Dishwasher anti flood problem

Options
We have a zanussi ZDTS102 integrated slimline dishwasher that we are currently having a problem with. It appears to be that the anti flood system is currently enabled and needs resetting. This dishwasher was installed when we bought the house last year. Does anyone know if this is an easy job or do we need to call a dishwasher repairer?

Comments

• rach_k
    rach_k Posts: 2,236 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Is there water in the base? We had a Weetabix-related incident (or two, don't ask!) and the anti-flood device was activated on our Ikea dishwasher. Reading the manual suggested that we would need to call out an engineer :(

I turned it off and unplugged it, then emptied out the water from the bottom. I took out the filter and dried everything I could see. First time it happened, I was able to turn it back on straight away and it was back to normal. Second time, it reactivated the anti-flood pump thing so I left it unplugged for another few hours, hoping that any remaining water would dry up by itself. It did.

Other things I read suggested that you can remove the bottom panel to mop up any more water, maybe even tilt the machine to make it run out... but I was glad not to have to do that! Try Googling for tips - there are plenty out there.
  • NicNicP
    NicNicP Posts: 249 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    We've cleaned the filters, etc and it's currently switched off at the mains as it's constantly making an annoying noise! We have poured water into the drain and it does take the water away but then the noise starts again. Did you have to remove a side panel?
  • EssexExile
    EssexExile Posts: 6,139 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Unless they've changed a lot recently the base is like a bowl, if there is a leak water collects in the base, a float rises & operates a switch which usually turns on the pump & disables everything else. The simple way to get it going again is to pull the appliance out & lay it down so the water pours out of the base.

Of course there is water in the base because there is a leak somewhere, so it will just happen again. Sometime.
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
  • NicNicP
    Options
    So maybe just buy a new one then?!
  • rach_k
    rach_k Posts: 2,236 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    When it happened with ours, the cause was *somebody* pouring a full bowl of Weetabix sludge into the base and leaving it to set rock-hard as Weetabix does, so when the dishwasher was turned on later it couldn't drain water through the filter. That led to it filling too high with water and the anti-flood device turned on. In our case, it was simply a matter of removing the gunk and letting it dry out while unplugged until it no longer triggered the pump when switched on.

Is there an obvious cause in your case? Any water leaking from underneath or lots of food in the filter etc? I didn't have to take the side off mine (it's integrated so I probably couldn't do that myself) but just cleaning and drying was enough. If you have an actual fault or leak, that would need fixing.
  • NicNicP
    Options
    There's no obvious cause and as the kids are generally too lazy to fill the dishwasher I doubt there'll be remnants of food in the filter. I've been in touch with an engineer but he's busy for the next few weeks so fingers crossed we can sort it. Thank you.
  • EssexExile
    EssexExile Posts: 6,139 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Unless the engineer is someone you know, I'd interpret "I'm busy for the next few weeks" to mean "I'd rather not do it, find someone else".
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
  • NicNicP
    Options
    EssexExile wrote: »
    Unless the engineer is someone you know, I'd interpret "I'm busy for the next few weeks" to mean "I'd rather not do it, find someone else".

He is actually someone I know. I knew he fixed tumble dryers just didn't know he did all white goods. His wife's not long had a baby so I know he's busy.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure