
    e. Stain mat well trim and glue down - needs a 2nd coat
    f. Touch up small areas in hall and landing
    g. [STRIKE]Clean the inside of all windows without replacing broker Karcher -[/STRIKE] done but bought the cheapest Karcher we could get
    h. Strip wallpaper in guest room - on hold
    i. Remove ugly shelves from guest room and box up or sell DVDs/books and CDs that ere on them - on hold
    j. Clean interior of oven, fridge, dishwasher [STRIKE]and washing machine[/STRIKE]
    k. Sort out clothes (mainly DH) and box for storage in loft
    l. Fit DS wardrobe door knobs if DH already has some longer screws
    2) Use proceeds of sales to purchase a mirror for our bedroom (£55) £50 saved so far

Me and Family

1) Do my first park run with DH and DS - FREE
    2) Go swimming with DH and DS - £10 and budgeted for
    3) Go to 2 gym classes with friend – FREE, already paid for with annual membership friend won a holiday so will have to wait
    4) Go for a run on my own - FREE
    5) Spend some time on career development – FREE, colleague is supporting with some resources
    6) Read 3 books for pleasure and 1 linked to career development – FREE, have more than this on my kindle, the handmaid’s tale in paperback and an NLP book to read I’ve had for sometime - 2 books read so far
    7) Visit favourite NT place for a walk – FREE if we keep out of the cafe:o
    8) [STRIKE]Re-start my bullet journal when I find the diary I bought [/STRIKE]Done
    9) 2 meals out with 2 different sets of friends – from my personal spends. 1 meal is next month put going to cinema this month as well as other meal

10) Don’t stress about losing any weight this month (I need to shift a stone). If keeping the £s in the bank means keeping the lbs on my bod this month so be it[/QUOTE] Still not stressing about it :cool:
  • XSpender
    Options
    Pooped tonight after an early start and a long day.

Our new furniture came yesterday and it is lovely. We have £50 towards a bedroom mirror but can't agree on one we both like. We do need one as trying to find a mirror near a plug to dry my hair this morning was a bit of a pain.

DS is being taken out for the day on Saturday by the DPIL so DH and I have a full day to ourselves. Not sure what we will do with ourselves. We will be dog sitting and their dog cant be left for too long

3 Frugal Things Today

1) Didn't spend any money
    2) Stuck to eating from the freezer even though I was missing ingredients for the planned meal and the second choice
    3) Checked the heating was off before we both left for the day at 7.15am
    4) Both took lunches to work
  • MeandO
    MeandO Posts: 2,903 Forumite
    Options
    Hello X-Spender,

Just popping in to thank you for inspiring me to make improvements in my house with what I have already. I bought an old house just over a year ago and I have been so impatient to get it looking nice that I have probably spent more than I can afford to on several occasions.

Thanks to your diary, I forced myself to paint my bedroom at the weekend with paint I've had for a couple of years - obviously an improvement at no cost. I'm onto the bathroom next and then possibly my 'office' room. :D

I'm aware I have lots of fabric stashed away in drawers, so I'm going to get my sewing machine back out and see what I can make for the house with that.

Love reading your diary and ideas

X
    Mortgage @ 03/2019: £125K, Now: £66,970
    Mortgage OP's 2024: £738.03 Total OP’s: £8948.59
    SAVINGS: EF: £6923.98/£15,000 XMAS: £607.21 CAR/HOUSE: £550
  • XSpender
    Options
    I'm still away with work but dashing in to share some great news.

DH had a tax rebate yesterday of over £1600:eek::D:D

I told him his tax code was wrong last year but he never did anything about it.

I will be back later with some plans of how we are going to us it.
  • MeandO
    MeandO Posts: 2,903 Forumite
    Options
    Fantastic news Xspender!

You could clear a couple of the cards with that and still have a little leftover for a treat! :D
    Mortgage @ 03/2019: £125K, Now: £66,970
    Mortgage OP's 2024: £738.03 Total OP’s: £8948.59
    SAVINGS: EF: £6923.98/£15,000 XMAS: £607.21 CAR/HOUSE: £550
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family