Trader refusing to refund depoist

Options
Hi All

I put a £200 deposit down on a second hand vehicle purchase price £1600 from a Trader on Autotrader.

Paid £200 deposit by Visa debit at the trader premises.

Trader agreed verbally to the following on full payment;

Replace right size car battery as a smaller one was fitted.
Service the vehicle including sparkplugs
Replace driver side mirror.

I called trader to arrange date to pick up car & pay the remainder.

The trader has changed his mind regards to doing a full service and more importantly wants me to sign and agreement stating that this purchase is on a buyer beware basis. I told him that this is not a private/aution sale. You as a trader must protect me as a buyer that the vehicle is fit for the purpose.

Trader is adamant that I must accept the vehicle as I had seen it.

He is refusing to return my deposit.

Visa said you are not protected as I paid with a chip and pin and need to deal with the trader.

Please advise

Comments

• tacpot12
    tacpot12 Posts: 7,972 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I would advise you to pay a deposit by Credit Card in future.

Do you have the trader's agreement to replace the batery and mirror and to service the car in writing? And do you have their refusal to do so in some hard form; e.g. email or SMS text? If so, I would advise you to walk way from this deal. You don't want to buy a car from this trader at any price.

If you don't have the agreement in writing, you may have to go through with the deal. If you don't have his refusal, see if you can get it via email or SMS text. But don't sign anything you don't want to.
    The comments I post are my personal opinion. While I try to check everything is correct before posting, I can and do make mistakes, so always try to check official information sources before relying on my posts.
  • bobbymotors
    Options
    this trader is an idiot. you can't agree a deal and then back out.

sue them for it.
  • missile
    missile Posts: 11,689 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    this trader is an idiot. you can't agree a deal and then back out.

sue them for it.

... or just a crook. Might be difficult to sue if OP has no written agreement or independent witness to the conversation.
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home :iloveyou:
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Point him to Judge Rinder last week when a car trader tried to get away with sold as seen and got his pants pulled down refunding not only the purchase price but the cost of recovery from the motorway and transporting the vehicle from the customer to the dealership.

The guy is a cowboy.
  • n217970
    n217970 Posts: 338 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    This may or may not be a good idea depending on the dealer but I would rock up outside his "dealership" on Saturday morning and tell everyone arriving about your experience, loudly. Chances are you will be given you £200 back to go away.
  • missile
    missile Posts: 11,689 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    ... or given a hiding ....
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home :iloveyou:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport