PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Building regs - do they apply?

Options
In the process of buying a detatched property. Solicitors engaged, searches requested and I'm about to return signed contract, TR1 and mortgage deed.

I was aware that an internal wall had been knocked through from the master bedroom to the fourth bedroom to create a dressing room. The space knocked through is about double-door size equivalent, with the rest of the wall remaining in place. However, this has not been mentioned on the PIF.

What the PIF does mention though, which I hadn't appreciated although it does make sense, is that what is now a very spacious lounge / diner was previously separate lounge and dining rooms which have been knocked through. The seller has indicated on the PIF that this change was 'exempt from building regs'.

I'm going to pick up with solicitor tomorrow about these - but does this sound right? As from what I've read online this evening it seems even the most minor change made internally may require a certificate of completion from building control?

Really hoping this does not become a barrier as both us and our vendors are keen to proceed ASAP.

Comments

• AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    I would presume it would be exempt if it was not a supporting wall. Do you know if it was?
  • lmartin87
    lmartin87 Posts: 24 Forumite
    Options
    In case it helps, property was built 2009 and changes were made in 2016.

4.1 (a) states: "Partition wall (non-bearing) between living + dining room removed"
    4.2 states: "Work was exempt from building regulations"
  • lmartin87
    Options
    AnotherJoe wrote: »
    I would presume it would be exempt if it was not a supporting wall. Do you know if it was?

That's what I'm hoping - but Google has be worried :).
  • Doozergirl
    Doozergirl Posts: 33,814 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    If it's non load bearing then it is likely that it is exempt.
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
  • lmartin87
    Options
    I suppose the solicitor didn't mention it in their original enquiries - which perhaps they would have if it was an issue? I'm a FTB so this is all a bit new to me.
  • Doozergirl
    Options
    Your proper survey should highlight it if the surveyor felt it was significant. The solicitor doesn't see the room nor do they understand building regs, particularly. Your vendor has answered the question in a way that should satisy a solicitor but it's your surveyor's job to understand the building.
  • davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Wouldn't hurt to ask them to explain why they think it's exempt. Often surprisingly trivial works aren't exempt.
  • Doozergirl
    Options
    davidmcn wrote: »
    Wouldn't hurt to ask them to explain why they think it's exempt. Often surprisingly trivial works aren't exempt.
    They answered it. "Non load bearing"
  • davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Doozergirl wrote: »
    They answered it. "Non load bearing"
    Is it really as straightforward as that? Admittedly I'm more used to the (different but similar) Scottish regulations, but building regulations cover things like insulation and fire safety, so removing a wall may have implications beyond whether it's load-bearing.

And that's assuming it really was non-load-bearing!
  • Doozergirl
    Options
    davidmcn wrote: »
    Is it really as straightforward as that? Admittedly I'm more used to the (different but similar) Scottish regulations, but building regulations cover things like insulation and fire safety, so removing a wall may have implications beyond whether it's load-bearing.

And that's assuming it really was non-load-bearing!

If you ask them again, you'll get the same reply. On the face of it, it's a perfectly adequate response and the vendor has volunteered this info.

There are many more situations where removing a non-load bearing wall would be exempt (two storey house) than where it isn't (perhaps in a three storey house where fire regs apply and a hallway is involved) and so it may well be fine.

It is ultimately a surveyor's job to check the house, provided they have been appointed. Questioning the vendor more isn't going to answer anything if the initial answer isn't trusted.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure