Client (not UK based) not paid, how can I get my money?

Options
I have a client based in Mauritius and he hasn't paid an invoice that's 2 months overdue now. I have chased him on email and he's not replied to any of them. I have previously used Thomas Higgins to write the £3 letter when a client has been in the UK and have always been paid but I'm a bit stumped what to do because he's based oversees. I've looked into worldwide claims companies and some charge 25% commission based on a no win no fee basis. Has anyone had any experience of this and would recommend a company that would be cheaper? The total amount owed is £1750

Any advice would be gratefully received. Many Thanks.

Comments

• Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    To be honest - this is why you charge upfront for overseas orders.

I don't know Mauritius law, it's unlikely anyone here does. You would need to engage a local solicitor (or equivalent) which may end up costing more than the £1750 claimed
  • trailingspouse
    Options
    I'm assuming you performed due diligence, credit checks etc etc etc before lending them £1750?

First and foremost, do no more work for this client.

Have you tried ringing them?
    No longer a spouse, or trailing, but MSE won't allow me to change my username...
  • Redcat453
    Options
    Thanks for the replies.

I have had a longstanding relationship with this client for over 5 years and he's always paid on time. He did have a company over here when I first started working for him and travelled between the Uk and Mauritius. I didn't 'lend' him the money, I did some work for him, invoiced him and he hasn't paid me for it. I haven't done anything else for him since this last invoice. I have tried calling him but he's not picking up. I can't really afford to wave goodbye to £1750 but appreciate it may cost me to get some of it back.
  • paddyrg
    paddyrg Posts: 13,543 Forumite
    Options
    If someone will do it no win no fee with a charge of 25% if they're successful, that sounds like a win to me. Enforcing that cross-jurisdictions is going to be one hell of a job.
  • Redcat453
    Options
    That's what I thought paddyrg, At least i would get some of it back. It's a real shame it's had to come to this, I honestly didn't expect this for him :(
  • trailingspouse
    Options
    You have lent him the money - you've given him goods/services to the value of £1750 and not yet been given any money in return. That's what credit is. You obviously didn't intend to lend him the money, but nevertheless you have.

But from your second post, it seems that this is out of character for him, so there is a sliver of hope. Have you tried a letter before action, with a deadline of when the money needs to be paid across?
    No longer a spouse, or trailing, but MSE won't allow me to change my username...
  • Archergirl
    Archergirl Posts: 1,767 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Perhaps he is ill or even passed away, can you contact the company any other way?
  • trailingspouse
    Options
    Agree that the applicable jurisdiction complicates matters - but still, a letter threatening action might just concentrate the mind. Being able to carry it through is a different matter.
  • Redcat453
    Options
    Thank you everyone for the replies.

I have been in contact with his wife and she has replied on 2 occasions to say that he's travelling and she would pass on my email in the hope it's resolved ASAP. This is a slither of hope but I really feel like he's taking the pi**. If he'd just emailed and said "I'm away and I'll pay when I'm back" then at least I'd know, it's the fact I have emailed 5 times reminding him and called too. I wanted to suss out the no win no fee situation first before I send a letter before action (so that I can follow through with it if he chooses to ignore me again) Thanks again guys, I shall let you know what happens! Fingers crossed I get my money back.
  • Archergirl
    Archergirl Posts: 1,767 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Well at least you know he is still alive.........hope you get your money.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure