Hi-Save bonus account with the ICICI Bank

Has anyone opened a Hi-Save bonus account with the ICICI Bank? I have followed a link via this site and opened my account. I am just about to set up my internet banking but I am slightly nervous about transferring the funds. All communication has been by email and which includes account number info and then unique ID info via another email. Some of their graphics look very pretty basic on the emails and I just want to be sure before I transfer cash in. Anyone got any advice?

Comments

• bowlhead99
    bowlhead99 Posts: 12,295 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Post of the Month
    RobStaffs wrote: »
    Some of their graphics look very pretty basic on the emails and I just want to be sure before I transfer cash in. Anyone got any advice?
    1) Rather than doing a test transfer with £50k, do it with something you can afford to lose. Transfer a pound or two. If the emails giving you the account information were incorrect or spoofed, the worse that will happen is that you have lost the pound or two.

2) When you log in to their website using the credentials you were supplied with, do that by independently going on to their actual website and navigating to the correct section. Rather than following a link in an email you have been sent.
  • JEN22
    JEN22 Posts: 612 Forumite
    ignore the above answer. I have investments with them and have done for 5 years. All online. Brilliant to deal with. Our banks could learn a thing or too off them
  • ctdctd
    ctdctd Posts: 1,080 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    JEN22 wrote: »
    ignore the above answer. I have investments with them and have done for 5 years. All online. Brilliant to deal with. Our banks could learn a thing or too off them

Whilst the ICICI bank is fine and FSCS protected, what's wrong with Bowlhead99's answer?

Both points are basic common sense when using any online bank.
    Do Money Saving sites make you buy more bargains - and spend more money?
  • I've opened the HiSAVE Bonus Saver Series Two with the 1.35% on balances over £750, or at least I tried to open that one and eventually after over two weeks I now have an account. But I'm not even certain if the right account has been opened. It's confusingly named and the interest rate is not displayed. I've messaged them to ask.
  • RobStaffs
    RobStaffs Posts: 308 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    bowlhead99 wrote: »
    1) Rather than doing a test transfer with £50k, do it with something you can afford to lose. Transfer a pound or two. If the emails giving you the account information were incorrect or spoofed, the worse that will happen is that you have lost the pound or two.

2) When you log in to their website using the credentials you were supplied with, do that by independently going on to their actual website and navigating to the correct section. Rather than following a link in an email you have been sent.

Thanks for that. I have take your comments on board and it looks fine.
  • BRYNEL
    BRYNEL Posts: 20 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    The Icky,icky (ICICI) bank,is a joke.Avoid like the plague
  • mackemdave
    mackemdave Posts: 769 Forumite
    edited 8 March 2018 at 4:07PM
    Why is it a joke...I have an account with them
  • SpiraliS
    SpiraliS Posts: 15 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    ICICI has its headquarters in India.

Their application process is hideously slow. I applied for their HiSave account on 19th February and have been drip-fed an email once a week with an update on their opening process, which inexplicably involves them confirming details you have already provided: Firstly, your linked account (already stated that in application process), a week later confirming my direct debit details (again, already did that when I applied). You don't need to reply to the emails or confirm anything, it's just info. Then a few days later a "test" of my direct debit with £1 coming out of my account. And finally today, 15 days later, to say my account is open..... but I can't login because they are sending my password in the post, which will arrive "within the next 7 working days".

To be honest I've lost interest (in every sense) waiting for ICICI so I would just avoid them if you can. Opt for a rate which is similar, perhaps the Post Office savings account @ 1.30% which is UK-based and a million times quicker to open.
    June 2018 diary:
    Debt: £13,169.83 (all on 0% CC til Sept 2018, repaying £500 a month)
    Mortgage: £191,000 (on Repayment, 5-yr fix @ 2.39%)

Savings: £12,300 in various accounts @ between 1-5%, milking until August when will pay off CC
  • Aidy
    Aidy Posts: 2,325 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Not even 20th century!

Account opening I sent shocking. Even quote 3 days to change a phone number

Went to Tesco bank in the end - 0.04% less but account opened in 10 minutes
  • mackemdave
    mackemdave Posts: 769 Forumite
    Aidy wrote: »
    Not even 20th century!

Account opening I sent shocking. Even quote 3 days to change a phone number

Went to Tesco bank in the end - 0.04% less but account opened in 10 minutes
    I was able to change my address and telephone number on line..it says any changes should be affective within 24 hrs...Ive been with them nearly 18 mths and cant say Ive ever had a problem with them..worse banks out there than ICICI
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure