Dealer 'trying it on' with Failed MOT

Options

Comments

• thefiorano
    Options
    Carrot007 wrote: »
    Glad it passed at another garage but do you realise the above is considered bad usage for a car.

Lot's of motorway use is the good use.

I hope you changed the oil at six months (mini service).

Indeed - also learnt a lesson and bought a trickle charger for the battery ;-)
  • arcon5
    arcon5 Posts: 14,099 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Did you do as suggested and actually check the mot failure sheet on the gov.uk website? As service criteria is much more stringent than mot requirements so it's common for work to be required and it pass an mot. Albeit their quotes are astonishing
  • Muscle750
    Muscle750 Posts: 1,075 Forumite
    Options
    Only today ive heard of a ford dealer trying to charge someone wait for it ................£200 to replace a number plate light bulb which was the only item it failed on for its MOT. Their statement was you have to strip the whole tailgate down..................total utter garbage
  • Carrot007
    Carrot007 Posts: 4,534 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 7 February 2018 at 7:35PM
    Options
    Muscle750 wrote: »
    Only today ive heard of a ford dealer trying to charge someone wait for it ................£200 to replace a number plate light bulb which was the only item it failed on for its MOT. Their statement was you have to strip the whole tailgate down..................total utter garbage

I infact had that same failure at my last MOT. I think it was 60p. (Not technicalyl my MOT OH's but I took it!). Does not suprise me on some ford's though. Some KA's you had to remove the wheel to replace a front bulb.

This is the designed by computers problem. Computers don't consider ease of access yet. Still all LED on new cars so does not really matter anymore.
  • angrycrow
    angrycrow Posts: 1,078 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Please could someone enlighten me, where is the bump stop on the front suspension. I have stripped and reinstalled front suspension assemblies on many cars and never found a bump stop. This is cars with McPhersons struts and the unique crank arm suspension on the rover p6.

Unless i am missing something the bump stops are at the rear of the car.
  • arcon5
    Options
    angrycrow wrote: »
    Please could someone enlighten me, where is the bump stop on the front suspension. I have stripped and reinstalled front suspension assemblies on many cars and never found a bump stop. This is cars with McPhersons struts and the unique crank arm suspension on the rover p6.

Unless i am missing something the bump stops are at the rear of the car.

McPherson strut setup usually slot over the rod of the strut so behind the spring.
  • arcon5
    Options
    pic15.jpg
  • angrycrow
    angrycrow Posts: 1,078 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Thanks Arcon, I would consider that part of the shock but can see why it would be referred to as the bump stop.

Still smell a rat from the dealer as it would be almost impossible to see with the shock installed on the car unless the dust covers were not installed. I also note op says the dealer changed the shocks last year so would not have expected failure in 12 months.
  • Noree
    Noree Posts: 166 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    edited 15 February 2018 at 11:07PM
    Options
    As mentioned. I would definitely complain to DVSA. This is a serious matter if they are unjustifiably failing an MOT. It could either be a scam or the tester is incompetent. Let them look into it. It will nott slide and will be looked into with integrity.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Muscle750 wrote: »

Depends on the car. On my Mondeo if there is a bulb blown in the high visibility brake light you have to strip the tailgate down to get it out so it wouldn't come as a surprise if the number plate bulb ended up being part of one of these stupid units. It's also not designed to have just one bulb replaced if they blow but to be done as a whole unit and is only listed as a complete unit on the parts list. However being handy with tools I managed to take it apart to replace the one bulb that had gone.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure