PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

mail forwarding before completion

2»

Comments

• Margot123 wrote: »
    My buyers have already notified the Council they are moving in, so bills are coming in their names.
    This started nearly 2 months ago, and we still don't have an exchange date.

My advise is not to redirect anything until completion; it may be annoying to you but not half as annoying as it is to a seller receiving a PROSPECTIVE buyer's post and bills.

Margot123 - I feel your pain!! I keep having to go round and check the mail for our house (we moved out) as the current buyers have attempted to switch utilities - which is a complete pain in the proverbial - I had to make 3x as many phone calls s them to sort out the mess - what are you doing about it? (I advised solicitors and EA but opening all mail until exchange)
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    "Get a grip" is not rude. It is sound advice, which I followed up with an explanation of why.

As bowlhead99 says above, you need to decide what works for you, or whether you're going to sit back and let others (your solicitor, your sellers, their sellers etc) dictate timescales and processes.

You indicated concern about the short timescale, hence my advice that you stop sitting back and start.... getting a grip.
  • You have said I was not instructing my solicitors properly. Do you have some official guidance? Or just having a pop? I have spoken to them today, they have said the other solicitors are dealing with both the people below and above us in the chain and said they are hoping to call back later to exchange. There's a way to speak to people. Sorry I asked.
  • KittenChops
    KittenChops Posts: 327 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 12 February 2018 at 1:05PM
    You have said I was not instructing my solicitors properly. Do you have some official guidance? Or just having a pop? I have spoken to them today, they have said the other solicitors are dealing with both the people below and above us in the chain and said they are hoping to call back later to exchange. There's a way to speak to people. Sorry I asked.
    Earlier you said...
    ...I've emailed them asking about this but I've got a feeling they are planning to exchange and complete same day or the day before...
    Why aren't you instructing your solicitor as to when you want to exchange & complete?? (genuine question)
  • ReadingTim
    ReadingTim Posts: 3,970 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Given we're living in the age of direct debits, online billing, paperless correspondence and so on; how often do you get anything meaningful in the post anyway? As soon as you know you're moving, notify your bank, utility providers, DVLA etc of your new address - don't simply rely on a mail redirect.

And assuming you haven't fallen out with your buyer in the same way you've fallen out with other posters on this thread, why not leave a note asking if they'd mind forwarding any mail which gets delivered before the redirect kicks in? You could even print off a page or two of address labels and leave that in the house...
  • There must be a reason why the solicitor suggested the 16th. Perhaps this is being driven by the requirements of someone else in the chain?

I would just ask the solicitor about where the timescales have come from. You can set a reasonable exchange and completion date.

It is sensible to have at least a few days between exchange and completion. There are lots of threads on this forum about issues that have arisen where people try to exchange and complete on the same day.

If you are having a very short gap between exchange and completion, you will need to make sure that your solicitor receives the necessary funds from you (e.g. to cover stamp duty) in advance, as those funds will be needed before the solicitor can complete.
  • I'm not here to be interrogated especially in this tone. Most of the questions I have been asked are not going to help with my original post. I came for advice and I give advice on other posts.
    We exchanged today. I tried to set up mail redirect but it kept failing for some reason so I decided to leave it and I'll just tell everyone as soon as we move in. I run a business from home plus we have hospital appointments coming through for our child. It doesn't really matter why though does it. I was just wondering what the done thing was. Thanks for the advice.
  • martindow
    martindow Posts: 10,218 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I'm not here to be interrogated especially in this tone. Most of the questions I have been asked are not going to help with my original post. I came for advice and I give advice on other posts.
    We exchanged today. I tried to set up mail redirect but it kept failing for some reason so I decided to leave it and I'll just tell everyone as soon as we move in. I run a business from home plus we have hospital appointments coming through for our child. It doesn't really matter why though does it. I was just wondering what the done thing was. Thanks for the advice.
    I'm glad you exchanged and presumably you are happy with Friday as the completion date.

House buying is stressful but taking it out on posters here who have given you good advice is not helpful to anyone, yourself included.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure