Nationwide insurance - is it PPI?

Options
I have just dug out a 15 year old mortgage statement and it says I paid Propery insurance, I'm not sure they told me I had a choice whether I went with them or not. Can I make a claim?

Comments

• societys_child
    Options
    JohnnyJet wrote: »
    I have just dug out a 15 year old mortgage statement and it says I paid Propery insurance, I'm not sure they told me I had a choice whether I went with them or not. Can I make a claim?
    It's normal for the lender to insist the property is (propery) insured, it's their money at risk.
    It's not ppi, who arranged the mortgage?
  • JohnnyJet
    Options
    I know I had to have insurance as part of the requirements but I think they told me that I had to insure with them. It was Nationwide.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,385 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    JohnnyJet wrote: »
    I know I had to have insurance as part of the requirements but I think they told me that I had to insure with them. It was Nationwide.

Lenders are allowed to insist on insurance as part of a condition of borrowing. Nothing wrong with that. They still do it today. And quite logically too.

There was a rule change in the late 90s that said they could no longer insist on it being with them but that only affected sales after that date.

Property insurance is buildings insurance. PPI is payment protection insurance. Two very very different types of policy.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • JohnnyJet
    Options
    I have no problem with them insisting that I take out insurance, it's whether they forced me to insure with them thus denying me a potentially better deal somewhere else. It was the late 90's I had this insurance.

Been clearing out my old paperwork and before I throw it away I was just checking.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure