We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
Stamps & getting them valued
asea
Posts: 1,398 Forumite
After about 11 years of my Mum telling me that she'd definitely given them to me when I moved out, she found my old stamp collection in her attic:rolleyes:
Now my collection was pretty average & had quite a few stamps from the seventies but my Great Uncle had given me his old collection when I was a kid to encourage me to keep up the collecting. There are seven penny reds & quite a few stamps which are over a century old!:eek:
Nowadays I know nothing about stamp collecting.. how do I go about getting them valued? Is there a special stamp valuing service? How do I know that they are being accurately valued?
I'm sorry if this is in the wrong place, please feel free to move it as I couldn't figure out where to post!
Thanks in advance
Now my collection was pretty average & had quite a few stamps from the seventies but my Great Uncle had given me his old collection when I was a kid to encourage me to keep up the collecting. There are seven penny reds & quite a few stamps which are over a century old!:eek:
Nowadays I know nothing about stamp collecting.. how do I go about getting them valued? Is there a special stamp valuing service? How do I know that they are being accurately valued?
I'm sorry if this is in the wrong place, please feel free to move it as I couldn't figure out where to post!
Thanks in advance
nothing to see here, move along...
0
Comments
-
*the* place for stamps is Stanley Gibbons on The Strand in london. They will be able to give you a good idea of worth.
http://www.stanleygibbons.com/home/index.asp
Jee0 -
OOoh thanks - both albums are actually Stanley Gibbons
nothing to see here, move along...0 -
My Dad Has Been Collecting Stamps For Over 20 Yrs And 1st Day Covers. He Went To Get Them Valued And Got Told It Not Worth Anything More Than He [aid For So Best Thing To Use Stamps For Mailing Things
Hope U Have Better LuckJAN WINS- pepsi tshirt,0 -
Have a look on eBay to see what they're going for....;)If you lend someone a tenner and never see them again, it was probably worth it.0
-
If you want to get a rough idea go on to the many and various websites available and put in the description of the stamp condition etc, it will take a while and a lot of patience. Then go to a reputable auction house who specialise in stamps etc, (not the ones that do one a month) and get a valuation then consider whether you want to sell. Taking into account their charges usually a minimum of 10% plus vat and sometimes lot charges e.g if it's one book or lots of different stamps which are sold individually usually one subject. ie. football, Queen Victoria etc.,
Never settle for one valuation always go to a few places but do remember stamps are something that everyone collected and so there are very many in good condition. They have to be something rare to make money.
Also consider, am I going to keep them,, are they going to get damaged or can I do more with the money I may get for them which may make me more in the long run.0 -
thanks very much indeed for that! all i need to do now is sort them all out & see what happens!nothing to see here, move along...0
-
Let us know what their valuations are.0
-
Maybe you have sorted this out by now but I work in the stamp trade. I'm afraid that most collections are worth nothing unless a lot was spent in the first place. SG will probably confirm this and they won't want to take them as they only deal with quality collections. You can take them to a local stamp shop or SG and other good companies hold 'valuation days' around the country which are free and without commitment. Try https://www.warwickandwarwick.com for an alternative company.
Hope you find they are worth something.
Mr T0 -
Have you considered selling them on e-bay ? Spend some time researching to see how much similar stamps go for. Probably best to split them into small parcels rather than selling them as a job lot0
-
HI, go to your local library and find a book "Stanley Gibbons Great Britain stamps" or if you have world stamps they also should have some of the world books, the books have mint values and used values of all the stamps that have been produced.0
This discussion has been closed.
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.6K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards