Help please New Lenovo Laptop

Options
Hi all

I am hoping someone may be able to assist me.

We bought a Lenovo Gaming Laptop from John Lewis for Christmas for our teenager. The first week of February it would not boot up. we phoned John Lewis who advised to contact Lenovo direct as the warranty is with them, so we did and a courier picked up the laptop.

I have just heard back from them and they say we have damaged the laptop and want £236.00 to fix. Their comment below, i am really cross as my teenager or I certainly have not damaged it. The laptop cost just under £1000 so you can imagine my upset.

"After assessing your device, the repair centre has deemed that a repair cannot be completed under the manufacturer’s warranty due to the connectors being damaged by extraneous cause such as the cable being inserted the wrong way, brute force or the wrong type of plug etc. "

Any advise would be very much appreciated.
Thanks
Upset Mam

Comments

• neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    What connector are they referring to? Other than the power connector being damaged I can't see how any other would prevent the laptop from booting up.

If it is the power adaptor connection then damaging these is very common and I wouldn't rule this out, despite what your teenage son has told you.
  • hozza94
    hozza94 Posts: 66 Forumite
    Options
    I would ask for the actual diagnostic report. Lenovo are usually quite good at it as I previously own laptops made by them which had manufacturing defects. They replaced the motherboard for free.
    If the damage is stated to be deliberate, did your son drop the laptop? Since a drop would have easily caused a damaged AC inlet as the cable would be violently pulled.
  • laneyg
    laneyg Posts: 12 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    no, he tells me he didnt drop it, and i know when he is fibbing.
    I even had the cable out and back in and saw no fault. jut no power.

I am just annoyed as its less than 2 months old
  • bris
    bris Posts: 10,548 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Accidental damage is easy for them to spot.

Your only option is to have the laptop returned to you so you can get your own expert report on the problem.

If this is in your favour then take the report to the retailer who is who your consumer rights are with.
  • Fosterdog
    Fosterdog Posts: 4,948 Forumite
    Options
    My guess would be either he has knock the power cord at the connection to the laptop while it was plugged in, it is pretty common with laptops and the whole port gets snapped off the motherboard or a pin snaps inside. Best case it just needs the existing port resoldered to the board, worst case the board itself is damaged and needs replacing, middle of the road is new port onto existing board.

Alternatively it is sometimes the USB ports that get damaged and once the pins get bent it cat short the system.
  • neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460 Forumite
    Options
    laneyg wrote: »
    no, he tells me he didnt drop it, and i know when he is fibbing.
    I even had the cable out and back in and saw no fault. jut no power.

I am just annoyed as its less than 2 months old
    He wouldn't have had to drop it, simply snagging the cable sharply is sometimes enough to damage the input.
  • laneyg
    Options
    Hi All

They have just come back to me and told me it is the power switch on the motherboard that is damaged. I am at a loss here here as I know my son and he is always careful with his stuff.
  • DoaM
    DoaM Posts: 11,863 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Huh? Power switch on the motherboard? Does the main power switch for a laptop mount directly on the motherboard? (Maybe it does).

To damage that switch you'd have to really hammer it - it only needs a gently press to turn on/off a laptop. I'd be highly surprised if such a switch would be prone to user-caused failure without obvious signs of abuse.
  • laneyg
    Options
    Exactly what I thought.

I am not a computer wiz so don't know much about the internals but thought this was an absolute load of rubbish.
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    laneyg wrote: »
    Hi All

They have just come back to me and told me it is the power switch on the motherboard that is damaged. I am at a loss here here as I know my son and he is always careful with his stuff.

So its the power switch and not the connection where you put the cabke to charge it ?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure