How to get an instant return on Premium Bonds

Options
Use your Tesco Current Account Debit Card!

"collect 1 point per £8 spent in each debit card purchase transaction (£8 minimum) outside Tesco."

I purchased £1500 of premium bonds a few days ago as a place to hold the Tax I have been setting aside for my self assessment.

Today I checked my clubcard account and indeed I have been awarded the points.

My initial reaction was to consider cycling money to and from my Premium Bond account (withdrawals go to my TSB account) to make 1 Million Points, but my morals held me back.:D

Also if anyone is not aware, you can also earn points from other investment platforms that accept deposits via Debit Card. I earn points from my Nutmeg and Vanguard deposits.

Comments

• Alexland
    Alexland Posts: 9,653 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I know it makes sense to open this as a joint account for our Nutmeg and Orbis deposits but we already have 2 joint and 6 individual bank accounts and given this is a time limited offer and even if we can use our existing Tesco credit card logins (we have 5 credit cards for various offers) its just becoming too many accounts to track!
  • ValiantSon
    ValiantSon Posts: 2,586 Forumite
    Options
    cjv wrote: »
    Use your Tesco Current Account Debit Card!

"collect 1 point per £8 spent in each debit card purchase transaction (£8 minimum) outside Tesco."

I purchased £1500 of premium bonds a few days ago as a place to hold the Tax I have been setting aside for my self assessment.

Today I checked my clubcard account and indeed I have been awarded the points.

My initial reaction was to consider cycling money to and from my Premium Bond account (withdrawals go to my TSB account) to make 1 Million Points, but my morals held me back.:D

Also if anyone is not aware, you can also earn points from other investment platforms that accept deposits via Debit Card. I earn points from my Nutmeg and Vanguard deposits.

I guess £1.87 is better than nothing.

If I were you I'd go back to the original plan of cycling the money in and out.
  • cjv
    cjv Posts: 513 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Newshound!
    Options
    Alexland wrote: »
    I know it makes sense to open this as a joint account for our Nutmeg and Orbis deposits but we already have 2 joint and 6 individual bank accounts and given this is a time limited offer and even if we can use our existing Tesco credit card logins (we have 5 credit cards for various offers) its just becoming too many accounts to track!

Indeed, If I did not already have my Tesco account I would not bother adding it to my growing list of current accounts just for this reason. Nice free money if you invest via debit card and can use this option though. :)
    ValiantSon wrote: »
    I guess £1.87 is better than nothing.

If I were you I'd go back to the original plan of cycling the money in and out.

I have my eye on some Denby Tableware currently on offer via clubcard points, so I can multiply that £1.87 by three.. I'm rich!
  • Alexland
    edited 14 February 2018 at 11:32PM
    Options
    Denby stuff is good especially on Clubcard points. We have invested heavily in the Denny White range over the past 10 years and still have boxes of the stuff under the staircase.

It's an improvement on the 50p Woolworths plate that I could afford after buying my first property.
  • ValiantSon
    ValiantSon Posts: 2,586 Forumite
    Options
    cjv wrote: »
    I have my eye on some Denby Tableware currently on offer via clubcard points, so I can multiply that £1.87 by three.. I'm rich!

:)

(Meeting post length requirements).
  • cjv
    Options
    Denby stuff is good especially on Clubcard points. We have invested heavily in the Denny White range over the past 10 years and still have boxes of the stuff under the staircase.

It's an improvement on the 50p Woolworths plate that I could afford after buying my first property.

I am hoping to grab a few of the Denby sets on offer and stash them away for my first property purchase, that could be 1-5 years away... I like to plan in advance!
  • Alexland
    Options
    Nice. I just had that one small plate probably designed for a pudding. I don't know what my wife (then prospective girlfriend) thought when she came around and saw me living like that!
  • cjv
    Options
    Nice. I just had that one small plate probably designed for a pudding. I don't know what my wife (then prospective girlfriend) thought when she came around and saw me living like that!

Either that sharing a plate is so romantic, or what the hell have I got myself into! Pick one :D
  • Kim_13
    Kim_13 Posts: 2,433 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Thanks for this, I will make sure I do this if I buy any more. I did not the last time as I read in the terms that payments to financial firms (or some wording along those lines) did not earn the points, so simply bought using my Nationwide card as most of the money had matured from a regular saver there.
  • Ken68
    Ken68 Posts: 6,825 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Energy Saving Champion Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    Thanks cjv.....t&c's....https://www.tescobank.com/current-accounts/
    Would this work for NS&I bonds ?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills