PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

More Charity Shop Bargains for 2018 & beyond!

Comments

• tessie_bear
    tessie_bear Posts: 4,898 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    I found the 50p rail in the age concern clearance shop enjoyed looking along that also found a rich seam of long skirs in the cr shop £2 a pop I got 5 2 of them bnwt the monsson skirt I liked was way too big but was delighted with what I found hope everyone else is lucky
    onwards and upwards
  • DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,905 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Rousing cheers for the Children's Society! Not only have I found their Chorley store shifts its entire stock each week (to other stores if it hasn't sold in the flagshop store opposite Booths), but their shop in Keighley had a heap of Denby Ode smack in my price range & right up there in quality.
    The assistant set about with sheets of tissue & then stepped back (smiling sweetly) as I set to & bundled up the cups.
    Some days being a happy Denbyholic lets you get away with near murder!
    Mind, the cat rescue place had a 10 pence shelf (!) & the Denby Cotswold plate just 'dinged!' at me. Son just rolled his eyes as I handed him a bag to hold open...
  • TM6
    TM6 Posts: 1,116 Forumite
    Rousing cheers for the Children's Society! Not only have I found their Chorley store shifts its entire stock each week (to other stores if it hasn't sold in the flagshop store opposite Booths), but their shop in Keighley had a heap of Denby Ode smack in my price range & right up there in quality.
    The assistant set about with sheets of tissue & then stepped back (smiling sweetly) as I set to & bundled up the cups.
    Some days being a happy Denbyholic lets you get away with near murder!
    Mind, the cat rescue place had a 10 pence shelf (!) & the Denby Cotswold plate just 'dinged!' at me. Son just rolled his eyes as I handed him a bag to hold open...

Do you keep your Denby or do you sell it on?
    "One hundred years from now, it will not matter what kind of car I drove, what kind of house I lived in, how much was in my bank account, nor what my clothes looked like but the world may be a little bit better because I was important in the life of a child."
  • DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,905 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Currently, I hang onto it like a bullpup. Unless it's Greenwich, at which point I refer it to a pal & ship it over if she wants it, and hang onto if not.
    The "great wall of china" in our house does not refer to a stonking Chinese artefact & tourist attraction but the literal challenge the Denby acquisition habit presents to getting around the front room (& other areas, ahem. I did a sort one Christmas & there's a lovely photo, titled simply "DontRun"...)

It's a sort of pension, a sort of reference collection, a sort of memento mori to the grandmothers who used it daily & whose still whole pieces I acquired on their demise & a solid habit I have carefully nurtured in my menfolk. It all started with crooning over flowers & Himself discovering the same croon occurred over the right basestamped teacup.
    The lads have learned that I will use their height & good nature mercilessly & now take preemptive measures by either spotting the stuff before I do, or refusing to enter the shop. (As they are at home doing schoolwork, or having driving lessons or other very robust pretexts!)
    I need to do another sort sometime but we have stuff to ebay hogging the floorspace I need! Also the chaps are a lot bigger now.

I'll have to start selling one day (or writing the next volume in Denby reference 1995 onwards which given my love of the 50s stuff might be tricky), but I think I'll get the chaps out of the house first. Tell you, it adds to (the considerable delights of) watching Father Brown, playing Spot The Teapot...
  • Bogof_Babe
    Bogof_Babe Posts: 10,803 Forumite
    "Great wall of china" - love that :rotfl: :T .
    :D I haven't bogged off yet, and I ain't no babe :D

• dolly84
    dolly84 Posts: 5,851 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Yesterday I bought a double bed sized American Quilt - this is the brand name rather than actually being american. It is in muted pinks and greens, huge and in excellent condition for £5
    Debt Free and now a saver, conscious consumer, low waste lifestyler

Fashion on the Ration 28/66
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,661 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Wizzbang wrote: »
    For sure, if I could afford to just re-donate I would. But whether I buy anything new (always in the sales) or second hand or if it's given to me - I have to try to sell it as a first port of call. We just don't have enough money not to. Especially as I can see from other people's comments, where I live, I have to pay high prices even for second hand items.

I think it's as important to look at the labels on a garment, as it is to feel the fabric, examine it, look at the stitching etc. But I'll admit, in another life I would have studied fashion and I spend a good deal of my own time reading about fashion history. Not that I keep up with current trends, or anything - for one, I'm far too old for that and for two, it's not about fashion - it's about design, quality, the cut, the fabric and so on. Labels can help you to date a garment - fabric ages, just like anything else. So buying, for example, a 20 year old White Stuff piece, it unlikely to be a sound investment of my money. It also helps to be aware if it's a vintage piece (vintage is now anything from the 1990s or earlier). Often these pieces need more careful washing and repairs than more modern garments. So for example, I always hand wash them because the fabrics will be far more delicate. Sometimes they need attention from my sewing machine, holes darning etc. I would bother doing all of this on a vintage Laura Ashley for example, but not a vintage New Look or Monsoon piece. All of which I can tell from the labels!

You can also use labels to help know if you've stumbled across a real, early gem. Often designer, but not always - but probably of no interest to your average shopper, but to a fashion history geek like me, it can be terribly exciting. I've an eye for it now and can pick out pieces that have even had their labels removed, just from the style, cut, quality of fabric, pattern on fabric etc. I then can get them home and use my books to identify the piece, name of the fabric print etc. But I doubt that would interest many.
    Personally, I don't think labels are that important.

Like GreyQueen has said previously, I'm a 'fabric feeler'.
    It's that - and the pattern of an item - that will stop me long enough to have a second look.
    It's only then that I'll have a look to see what brand it is.
    If it was a Balenciaga or a Zandra Rhodes :rotfl:, it wouldn't get a second look from me if it didn't feel nice and the fabric pattern didn't appeal.
    And I don't buy for investment, I buy for the 'ooooh, I like that and it will look great with....' feeling.

My sis remarked on the fact that I touch a lot of garments - rub them through my fingers) when we're out shopping (proper shops yesterday, rather than charity shops) and it's that that does it for me, not a label.

So I think we must conclude that we have very different ideas about charity shopping and what constitutes a good buy and we have different reasons for shopping in second-hand shops and the prices in my area appear to be cheaper than in yours.

And moving back to the thread topic, I bought a lovely Ted Baker zip-around silky fabric covered box (empty). It was probably originally a toiletries gift set.
    It's 7" x 5" x 3" and a lovely dusky pink with vivid coloured flowers on.
    It was £2.00 from Cancer Research.
    Not 100% sure what I'll use it for - I have a collection of vintage silver brooches so maybe I'll put those in there. But it will look very smart on my dressing table.

I also bought a grey marl top, long enough to cover my bum when wearing leggings.
    It's round-necked, short sleeved and has a trim of half a black zip from the neckline down to the sleeve, sort-of where the armpit is.
    Sounds bizarre but it looks funky (if an 'almost state pensioner' should be looking funky :D).
    No brand but it does have a massive tag on with Turkish writing on and Istanbul contact details so may be a sample.
    £1.00 Air Ambulance.

DigForVictory - another great Denby find. :T

Dolly84 - the quilt sounds lovely. Have you looked at their website? :eek:
  • Hermia
    Hermia Posts: 4,473 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Pollycat wrote: »

I look at labels because I know what labels fit me. I am a petite hourglass which is a shape very few brands seem to cater for. There is no point in me spending time looking at fabric etc and then realising it's from a brand that never ever caters for my shape. I am trying to learn to alter clothing, but I am not terribly good at it so I try and stick with the brands that fit me.
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,661 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Hermia wrote: »
    I look at labels because I know what labels fit me. I am a petite hourglass which is a shape very few brands seem to cater for. There is no point in me spending time looking at fabric etc and then realising it's from a brand that never ever caters for my shape. I am trying to learn to alter clothing, but I am not terribly good at it so I try and stick with the brands that fit me.
    That's why I said:
    because to me - from my standpoint, in my own opinion - they aren't important.
    I appreciate that they are to some - for different reasons. ;)
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    That's why I said:

because to me - from my standpoint, in my own opinion - they aren't important.
    I appreciate that they are to some - for different reasons. ;)
    I ain't gonna lie - if I saw a designer name that fit at the right price I would have to think hard about leaving it on the rail. Even if I know I may never wear it :o

Seems I'm a sucker for snake oil after all :(
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure