LED lightbulb has begun to not work properly

I have a normal ceiling LED bulb which has been working fine for over a year until yesterday. Now it refuses to turn off. When I switch it off, the bulb just flickers. When it is on it behaves perfectly emitting the correct amount of light with no flicker.
Suspecting the bulb, I replaced it with another led bulb but that exhibited the same behavior, it too just flickers when I try to turn it off. Next I tried an old fashioned Incandescent bulb and found that it works as it should do and so have left it in.
So I was hoping someone might have ideas about what the problem could be. I don't have a dimmer switch so I can rule out the LED incompatibly issues(especially as it has been working properly for over a year). Could it be that the switch itself might be faulty and that LED bulbs are more sensitive to it than incandescent bulbs?

Comments

• Aylesbury_Duck
    Aylesbury_Duck Posts: 13,959 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    It does sound as if there's something amiss with the wiring, fitting or switch, causing a small amount of current to pass when the switch is off. Just enough to power an LED but not enough for a traditional bulb?
  • missile
    missile Posts: 11,684 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    It is the switch or possibly defective wiring. If the switch were working correctly there would be no power getting to the bulb.
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home :iloveyou:
  • thor
    thor Posts: 5,483 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Maybe it is the switch as it is a moving part which I suppose could become defective. I've had a look at the cabling and it looks sound so I'll probably buy a replacement and see how that goes.
  • Aylesbury_Duck
    Aylesbury_Duck Posts: 13,959 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Whilst you've got the power off to replace the switch, take the opportunity to inspect the fitting and its connections. Over time and through heat, fittings can become brittle, as can old wiring. You might have a loose connection or a bridge between two wires that have partially lost their insulation. Something is completing the circuit intermittently.
  • If/when you check the switch and wiring, it would be a good idea to turn off all the power in your house and not just the lighting circuit.

If there is damaged wiring somewhere and the cables to the light fitting are picking up power from elsewhere, you could possibly still get a shock despite the lighting circuit being made safe.
  • missile
    missile Posts: 11,684 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    thor wrote: »
    Maybe it is the switch as it is a moving part which I suppose could become defective. I've had a look at the cabling and it looks sound so I'll probably buy a replacement and see how that goes.
    Maybe you can use your hammer? :rotfl:.
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home :iloveyou:
  • brightontraveller
    brightontraveller Posts: 1,379 Forumite
    edited 9 March 2018 at 5:23PM
    thor wrote: »
    I have a normal ceiling LED bulb which has been working fine for over a year until yesterday. Now it refuses to turn off. When I switch it off, the bulb just flickers. When it is on it behaves perfectly emitting the correct amount of light with no flicker.
    Suspecting the bulb, I replaced it with another led bulb but that exhibited the same behavior, it too just flickers when I try to turn it off. Next I tried an old fashioned Incandescent bulb and found that it works as it should do and so have left it in.
    So I was hoping someone might have ideas about what the problem could be. I don't have a dimmer switch so I can rule out the LED incompatibly issues(especially as it has been working properly for over a year). Could it be that the switch itself might be faulty and that LED bulbs are more sensitive to it than incandescent bulbs?

I'd go with"final circuit cable capacitance";
    (more common in two way and intermediate switching) LED"s require very little current to drive the lamp hence glow, flicker etc Some remedies add a snubber (100% works) , change all or some of the lamps for different make, (50% of the time will rectify ) replace switching (50% of the time will rectify )for different make, add GLS filament lamp to the circuit, Very much doubt its wiring etc
  • Risteard
    Risteard Posts: 1,881 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    (more common in two way and intermediate switching) LED"s require very little current to drive the lamp hence glow, flicker etc Some remedies add a snubber (100% works) , change all or some of the lamps for different make, (50% of the time will rectify ) replace switching (50% of the time will rectify )for different make, add GLS filament lamp to the circuit, Very much doubt its wiring etc

I would agree with that analysis.
    RECI & Safe Electric Registered Electrical Contractor
    NICEIC Approved Contractor
    ECA Registered Member
  • Keep_pedalling
    Keep_pedalling Posts: 16,578 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic

If that was the problem I would have thought the issue would occur from day one not start over a year after fitting the first led bulb
  • If that was the problem I would have thought the issue would occur from day one not start over a year after fitting the first led bulb
    The answer is really if you understand why, causes etc for a more in depth technical answer etc just google it...

If you lack the knowledge certainly your thought would seam logical, As you don't need to know electrical properties, characteristics of components etc to install them its only really if something is wrong or seams so it can it be handy...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure