Should I claim on a £1200 keying?

steveyme
steveyme Posts: 67 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
edited 9 February 2018 at 3:01PM in Motoring
Had my car keyed across three panels yesterday. Quotes are coming in circa £1200. I do have that money available to me, but that doesn't mean I can afford it, I just save hard. But should I claim on insurance? I'm cynical, and fully believe that over the next 5 years of having to declare that claim, they will increase my premium not only to cover it, but profit, too, probably by 10-15%. I also doubt the claim would fully disappear from my records, ever. Thoughts?!

Comments

• missile
    missile Posts: 11,684 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Some insurers do not charge excess for vandalism claim.

You are correct, your base premium will increase, but I doubt if it will increase by £1200.

Easy to check by how much. Enter your details for an online quote, with and without declaring this "claim".
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home :iloveyou:
  • Car_54
    Car_54 Posts: 8,212 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    missile wrote: »
    Some insurers do not charge excess for vandalism claim.

You are correct, your base premium will increase, but I doubt if it will increase by £1200.

Easy to check by how much. Enter your details for an online quote, with and without declaring this "claim".

I have had a number of claims over the years, and the premiums have never increased by anything like the repair costs, even over 5 years.

Claim, that's what you're paying them for.
  • mbwoy84
    mbwoy84 Posts: 24 Forumite
    What car is it?

£1200 seems like a lot of money for repainting 3 panels. It!!!8217;s only if a panel was peppered with dings that it should cost that sort of money and not a scratch. Speaking as a body shop owner.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    mbwoy84 wrote: »
    What car is it?

£1200 seems like a lot of money for repainting 3 panels. It!!!8217;s only if a panel was peppered with dings that it should cost that sort of money and not a scratch. Speaking as a body shop owner.

Then as a bodyshop owner you would be aware that if it was a metallic paint then in order for the repair not to stick out like a sore thumb you'd need to repaint the whole side of that car.

If you are truly a bodyshop owner which I doubt then I hate to think about what the quality of your work looks like.
  • How do you know it won't happen again after spending £1200?
  • ritesh
    ritesh Posts: 394 Forumite
    As above, you don't know if this is malicious damage.

Can you live with it and have it repaired when you come to sell the car? Depending on the value of the car you can have all repairs done in one go which will be cheaper.
    "I think I spent 72.75% of my life last year in the office. I need a new job!!"
  • missile
    edited 10 February 2018 at 11:39AM
    Car_54 wrote: »
    I have had a number of claims over the years, and the premiums have never increased by anything like the repair costs, even over 5 years.

Claim, that's what you're paying them for.

Read my post, before misquoting me with your idiot comments.

We cannot make such glib assertions. We don't know OPs circumstances. A young / new driver with a poor record and an expensive car will have a higher premium than an experienced driver with good record and 10 year old Nissan Micra. A percentage increase in his base premium could be significant, but as I said it seems unlikely that it will be more than £1200.
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
  • Car_54
    Car_54 Posts: 8,212 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    missile wrote: »
    Read my post, before misquoting me with your idiot comments.

We cannot make such glib assertions. We don't know OPs circumstances. A young / new driver with a poor record and an expensive car will have a higher premium than an experienced driver with good record. A percentage increase in his base premium could be significant, but as I said it seems unlikely that it will be more than £1200.

1. Where did I misquote you? The words came directly from your post via the "Quote" function.

2. Where did I disagree with you or criticise you?

3. Which of my comments is "idiot"? I merely recounted my own experience, factually, together with my advice to the OP to claim.
  • vikingaero
    vikingaero Posts: 10,920 Forumite
    What's your excess? £100? £500? £1,000?
    The man without a signature.
  • missile
    edited 10 February 2018 at 3:19PM
    Car_54 wrote: »
    1. Where did I misquote you? The words came directly from your post via the "Quote" function.

2. Where did I disagree with you or criticise you?

3. Which of my comments is "idiot"? I merely recounted my own experience, factually, together with my advice to the OP to claim.

Why did you choose to quote my post when making your comment? Most do this, if and when they disagree with or wish to respond to a.n.others post :p
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport