PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

More Charity Shop Bargains for 2018 & beyond!

Options

Comments

• Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,688 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    Pollycat wrote: »
    Mis-matched stripes or tartan set my teeth on edge.
    It's something that really jumps out at me.
    Maybe it's the dressmaker in me. :)
    On the subject of patterns, I was looking at this Next dress for my holidays
    154-897s2.jpg
    That big grey splodge at the front would do my head in. :mad:
  • Miró
    Miró Posts: 6,906 Forumite
    Homepage Hero Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Pollycat wrote: »
    On the subject of patterns, I was looking at this Next dress for my holidays
    154-897s2.jpg
    That big grey splodge at the front would do my head in. :mad:

Why on earth have a seam down the front of such a simple dress? Doesn't look as if it's to do with the shape or fit of the garment? An 'UNMATCHED PATTERN' seam too :mad: I guess it's to do with costs and the placing of the dress pattern on the fabric in a more economical way?? Shame, would annoy me too Pollycat.
  • Out,_Vile_Jelly
    Options
    Thanks for your thoughts on funeral coats. I think I'll go for the smart mac, with black hat, scarf, gloves and long boots.

Bought 3 books and 2 tops at the weekend, but none were outstanding bargains. I saw a pretty orange Top Shop dress in BHF, but baulked at the £30 "as new" (not actually new) price tag!
    They are an EYESORES!!!!
  • tessie_bear
    tessie_bear Posts: 4,898 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    that's a very simple dress to warrant a front seam makes me wonder how it would hang mis matched pattern isn't my thing :eek:

wore one of my new skirts today its rather nice xx
    onwards and upwards
  • Pollycat
    Options
    Mir! wrote: »
    Why on earth have a seam down the front of such a simple dress? Doesn't look as if it's to do with the shape or fit of the garment? An 'UNMATCHED PATTERN' seam too :mad: I guess it's to do with costs and the placing of the dress pattern on the fabric in a more economical way?? Shame, would annoy me too Pollycat.
    that's a very simple dress to warrant a front seam makes me wonder how it would hang mis matched pattern isn't my thing :eek:
    I looked at these dresses in Next (they have a number of different patterns) on Saturday.
    I can't see any reason for a front seam.
  • Floss
    Floss Posts: 8,247 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    It will be for pattern-laying on the fabric - you dressmakers will know that you can get more smaller half-front bits out of a length than full-fronts :)
    2021 Decluttering Awards: ⭐⭐🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇 2022 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
    2023 Decluttering Awards: 🥇 🏅🏅🥇
    2024 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
  • silvasava
    silvasava Posts: 4,433 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    F!oss - totally agree with you and the other posters. You can get away with a mismatch on a small pattern but certainly not on a large one! Like Miro my bugbear is stripes/checks not matching and tops with only pattern/decoration on the front.
    Funnily enough I had a top on I bought from Peacocks aand all the stripes matched on the body, the sleeve stripes matched with the body when your arms were down and the yoke trim was nicely stitched - for £8! Probably made in a sweatshop though :(
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
  • Pollycat
    Options
    silvasava wrote: »
    F!oss - totally agree with you and the other posters. You can get away with a mismatch on a small pattern but certainly not on a large one! Like Miro my bugbear is stripes/checks not matching and tops with only pattern/decoration on the front.
    Funnily enough I had a top on I bought from Peacocks aand all the stripes matched on the body, the sleeve stripes matched with the body when your arms were down and the yoke trim was nicely stitched - for £8! Probably made in a sweatshop though :(
    And stripes are 'in'. :eek:

Even my OH notices when striped are mis-matched. I've trained him well. :D
  • bobsa1
    bobsa1 Posts: 1,947 Forumite
    Options
    An unexpected afternoon off so a quick visit to the Charity shop. I've been flirting with the idea of buying dd a tea for one set from cath Kidston but couldn't really justify the price when I've bought some other things and we are giving her money. Anyhoo today in the cs what is sat there but a nice tea for one set with a teapot teacup and saucer thing all combined. I picked it up and yep it's cath Kidston but in a design I don't recognise so I could have overlooked it. Anyway it has become mine for the princely sum of £2.49 and will be wrapped nicely and added to the present pile
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Turtle-doves.co.uk will recycle 100% cashmere jumpers and similar items -subject to strict criteria-and send in return fingerless gloves. Haven!!!8217;t tried it myself but might be worth bearing in mind when rummaging...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure