PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

A Simpler Life 2018

Comments

• "Simple pleasures don!!!8217;t cost much - good quality freshly ground coffee made in a proper coffee machine (an investment that soon pays for itself) after a walk in the fields with our border collie are pleasant routines. As is sharing food and laughs with friends. Designer stuff, celebrity magazines, reality TV shows, people posting inane comments on Twitface - you can shove them where the sun doesn!!!8217;t shine."

Hello - I have been a lurker of these boards for a while but when I read this quote, I knew I had to subscribe to this thread - it was though I had written it myself! I hope I am not too late to join! We have always lived a pretty simple life but I am looking forward to finding new inspiration and ideas.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,090 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Jonesy88 wrote: »
    Hello, please can I join in :wave:

I've just finished reading the thread (phew!) and have taken in some of the lovely ideas and recipes.

I'm what is termed a "millennial" and the same age as bluegreen143. I'm the product of a mum who taught me to be independent and have the career I want, as she did. I'm incredibly grateful for that, but it came at the expense of not learning how to cook from scratch (because she didn't know) or the basics of sewing, knitting etc (something my mum does do very well). I am getting there with cooking :)

My mum was part of a family who had little money as a child (late 50's). It affected her and her siblings in different ways - one has the heating up high permanently, one insists on keeping up with the Jones and my mum, well, she hoards food stuffs as if war is looming. As a result, she loves to buy me food presents weekly (I moved out nearly a decade ago), I appreciate her and her intent, but does lead to waste. If I say I don't want anything, she will just get what she thinks I would need/like.

Anyway, back to the point of the thread, I really want to live a simple life. I love things to be tidy and fairly minimalistic, i'm also really starting to wake up to the effects of plastic in our environment. I feel I'm making strides iro of the above but I have an upcoming "problem". I'm approaching a big birthday and I don't actually want anything.

What do I do and what do I say when people ask me what I would like? Several family members have already said they refuse to get vouchers etc for a major birthday, but I don't want something I won't appreciate and will end up giving away. Do any of you lovely people have any ideas or inspiration?

What about an " Adopot a "....panda, monkey, etc etc? Or something that is actually consumable and won't be cluttering your life forever? On my 60th my OH organised a lovely afternoon tea for 20 friends and family....I still have the memories and photos.
  • Lilith1980
    Lilith1980 Posts: 2,100 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    ploppy57 wrote: »
    With reference to the soap discussion from previous posts. Has anybody used Wild Olive products? I have used their bath tea bags and bath Fizzers but thinking of trying their soaps. They are not that cheap ...about £4.99 for 100g but do appear to be quite natural.

Funny enough I've been looking a soaps/shampoo bars to see about trying them. Just been looking at the Wild Olive website and they're not too far from me. I might have to pop into their store. Their soaps seem cheaper than some other places I've looked at. Might be worth giving them a go :)
  • System
    System Posts: 178,090 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Lilith1980 wrote: »
    Funny enough I've been looking a soaps/shampoo bars to see about trying them. Just been looking at the Wild Olive website and they're not too far from me. I might have to pop into their store. Their soaps seem cheaper than some other places I've looked at. Might be worth giving them a go :)

If the soap is as good as the tea bags and bath Fizzers, they will be lovely. Let us know what you think of them. I may order some.....or try and talk OH into a night away in Buxton to look at their shop....lol
  • Jonesy88 wrote: »

I've just finished reading the thread (phew!) and have taken in some of the lovely ideas and recipes.

I'm what is termed a "millennial" and the same age as bluegreen143. I'm the product of a mum who taught me to be independent and have the career I want, as she did. I'm incredibly grateful for that, but it came at the expense of not learning how to cook from scratch (because she didn't know) or the basics of sewing, knitting etc (something my mum does do very well). I am getting there with cooking :)

My mum was part of a family who had little money as a child (late 50's). It affected her and her siblings in different ways - one has the heating up high permanently, one insists on keeping up with the Jones and my mum, well, she hoards food stuffs as if war is looming. As a result, she loves to buy me food presents weekly (I moved out nearly a decade ago), I appreciate her and her intent, but does lead to waste. If I say I don't want anything, she will just get what she thinks I would need/like.

Anyway, back to the point of the thread, I really want to live a simple life. I love things to be tidy and fairly minimalistic, i'm also really starting to wake up to the effects of plastic in our environment. I feel I'm making strides iro of the above but I have an upcoming "problem". I'm approaching a big birthday and I don't actually want anything.

What do I do and what do I say when people ask me what I would like? Several family members have already said they refuse to get vouchers etc for a major birthday, but I don't want something I won't appreciate and will end up giving away. Do any of you lovely people have any ideas or inspiration?

:hello: Jonesy88, welcome to the thread. What a wonderful mum you have:)
    The suggestions for a big birthday have all been great - as an ‘older’ person I really loved the idea of a posh afternoon tea!

Can I throw one into the pot:question:
    How about an evening or weekend course? E.g. cooking, sewing or knitting or maybe some other type of activity like pottery or something arty or something educational? Something that you have always wanted to do but couldn’t justify the expense to yourself.

In years gone by I treated myself to an hour a week for six weeks on a cake decorating course - I used to bake a lot & one of my colleagues had asked me to make her wedding cake:eek:
    The cake part was easily sorted but the decorating was a bit out of my league. I had a great time, learnt quite a bit & really enjoyed meeting new people who had varying reasons for being on the course. The cake, three tiers with a different flavour for each tier & the single tier sponge cake appeared to be a great success. I was mentioned in the speeches & loads of people thanked me. I went on to make a second wedding cake & several themed children’s cakes.
    I still remember quite a bit of what I learned but have passed on the baton & the tools to a great niece who has a small part-time business making cakes. I have to admit that her cakes really do look professionally made :drool:

Anyway, I wish you luck in making your choice & then persuading family & friends of the immense joy you will get from whatever you have requested.

To a Simpler Life

MrsSD
    Be Kind. Stay Safe. Break the Chain. Save Lives. 

2024 Savings Pot Challenge: As a monthly amount, running total = £116.85
    Jan £5; Feb £13; Mch £25; Apr £31:65; May £42.20; Jun £??; July £??; Aug £??; Sep £??; Oct £??; Nov £??; Dec £??.  Grand Total £??
  • Wizzbang
    Wizzbang Posts: 4,716 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Rampant Recycler
    Jonesy88 wrote: »

I don't know about presents for a big birthday as in my family the gifts don't change with the number, perhaps others will have some inspiration. But as a lot of my family seem to be reticent to give vouchers, or vouchers alone - I took a tip from a friend. He asks for all the consumables he will need during the year, that way he can spend his own money on the things he wants (he loves computer games and likes to buy them as they come out). So, he asks for pants, socks, deodorants, toiletries etc. That way everything he asks for is affordable, but he can ask for slightly fancier socks let's say than he might buy himself. He just stores them up for the year. I tried it this Christmas just gone and it worked quite well.

I've heard of older people asking for books of stamps, toilet roll and all sorts! Now I don't know whether my family would give that, but if it's what you want/ need - might be worth asking. Could be an excuse to ask for some slightly more upmarket food items, just to try them out?
    Minimalist
    Extra income since 01/11/12 £36,546.45

• hello again - just realised I didn't quote you properly - a newbie - please bear with me, I'm a bit of a technophobe! :o
  • Lilith1980
    Lilith1980 Posts: 2,100 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    ploppy57 wrote: »
    or try and talk OH into a night away in Buxton to look at their shop....lol

That's a great idea! :rotfl:
  • dolly84
    dolly84 Posts: 5,851 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    DFWDee wrote: »
    hello again - just realised I didn't quote you properly - a newbie - please bear with me, I'm a bit of a technophobe! :o

Welcome to the thread.

Thick blanket of fog here today for the second day running, plan for today is work, bread making, dog walking and school run.
    Debt Free and now a saver, conscious consumer, low waste lifestyler

Fashion on the Ration 28/66
  • alice-mary
    alice-mary Posts: 249 Forumite
    Jonesy 88, when I left my last job, I asked for a donation to one of my favourite charities. It wasn't difficult for my colleagues to do on-line, (no going searching the shops for something suitable and no faffing with wrapping anything), it meant that I didn't get more STUFF and best of all, the charity got a nice donation! Everybody was a winner IMHO.

Alice
    xx
    Debts in March 2007:
    Loan £24,180 Argos Card £2000 C Card £2000 O/draft £2000 Mortgage £113,000
    Debts in Jan 2020:Loan £2900 Sister £0
    Argos Card £0 :j C Card £0 O/draft £0 :j
    Mortgage £96,000 (finally on a repayment mortgage :) )
    Getting there slowly .....
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport