PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Seller Offered us Keys before Completion

Options
We have exchanged and due to complete on 22/03. The house is empty and the seller is dealing with probate. We are in regular contact with him and he has been very reasonable. He text asking if we want to meet up over the weekend and get the keys. I did text back saying I didn't think we were suppose to have them until completion and he said he trusted us and if we want them we can have them.

It's only a few days before completion but this extra weekend would give us a head start in cleaning and ripping the dog sh*t stained carpets up which he knows we need to do as it's been a long standing joke about the carpets (!) and some cleaning as the house has been empty for 9 months. We would literally only plan on transporting lots of cleaning products and ripping the carpet up but this extra weekend would be a godsend.

We have buildings and contents insurance in place but is there any possible downside or things we should be aware of.

Comments

• davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    None in particular if that's all you're doing. If completion didn't happen for any reason then bear in mind you're improving a property which will still be owned by the sellers, but if you're just clearing stuff out etc rather than investing £££s in it then not much risk.
  • lovehols
    lovehols Posts: 214 Forumite
    Options
    davidmcn wrote: »
    None in particular if that's all you're doing. If completion didn't happen for any reason then bear in mind you're improving a property which will still be owned by the sellers, but if you're just clearing stuff out etc rather than investing £££s in it then not much risk.

Yes literally taking up carpets and putting them in outbuilding til the following weekend when my dad will do a tip run and cleaning the concrete floors. Hopefully a few days without the carpets will mean some of the smell will have gone by time the 22/03 arrives. :eek:
  • betsie
    betsie Posts: 434 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    We have been lucky to have the keys after exchange on an empty house. It makes such a difference being able to clean in advance of move in day. We cleared the whole place out and started on the garden.
  • steampowered
    steampowered Posts: 6,176 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    This is really a risk for the seller rather than the buyer.

If the seller is happy to give you early access, I can't see the problem.
  • ACG
    ACG Posts: 23,729 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    You have exchanged contracts. You are legally bound to purchase the property.

Personally I would have no issue giving you the keys as the vendor/taking the keys as the buyer. It might be worth doubling checking what the potential pitfalls of you taking the keys now are - if any.

You should have buildings insurance in place also.
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    davidmcn wrote: »
    None in particular if that's all you're doing. If completion didn't happen for any reason then bear in mind you're improving a property which will still be owned by the sellers
    Exchange has already happened. If the vendor pulls out now, all costs would be covered.

I really don't see an issue here, tbh. Accept his kind offer.
  • davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Options
    AdrianC wrote: »
    Exchange has already happened. If the vendor pulls out now, all costs would be covered.
    More likely to fall apart for some reason on the purchaser's side, in which case (as well as all their other losses) they also won't recoup whatever they've done to the house. Not much in this case but I'd hesitate before e.g. installing a shiny new kitchen.
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    Options
    Personally - I'm thinking "If only...." if I'd had an offer like that, then I would certainly have accepted it and said "Thank you nicely" for it.

I had the frustrating situation with starter house of walking past it and seeing it was sitting there empty for weeks between Exchange and Completion. It would have helped a lot if I could have just got on and given it a good clean/had a chance to change the locks in advance/generally think about where I wanted everything.

EDIT; Practical point time - is there going to be water available to do that cleaning? Though - goodness knows - it will be a help even to be able to just rip out the carpets and sweep the place.
  • Slinky
    Slinky Posts: 9,988 Forumite
    Options
    Personally - I'm thinking "If only...." if I'd had an offer like that, then I would certainly have accepted it and said "Thank you nicely" for it.

I had the frustrating situation with starter house of walking past it and seeing it was sitting there empty for weeks between Exchange and Completion. It would have helped a lot if I could have just got on and given it a good clean/had a chance to change the locks in advance/generally think about where I wanted everything.

EDIT; Practical point time - is there going to be water available to do that cleaning? Though - goodness knows - it will be a help even to be able to just rip out the carpets and sweep the place.

I'm astonished given how you have mentioned on several threads about the 'proper' length of time there should be between exchange and completion.

With regards water, if it's been turned off at the stopc o c k then it's a simple enough job to turn it on, nobody comes out from the water company to do it.
    Make £2024 in 2024
    Prolific to 29/2/24 £184.97, Chase Interest £11.88, Chase roundup interest £0.18, Chase CB £16.96, Roadkill £1.10, Octopus referral reward £50, Octopoints £6.30 to 31/1/24, Topcashback £4.64, Shopmium £3
    Total £279.03/£2024  13.8%

Make £2023 in 2023
    Water sewerage refund: £170.62,Topcashback: £243.47, Prolific: to 31/12/23 £975, Haggling: £45, Wombling(Roadkill): £6.04,  Chase CB £149.34, Chase roundup interest £1.35, WeBuyBooks:£8.37, Misc sales: £406.59, Delay repay £22, Amazon refund £3.41, EDF Smart Meter incentive £100, Santander Edge Cashback-Fees: £25.14, Octopus Reward £50, Bank transfer incentives £400
    Total: £2606.33/£2023  128.8%

• Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I moved in before completion. It was a long time ago, when squatters were in the news, so the sight of 'my' empty house just sitting there was a concern.

I knew the vendor and the vendor's POA wouldn't be coming around, so when British Gas had the keys to do some mortgage retention work, I borrowed them, had them copied and that was it.

Saved hundreds of miles of commuting too.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure