🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Smart Wear Or A suit For Interview?

Options
I have an Interview on 4th July and need to wear smart clothes but I cannot afford prices I've seen for a Suit. Would a pair of black trousers and just a blouse or nice top be ok? I also have a driving assessment so I don't really want to wear a skirt because I also have to wear driving shoes which is another cost that I could do without. This is my first ever formal interview i've done for almost 20 years so I don't really know what to wear :o

Comments

• Mischa8
    Mischa8 Posts: 659 Forumite
    Options
    Kimberley wrote: »
    I have an Interview on 4th July and need to wear smart clothes but I cannot afford prices I've seen for a Suit. Would a pair of black trousers and just a blouse or nice top be ok? I also have a driving assessment so I don't really want to wear a skirt because I also have to wear driving shoes which is another cost that I could do without. This is my first ever formal interview i've done for almost 20 years so I don't really know what to wear :o

I'd prefer to see a suit as an employer.

Can't you borrow one or get one for an investment?

Trouser suit is fine too.
  • yvonne13_2
    yvonne13_2 Posts: 1,955 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Are you currently unemployed? If yes according to loverboy if you go to your local job Center/employment advisor with the letter asking you to attend an interview they will/might give you a voucher/money for some clothes/shoes from Matalan.
    Hopefully someone else will be along soon that lives in your area and can confirm if that is standard in your area.
    It's better to regret something I did do than to regret something that I didn’t. :EasterBun
  • Kimberley
    Kimberley Posts: 14,871 Forumite
    Options
    No I work part time but money is tight :o
  • michelle2008
    michelle2008 Posts: 601 Forumite
    Options
    In the summer I think trousers and a smart blouse are acceptable in most cases. I have interviewed lots of times and while it is more obvious when men don't wear suits - it is less so for women.

Smart, tidy appearance (do get a hair cut) and confidence are more important imho
  • Auntie-Dolly
    Auntie-Dolly Posts: 1,008 Forumite
    Options
    What sort of job is it? I had interviews recently after many many years & my friend who has quite an important job said no-one wears suits anymore so I've been wearing smart trousers & a nice top. Having said that, I'm still unemployed!
  • Pupnik
    Pupnik Posts: 452 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I would say almost always wear a suit, just to be safe. Since you have black trousers already could you borrow a black suit jacket from a friend or family member? Or go to a charity shop? Failing that Primark do black suit jackets for £12. Not very nice, but still...

You could also look online as you still have a bit of time to prepare?
  • Missli
    Missli Posts: 7,685 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    If you are really hard up, you can always go the cheap, but looks good route. I did so many years ago. Florence & Fred at Tesco are great for this. Suit for £20:

Jacket

http://www.clothingattesco.com/coats+jackets/f+f-basic-jacket/invt/br211082/&bklist=icat,4,shop,catgwomens,womens-tailoring

Trousers

http://www.clothingattesco.com/workwear+tailoring/f+f-smart-trouser/invt/br121141/&bklist=icat,4,shop,catgwomens,womens-tailoring

Sorted!. :D
    New forum. New sig. Yes I still need to lose 2 stone! :smiley:
  • michelle2008
    michelle2008 Posts: 601 Forumite
    Options
    Do you know people in the industry / company? Might be worth asking?
  • Kimberley
    Kimberley Posts: 14,871 Forumite
    Options
    The job is for a Bus driver :D
  • yvonne13_2
    yvonne13_2 Posts: 1,955 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Good luck OP I hope you get the job :)
    It's better to regret something I did do than to regret something that I didn’t. :EasterBun
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport