Plantronics CS540 Wireless DECT Headset- which phone?

Options
Hi all thanks for your help,

There is so much confusion on Amazons product page regarding this product and I can't find answers online.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B005HI2ME2/ref=ask_ql_qh_dp_hza

Very simply I need to know if this headset is compatible with the BT 8600 Advanced which I purchased for my mother recently.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01BWMWTM6/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

As far as i'm aware both the phone and headset are DECT enabled but one of the amazon answers states the headset is only compatible with a "non-cordless phones" which threw me.

Cheers.

Comments

• DavidFx
    DavidFx Posts: 247 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    From the 1st amazon link under Customer questions &answers

This wireless headset doesn't work with cordless phones only corded. You'll need a DECT/GAP wireless headset (look for Plantronics C565 or Jabra GN9120DG)
  • eskimo26
    eskimo26 Posts: 897 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 13 January 2018 at 5:49PM
    Options
    Shame had a good price point and all the right features- thanks David. It's really not clear though, somebody gives the opposite reply just under it. Also I had to search for that- there's a different question there on my account. Amazon is strange.

Anyone know if there is a headset that lets you use the phone buttons instead of having to transfer back and forth from the headset to the phone?

Any recommendations around the £100 mark give or take? Thanks.
  • DavidFx
    edited 13 January 2018 at 8:16PM
    Options
    I'm a bit confused as to what you are trying to achieve.
    DECT headsets are cordless similar to bluetooth headsets but with a longer range. As the phone is cordless - why not plug some corded headphones into the phone?
    Unfortunately, the BT8600 doesn't have a headset jack but something like this does:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/BT-Diverse-7110-Cordless-Phone/dp/B003BIFHD8
    (but lacks call blocking).

Apologies if I have got the wrong end of the stick here.
  • eskimo26
    Options
    DavidFx wrote: »
    I'm a bit confused as to what you are trying to achieve.
    DECT headsets are cordless similar to bluetooth headsets but with a longer range. As the phone is cordless - why not plug some corded headphones into the phone?
    Unfortunately, the BT8600 doesn't have a headset jack but something like this does:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/BT-Diverse-7110-Cordless-Phone/dp/B003BIFHD8
    (but lacks call blocking).

Apologies if I have got the wrong end of the stick here.

I suggested that, she wants a cordless model. Although I think corded will allow her to use the phones keys? So i'll ask her again.

Atm i'm just looking for a standard DECT headset that will connct to a cordlesss DECT phone. Thanks.
  • DavidFx
    edited 14 January 2018 at 1:51PM
    Options
    Then get a DECT phone with bluetooth connectivity and a bluetooth headset - which will give you a cordless phone with a cordless headset and be able to use the phone keys.
    But.... BT DECT phones with bluetooth - there seems to be some confusion as to whether they will pair with a headset.
    Panasonic bluetooth phones say bluetooth headset compatible.
  • eskimo26
    Options
    Then get a DECT phone with bluetooth connectivity and a bluetooth headset - which will give you a cordless phone with a cordless headset and be able to use the phone keys.
    But.... BT DECT phones with bluetooth - there seems to be some confusion as to whether they will pair with a headset.
    Panasonic bluetooth phones say bluetooth headset compatible.

I heard bluetooth has much poorer consistency in range, call quality etc. compared to DECT. Isn't DECT the general standard in places like call centres?
  • DavidFx
    Options
    A DECT headset will not physically connect to a DECT phone. The DECT phone connects to the basestation as does the cordless DECT headset. The headset acts like another DECT phone in that you can answer a call but you are not able to make a call (no keypad or display).
    Bluetooth does have a much shorter range but this shouldn't be a problem if the phone and headset are on the same person.
    Bluetooth can support very high quality audio - The data rate of bluetooth is 30Mb/s compared with 64kb/s for DECT.
    Why is DECT used in call centres? - DECT is a cordless telephone standard and telephone equipment suppliers are probably more comfortable using their own technology.
  • DoaM
    DoaM Posts: 11,863 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Most call centres these days are probably using USB headsets connected to PCs, and using IP phone technology ... no DECT headsets or phones at all (except maybe for internal or non-customer-related calls).
  • eskimo26
    Options
    A DECT headset will not physically connect to a DECT phone. The DECT phone connects to the basestation as does the cordless DECT headset. The headset acts like another DECT phone in that you can answer a call but you are not able to make a call (no keypad or display).
    Bluetooth does have a much shorter range but this shouldn't be a problem if the phone and headset are on the same person.
    Bluetooth can support very high quality audio - The data rate of bluetooth is 30Mb/s compared with 64kb/s for DECT.
    Why is DECT used in call centres? - DECT is a cordless telephone standard and telephone equipment suppliers are probably more comfortable using their own technology.

Thanks Doam and DavidFX.

So bluetooth witll let her use the handset keys? The only bluetooth phones i could find are the BT 9500 Halo and the Panasonic KX-TGH263.

Apparently the panasonic has the right blueooth protocols to support a headset but the BT phone i've not been able to find much info. on.

Amazon claims this is the new model of the BT 9500 but they haven't put a model number or name or anything in the product description, no mention of bluetooth on the newer model...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/BT-Premium-Cordless-Nuisance-Blocking-Black/dp/B0787G3VRQ/ref=dp_ob_title_ce

I google image searched it with no luck and I couldn't find this newer model on the BT site just the original halo. :/

The newer model looks good if it is what amazon claims it is. I'd like to search for the manual but there isn't enough product information.

ok i think its called BT Premium 090630. Got a few hits with that, going to try and find a manual.
  • eskimo26
    Options
    https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/phones-broadband-and-sat-nav/telephones/telephones/bt-premium-090630-cordless-phone-10171737-pdt.html?istCompanyId=bec25c7e-cbcd-460d-81d5-a25372d2e3d7&istItemId=-wxirxarqtp&istBid=t

It has both DECT and bluetooth 2.1

i'm trying to find the manual to find out if it connects bluetooth headsets as it only mentions mobile phones in the product description.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure