Heron Foods Latest Good Buys - Thread Two.

Options
We've had a combined Heron Foods /Farmfoods freezer shops thread for some time, and it's been suggested that we have a separate Heron thread.
So here it is!
From the original post on Thread One (edited):

I am lucky enough to have a branch of Heron Foods in my town. It's a discount freezer chain, similar to Farmfoods (but a bit better in my opinion). It stocks heavily discounted brand names and unbranded foods at rock bottom prices.
I thought I'd start a thread focusing on these stores, so that we can share news of good buys.

Hopefully keeping it positive, with not too many posts saying you wouldn't be seen dead shopping there... :p

In Heron in particular, the special offers on brand names come and go in a twinkling, but there are some constants.

I really like their frozen lambs' liver It's too small to fry in pieces but is brilliant for faggots, liver pate and for casseroles.

The cooking bacon is often very salty but also often has huge chunks of gammon in - brilliant for pies, quiches, casseroles, faggots (again!) and pizzas.

I could go on and on but does anyone else have some good buys to share from these stores? (Or advice on what to avoid? Hopefully there won't be too many of those items. :))
Erma Bombeck, American writer: "If I had my life to live over again... I would have burned the pink candle, sculptured like a rose, that melted in storage." Don't keep things 'for best' - that day never comes. Use them and enjoy them now.

Comments

• Ken68
    Ken68 Posts: 6,825 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Energy Saving Champion Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    Haven't been in the last few days..but will be looking for the Hot Cross buns next time. 2 or 3 packets of 4 for £1.
    And second the cheap bacon and huge lumps of gammon. Not sure how to de-salt.
  • mcculloch29
    mcculloch29 Posts: 4,972 Forumite
    Rampant Recycler
    Options
    Ken68 wrote: »
    Haven't been in the last few days..but will be looking for the Hot Cross buns next time. 2 or 3 packets of 4 for £1.
    And second the cheap bacon and huge lumps of gammon. Not sure how to de-salt.

Soaking in water, or milk and water, helps a little bit in de-salting, Often it's difficult to know it's salty until some is cooked, though.
    Erma Bombeck, American writer: "If I had my life to live over again... I would have burned the pink candle, sculptured like a rose, that melted in storage." Don't keep things 'for best' - that day never comes. Use them and enjoy them now.
  • Doc_N
    Doc_N Posts: 8,283 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Thanks, OP - useful to have a thread just for Heron. So many short-term special offers to share!

Spotted today:

Alpen Granola Seed 400g 69p
    Philly individual portions 24 x 16.7g £1.25
    Shreddies 750g 2 for £1
  • mcculloch29
    mcculloch29 Posts: 4,972 Forumite
    Rampant Recycler
    Options
    One for lunchboxes - Kettle Bites Maple BBQ Waves 5 pack of 22g per bag. Reported to me as being £1, but may be cheaper. (Had a pack at the local live music club, they are REALLY nice, person who bought them wasn't sure of the price. 95 calories a pack,) Also £1 in Tesco atm, but £1.60 in Sainsbury's, Waitrose etc.

For a more substantial nibble, Walker's 50g Smoky Bacon crisps at 20p a packet reported on HUK.
  • PLRFD
    PLRFD Posts: 1,125 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Soaking in water, or milk and water, helps a little bit in de-salting, Often it's difficult to know it's salty until some is cooked, though.

Also try cooking gammon in cheap cola.
  • Incredible_1
    Options
    Magnum box 3 x 88ml double peanut butter @£1 are a good buy for peanut butter lovers.
    Battered onion rings 400g at 55p are quite good too.
  • Starchy
    Starchy Posts: 11 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Mushy peas 1.5kg per £.

Probably the cheapest peas in town, but they're very salty so I just boil it and discard the water.
  • lucyhope
    lucyhope Posts: 496 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Jus-roll caramel cookie dough 69p. marked for 12 cookies and they're yummy.
    Sealed Pot Challenge member 28
    2018 total £1520
    2019 total £8995
  • B_M
    B_M Posts: 714 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Alpro coconut ice cream (500ml).

59p each or 2 for £1 and quite nice.

Alpro+Icecream+Coconut+UK_540x576_p_edf8ff.jpg

Bargain.
    No payments from financial products from cash back sites? Put in a complaint direct and if they don't resolve your issue, head straight to the financial ombudsman - it costs the company £550 in referral fees, win or lose.
  • TravellingAbuela
    Options
    Oooh that sounds rather nice B_M. We don't have a Heron sadly, the nearest is about 20 miles away. But we do have a Fulton Foods and they frequently have the same bargains as Heron. I shall have a look tomorrow.
    "If you dream alone it will remain just a dream. But if we all dream together it will become reality"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure