Car lease - what are my options

Options
Just been made redundant and trying to cut costs. Have a lease car but only had the lease less than a year.
I guess I would be liable for early exit fee or would there be any chance they would waive the fee due to circumstances?
I will be calling the lease company but just wondered if anyone would have any info.

Comments

• redmalc
    redmalc Posts: 1,433 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    PMB all the best with this.
    A friend of mine had PCP and after only three months had a heart attack and could not return to work,he as had a nightmare with the company and they have now threatened bankruptcy.
    He really does not need this but they are proceeding with the order
  • motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,477 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    PMB1970 wrote: »
    Just been made redundant and trying to cut costs. Have a lease car but only had the lease less than a year.
    I guess I would be liable for early exit fee or would there be any chance they would waive the fee due to circumstances?
    I will be calling the lease company but just wondered if anyone would have any info.

With leasing the "early exit fee" could amount to the remaining payments due.

This will be extremely expensive and you'll have no car - bearing in mind you could need a car to attend interviews and you will most likely need a car when you start a new job

I would look at it another way - aim to have another job within 3 months, so what do you need to do to ensure those payments can be made until you've another job? Could be using some of your redundancy, savings, or borrowing money from a family member or friend.

Its a difficult time, but having been through it a couple of times over my career, and having had friends go through it, in a years time chances are you'll be looking back from a better place than you were before the redundancy and wondering why you stressed so much at the time.
  • motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,477 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    jaybeetoo wrote: »

I think the O/P needs to be very careful with the info in that link.

They have told us that they "want to cut costs", not that they are at their wits end unable to afford the next payment.

A wrong step here by knee jerking into something could cost ££££'s now and wreck their credit rating, as opposed to making a couple of payments until such times as they find a new job.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure