Ebay scam buyer

Options
Hi All,

This is a bit of a long shot but I thought I'd ask for any advise if there was anything we could do.

My niece who is 17 has just used ebay for the first time and sold an iPhone for £500 to someone in cypress with postage costs of £52.
Everything seemed to be fine with the seller and they said they would send payment.
Along the way it turns out she gave the buyer her email address in the messages they had on ebay.
After the sale she got an email from eBay saying the buyer had paid so she posted the item.
It was after she sent the item she went into her PayPal account to see it had no money in it.
It turns out the email she received saying the money had been sent was a fake email from the buyer...
She's been in touch with ebay but they aren't being very helpful, so it looks like she has lost the phone and any money.
So I just thought I'd see if there is anything she could do?

Thanks for any help.

Comments

• soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,207 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Jonboy12 wrote: »
    Hi All,

This is a bit of a long shot but I thought I'd ask for any advise if there was anything we could do.

My niece who is 17 has just used ebay for the first time and sold an iPhone for £500 to someone in cypress with postage costs of £52.
    Everything seemed to be fine with the seller and they said they would send payment.
    Along the way it turns out she gave the buyer her email address in the messages they had on ebay.
    After the sale she got an email from eBay saying the buyer had paid so she posted the item.
    It was after she sent the item she went into her PayPal account to see it had no money in it.
    It turns out the email she received saying the money had been sent was a fake email from the buyer...
    She's been in touch with ebay but they aren't being very helpful, so it looks like she has lost the phone and any money.
    So I just thought I'd see if there is anything she could do?

Thanks for any help.

Unfortunately I can't see anything you can do here, the fact that phone was sent to Cyprus makes it worse as you can't even get the satisfaction of reporting a UK buyer to auction fraud.

I'm also concerned that your niece has fallen for such an obvious scam, it might pay if you could gently suggest that before she uses eBay again that she finds a basic tutorial or something to protect herself. No one should be sending anything without doing a basic check, not only to see if payment was received but also just to see whether payment shows as 'OK to send". These are basic checks.

Not only that but even sending a mobile overseas is a no no, RM won't insure mobiles even sent tracked and signed and insured , again a basic check would have got this information.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • theonlywayisup
    theonlywayisup Posts: 16,031 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    A sad but not unique story. Unfortunately the scammers favour those who will fall for their scam.

Is the phone blocked?

Your niece has no protection by paying as she did, despite being "under age" for an eBay account.

A lesson learned. Hopefully more than one lesson.
  • Marcon
    Marcon Posts: 10,680 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    What a rotten introduction to ebay for her - but what is a 17 year old doing using ebay - don't you have to be 18 both to use ebay and to have a paypal account?
    Googling on your question might have been both quicker and easier, if you're only after simple facts rather than opinions!  
  • Jonboy12
    Options
    soolin wrote: »
    Unfortunately I can't see anything you can do here, the fact that phone was sent to Cyprus makes it worse as you can't even get the satisfaction of reporting a UK buyer to auction fraud.

I'm also concerned that your niece has fallen for such an obvious scam, it might pay if you could gently suggest that before she uses eBay again that she finds a basic tutorial or something to protect herself. No one should be sending anything without doing a basic check, not only to see if payment was received but also just to see whether payment shows as 'OK to send". These are basic checks.

Not only that but even sending a mobile overseas is a no no, RM won't insure mobiles even sent tracked and signed and insured , again a basic check would have got this information.

Thanks Soolin

She likes to think she is an adult and knows what she's doing, I will gently suggest that she reads up on it before using it again or at least ask for advice first...:)
  • Jonboy12
    Options
    Thanks theonlywayisup

Not sure if the phone is blocked.
    A lesson learned indeed...
  • Jonboy12
    Options
    I also thought this, but I only herd about what happened today. Don't think she'll be using it again until her 18th...
  • RFW
    RFW Posts: 10,021 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Report it to the Police via Action Fraud https://www.actionfraud.police.uk/report_fraud
  • Dox
    Dox Posts: 3,116 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    RFW wrote: »
    Report it to the Police via Action Fraud https://www.actionfraud.police.uk/report_fraud

As Soolin has already pointed out, no point reporting - this is a Cyprus based buyer.
  • Gary123456790
    Options
    Do report the phone as stolen - as it will get blocked and will be of no use to the scammer, whatever country they are in.

Thanks.
  • k3lvc
    k3lvc Posts: 4,174 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Do report the phone as stolen - as it will get blocked and will be of no use to the scammer, whatever country they are in.

Thanks.

I'd love to believe you but experience suggests otherwise - a BBC documentary a couple of weeks ago named a specific country where high-end phones were useable despite any 'stolen' marker on them
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure