SIP construction new build and upstairs heating

2»

Comments

• Viborbx
    Viborbx Posts: 9 Forumite
    My thinking that under floor heating upstairs was that since we were told we did not need heating upstairs it would only be used as a backup.

I!!!8217;m so grateful for your reply. I will pass it on. There is no wood burning stove. Only an electric fire, which is for effect. We did have plan to have a gas fire. We took it out as we were told that the ventilation for the gas fire made the SAP calculations !!!8216;worse!!!8217;.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Comic geek, have you done these in Scotland? I've had some issues with only a gas boiler under the current regs
  • ComicGeek
    ComicGeek Posts: 1,539 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Viborbx wrote: »
    My thinking that under floor heating upstairs was that since we were told we did not need heating upstairs it would only be used as a backup.

I!!!8217;m so grateful for your reply. I will pass it on. There is no wood burning stove. Only an electric fire, which is for effect. We did have plan to have a gas fire. We took it out as we were told that the ventilation for the gas fire made the SAP calculations !!!8216;worse!!!8217;.

It can't be counted as a back-up as it is expected that there would need to be underfloor heating upstairs. A gas fire would be a lower efficiency than a gas boiler, so would make the SAP calculation worse than not having it.
  • ComicGeek
    the_r_sole wrote: »
    Comic geek, have you done these in Scotland? I've had some issues with only a gas boiler under the current regs

Yes, the main issue is that the Scottish TER calculation for a gas boiler includes an amount of photovoltaics, whereas the TER calculation for an air source heat pump doesn't. Therefore the lazy answer for designers is to tick the air source box rather than looking to see whether this is the most appropriate solution overall. In a lot of cases we looked at the air source option cost more money to install and operate than the alternatives. For example, a gas boiler with flue gas heat recovery would be significantly cheaper and be a better investment, IMO.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    ComicGeek wrote: »
    Yes, the main issue is that the Scottish TER calculation for a gas boiler includes an amount of photovoltaics, whereas the TER calculation for an air source heat pump doesn't. Therefore the lazy answer for designers is to tick the air source box rather than looking to see whether this is the most appropriate solution overall. In a lot of cases we looked at the air source option cost more money to install and operate than the alternatives. For example, a gas boiler with flue gas heat recovery would be significantly cheaper and be a better investment, IMO.

Yeah that's pretty much my understanding of it, the air source certainly isn't a cheap option... couple of eye watering quotes in today!
  • Viborbx
    !!!8220;A gas boiler with flue gas heat recovery would be significantly cheaper and be a better investment.!!!8221;

I will put this to my Architect. I feel we are dealing with a complex situation that has not been met with before in the area I live in. There is a lack of understanding of alternatives, also.

Thank you all so much. I will keep you updated.
  • Viborbx
    We have looking back at the emails and comments made. We have twice paid to get the calculations done as we took out the gas fire from the design.

Here is an extract from the latest email. Below is the software they use.

!!!8220;The sap has been updated and the results from the technical team are:
    This is a massive fail not a near miss with no solar.
    We have tried other better heating system manufacturers with ERP controls etc but no hope im afraid.
    Air Pressure is right down to 1.5
    Nowhere to go......................!!!8221;

JPA Designer Version 6.01x , SAP Version 9.92

We have a PDF of 30 pages supplied by the Company showing all the calculations.
  • ComicGeek
    Is an air test of 1.5 feasible for your scheme? It is possible with careful detailing and construction, and the SIPs helps with this - but this really does need focus from all trades on site, particularly those like electricians and plumbers who drill holes through air barriers.

I've sent you a PM so you can email me a copy of the calcs if you want me to have a look
  • Ruski
    Ruski Posts: 1,628 Forumite
    Sorry - just to add you can install UFH from below if needs be : would that be an option?

aluminium-diffuser-plates-underfloor-heating.jpg

Russ
    Perfection takes time: don't expect miracles in a day :D
  • Viborbx
    I will let my Architect see this and I will investigate it. Thanks.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure