Options
2»

Comments

• Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,028 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    unforeseen wrote: »
    Is that why the SRA found that 25% of wills written by solicitors failed to achieve the desired quality

https://www.sra.org.uk/sra/news/press/will-writing-guidance.page
    I'm not saying solicitors are perfect, we hear of enough disasters on here to know that! But ...
    If solicitors are that bad, goodness knows what a similar survey on will writers would have thrown up.

At least solicitors are regulated and beneficiaries have the ability to seek compensation where negligence has occurred.
    What they said!
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • GrumpyDil
    GrumpyDil Posts: 1,621 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Savvy_Sue wrote: »
    I'm not saying solicitors are perfect, we hear of enough disasters on here to know that! But ...

What they said!
    All I'll add is that trying to get compensation for inadequate preparation of a will by a solicitor isn't as straightforward as one would hope.

However OP if your mother's will is straightforward then absolutely no reason why you can't write the will with your mother.

If you do go down the solicitor route once the will has been drafted do go through the well with your mother and make sure
    A) You understand the various clauses and
    B) They accurately reflect what your mother wants her will to say.
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,028 Forumite
    Options
    GrumpyDil wrote: »
    All I'll add is that trying to get compensation for inadequate preparation of a will by a solicitor isn't as straightforward as one would hope.
    No, I'm sure it's not. But I stand by my belief that having a regulatory body to go to, and a regulated system whereby the clients of a solicitor going out of business / dying / retiring still have a regulatory body to turn to is a lot better than the system for will writers. There are at least two will-writing 'associations' and no will-writer HAS to be a member of either.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Options
    GrumpyDil wrote: »
    If you do go down the solicitor route once the will has been drafted do go through the well with your mother and make sure
    A) You understand the various clauses and
    B) They accurately reflect what your mother wants her will to say.

And that all names, addresses, relationships, etc, are correct - proof-read the whole thing very carefully.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure