We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Is Accidental Death Insurance

Options
Going through all our DD etc I have found three going out for Accidental Death Insurance - Its not expensive but is it worth it? I can't find anything on this site for or about it and am in the dark. Please someone let me know if it is useless?::o

Comments

• dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,854 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    waste of money. Many companies give it away as an incentive or addon. Paying for it is wasteful.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • suffolkb
    suffolkb Posts: 1,299 Forumite
    Options
    My ex has discovered that she has been paying £8 a month for accidental death insurance. She has written to Barclays asking for when she agreed to this as she is sure she didn`t. If so,then she wants the premiums back. I told her that there might have been a box somewhere that said `tick if you don`t want this`.
  • cook466
    cook466 Posts: 10 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for that - I think I will just get them cancelled. They keep sending us 'offers' to increase it which look really good but I doubt my husband when he does keel over will be in the 'right' kind of accident and therefore not get the dosh !!
  • Debt_Free_Chick
    Options
    I've always thought this a bit of an odd insurance.

Straight forward life insurance pays out when you die - more often than not, irrespective of the cause of death. Many will pay out on suicide, but there might be some modern day terrorist exclusions.

However .. the point is that life insurance pays out if death is accidental.

Accidental Death Insurance ONLY pays out if death is by accident, so it wouldn't cover illness, disease, natural causes etc.

As others have said, because the risk is so low, the premium is very cheap. But the chances of it paying out are slim.

OTOH, if you're a cack-handed clumsy oaf with two left feet, you might think it's worth it :D but not if you already have insurance, as well
    Warning ..... I'm a peri-menopausal axe-wielding maniac ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 249K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure