🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

budget and section 32

Options

Comments

• PaulCooper
    PaulCooper Posts: 290 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I might be completely off base here, but I've got one of those Section 32 policies and it has a GAR of 9.8% attached to it. There's no way I'm going to change anything about the policy. Are you sure that if you moved it, you wouldn't be foregoing something potentially quite valuable?

Paul
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,727 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    PaulCooper wrote: »
    I might be completely off base here, but I've got one of those Section 32 policies and it has a GAR of 9.8% attached to it. There's no way I'm going to change anything about the policy. Are you sure that if you moved it, you wouldn't be foregoing something potentially quite valuable?

Paul

That is one of the reasons so many firms require an adviser to sign off on it first. GARs/GMPs can be highly valuable. Although some less so.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • billyboggins_2
    Options
    in my particular situation, a lump sum to pay off my credit card debts would be more valuable ,in that it would release income from my pension for me to live on rather than continuing to pay interest to the credit card companies
  • billyboggins_2
    Options
    i am being told by my IFA that foregoing the GMP is NOT an option for me because no one will take over my pension pot whereas the above posts would indicate that it is possible ...getting confused now
  • dunstonh
    Options
    i am being told by my IFA that foregoing the GMP is NOT an option for me because no one will take over my pension pot whereas the above posts would indicate that it is possible ...getting confused now

When transferring a pension that has GMP, it can be done with the GMP accepted by the new provider and retained or not accepted and the GMP lost.

What you have been told is confusing. I would not be surprised at them saying that keeping the GMP and transferring is not an option (it only is in a minority of cases). However, transferring and giving up the GMP is an option. Although it may not be a suitable option or one that that IFA is prepared to recommend.

From a compliance point of view (and this may vary with certain firms), you find that transferring a S32 to commence retirement income is treated different from transferring a S32 prior to retirement. The latter tends to require occupational pension transferring authorisations. The former does not. An adviser without occupational transfer qualifications and authorisations would not be able to do pre-retirement transfers.

However, the bottom line is that it can be done. I have done one in the last year (and being a higher risk case, I had it checked by a third party compliance officer with higher qualifications than me and it was fine).
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • billyboggins_2
    Options
    thanks for that ,what min qualifications does the ifa have to possess to be able to do what i want ,i.e.
    take a lump sum,give up my GMP and take a smaller pension which as i previously explained would be my preferred option ?
  • dunstonh
    Options
    thanks for that ,what min qualifications does the ifa have to possess to be able to do what i want ,i.e.
    take a lump sum,give up my GMP and take a smaller pension which as i previously explained would be my preferred option ?

At retirement, it doesnt require any other qualification. However, J05, G60 or AF3 are desirable as those qualifications are a much higher standard than the default and have a particular focus on the unusual or niche areas that the main qualification would not.

Whilst IFAs are not required to have those qualifications to give higher risk pension income options advice, a number of restricted whole of market FA firms do require their advisers to have that those qualifications to give advice.
  • billyboggins_2
    Options
    so are you saying
    that at my retirement i can DIY ?
  • dunstonh
    Options
    so are you saying
    that at my retirement i can DIY ?

That will be down to the receiving company to decide. I don't have great knowledge of what all the DIY companies do (mainly reliant on what is posted here). My knowledge is on the IFA side.
  • xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,671 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options

In a previous post, reference was made to this example. http://www.mgmadviser.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/OMO-v-IVP-a-quick-reference-guide.pdf

"Are there ways in which MGM Advantage can accept
    S32 buy-out contracts?

Yes, as an application using the Immediate Vesting
    Pension option.

This will transfer the ceding pension funds into the MGM Personal
    Pension Plan followed by immediate vesting into the Enhanced
    Annuity or MGM Advantage Flexible Income Annuity.
    This is the most common approach. Shortly before the intended
    retirement date, the existing provider provides the member with
    an illustration of their benefits. You must compare this with the
    benefits provided by MGM Advantage.

The following applies to all IVPPs:

Any defined benefit guarantees, including those on GMP, will be lost

Any protected tax free cash or protected pension age will be lost.

There will always be guarantees on any GMP and sometimes
    on the non-GMP part. Whenever there are guaranteed annuity
    rates, you must always check, as the guarantees may mean that
    the starting income is much higher than that available from an
    MGM Advantage Enhanced Annuity, or Flexible Income Annuity."

Have you asked your adviser about IVPP in your particular case?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport