PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Underpinning / subsidence

Morning all,

We recently put and offer on a property which was accepted (ours is also under offer), after some digging on our local councils planning portal we have discovered that in 1996 the property was underpinned due to subsidence. The selling agents neglected to mention any of this (obviously) after probing the vendors they stated it was due to tree roots under the garage.

Our current contents / household insurance provider (LV) have essentially told us they wont insure us at our new property which is workable. However my question is has anyone had any experience of this and did it affect your mortgage application in anyway? Do we need to do any extra checks? Due to it being 20+ yrs ago will my local authroity hold the details on work completed?

Thanks in advance

Sam

Comments

• csgohan4
    csgohan4 Posts: 10,587 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 13 February 2018 at 9:52AM
    Advisable to get a structural survey of the house to make sure it is sound, who knows what else the vendor is hiding.

It may come up in the survey it may not, but if it does and there are ongoing issues, lenders may put a lower value or put a retention on it limiting how much you can borrow
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land/Estate Agents"

G_M/ Bowlhead99 RIP
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,955 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Something underpinned 20 years ago with no further movement, may be better secured than anything.

Providing there has been no recent movement, you should be able to find lenders and insurers.

Always worth asking the vendors who they currently insure with.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    No one here can tell you what the local authority may hold on this; you'll only be able to find out by asking them. It's certainly possible paperwork exists which isn't on-line yet. My local authority only made paperwork that old available on-line in 2017.

As you are finding, with lenders and insurers, a willingness to engage with underpinned property varies, and then each case will be judged on its merits.

My daughter bought an underpinned house, which had plenty of documentation from 1995 when the work was done. She only needed a buildings survey which confirmed no significant movement in 20 years, which is plenty of time for reinforcement to be tested. She has ordinary mortgage deal and doesn't find the house expensive to insure.
  • hazyjo
    hazyjo Posts: 15,470 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    The selling agents neglected to mention any of this (obviously) after probing the vendors they stated it was due to tree roots under the garage.
    How would they have known? I doubt the vendors would have told them - or do you know different?
    2023 wins: *must start comping again!*
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    hazyjo wrote: »
    How would they have known? I doubt the vendors would have told them - or do you know different?

They may or may not have known, but attempting to prove what they knew will likely be unproductive.

However, if they claim not to have known and valued on the basis of ignorance in this regard, then there is more reason to offer at a price reflective of the 'new' situation!
  • Thank you for all the replies, and I 100% agree we have no way of proving if the agents withheld information so there's little or not point doing anything about it.

Having spoken to various professionals and surveyors we decided not to purchase due to the complications around insurance, mortgaging and future re-sales.

Thank you again for all your help!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport