Full time vs Self-Employed. Am I better off now?

Options
Hello all,

Just wondering. Recently I started my own business for the first time and wondering how much better off I am (if at all).

In my previous full-time job I earned £50,000 a year.

Now I earn £400 a day as a self-employed person through my LTD company and expected to work around 200 working days a year. The contracts will be outside IR35.

My claimable expenses are roughly £10,000 a year.

There are calculators out there which suggest I am better off, but from real experience and maybe from similar people here in similar positions if this is good?

Comments

• mr_munchem
    Options
    Just be wary: if you're a Ltd Company, you're not self employed, you're either a director, employee, or both, of that Company. The Company has expenses, you do not (or at least not in the same way as self employed people).

Hope it all works well for you!
  • fishybusiness
    Options
    Your 200 days x £400 per day looks much better, and you'll have more choices around tax.

Probably best advised to take on an accountant who can look at your personal circs and tax plan for you - you'll save more than an accountants fees.
  • Kokolot
    Kokolot Posts: 16 Forumite
    Options
    Hi there,

Thank you both.

I have an accountant but he hardly contacts me about my new situation. Rather I have to contact him, because this is my first experience I am not really sure what to expect from an accountant.

I think he gives me the necessary advice I have asked him so far, but he takes about two days to reply and maybe I was expecting more for paying £134 a month to an accountant.

But besides that point, how does it look financially to you from a daily rate point of view?

I don't get sick often and my contract work is consistent so far without breaks.

I must admit I am still puzzled by the expenses aspect in that I know I can claim expenses, but not sure how to pay myself back the expenses through my own company.

I am averaging around £900 a month in expenses mainly being hotel, subsistence, and mileage.
  • 00ec25
    00ec25 Posts: 9,123 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 13 January 2018 at 11:40PM
    Options
    Kokolot wrote: »
    Hi there,

Thank you both.

I have an accountant but he hardly contacts me about my new situation. Rather I have to contact him, because this is my first experience I am not really sure what to expect from an accountant.

I think he gives me the necessary advice I have asked him so far, but he takes about two days to reply and maybe I was expecting more for paying £134 a month to an accountant.
    so that is a reasonable rate for a Ltd company accounts (and a very good rate if it also includes a personal tax package). Why do you expect your accountant to reply instantly? They are not there to teach you, they gave you a package that includes some level of support, but it does not include teaching you. Read your contract with them and see what it says about asking for and receiving advice. We have over 900 one man consultancy companies in our practice and we could not possibly cope with hand holding on a daily basis. Yes we will sit down and explain the options if the client asks for it, but there comes a point where our time is charged over and above a package price.
    I must admit I am still puzzled by the expenses aspect in that I know I can claim expenses, but not sure how to pay myself back the expenses through my own company.

I am averaging around £900 a month in expenses mainly being hotel, subsistence, and mileage.
    it is vital that you must understand a company is a separate legal entity to you. Until that is clear in your mind you will flounder.
    You are merely an employee/officer of the company. It is the company who has the contracts with the clients and the company then employs you to do the work. As an employee you incur costs performing your work so you claim those costs from the company. The company may claim the costs from its clients ("recharges") or it may have included them in a fixed price day rate. Either way you as employee take money out of the company on presentation to the company of evidence of your costs ie. mileage claims, receipts for hotel bills, restaurant bills, etc. If you want to adopt the "proper" approach you simply add up all your receipts, write the total on a bit of paper, staple the receipts to the page and head the page Expenses claim, date: January 2018, employee name Kokolot

The company keeps those receipts to support the costs it records in its accounts to support its profit calculation. Of course in most one man bands they don't bother with an actual expense claim page. They just wang in the receipts to the accountants periodically and meantime take the money out as and when. That is fine as long as your accountant can tie the money going out directly to the receipts coming in, otherwise it looks like your (taxable) remuneration, not your expenses.

Appreciate than accountants deal with hundreds like you each year so will just process as they see fit based on experience. They won't necessarily instruct you how to operate unless your approach is so messy they have no idea what you are doing and need to "discipline" you to behave in a certain way. The accountants will however let you know (eventually) if the costs you are claiming from the company are not actually allowable costs that a company can pay its employees. Those sort of issues are why you employ an accountant to do Ltd Co accounts. Again if you want to know that up front then you need to check what level of advice your accountants will give without charging you for it. That said you'd have to be doing some pretty unusual things for your accountants not to be able to deal with you in their sleep.
  • Kokolot
    Kokolot Posts: 16 Forumite
    Options
    Taken on board.

How about the original question, am I better off now than when I was full-time?

My cost of living is around £18,000 a year when I was full-time and it is the same now.
  • trailingspouse
    Options
    Are you Kokolot? Or James Fuller?

You're supposed to work out which is best before taking on the major step of setting up a limited company. You're playing with the big boys now.

No-one expects you to know how to do it from the get-go - but we do expect you to listen when you're told. In a previous thread I explained to you how expenses work when you are a limited company. I also explained at length the concept of you and the company being separate entities.

As to paying yourself back the expenses - watch my lips - you work out (supported by receipts) how much your company owes you, and then you pay that money across from the company bank account (please tell me you have a company bank account) to your personal bank account.
    No longer a spouse, or trailing, but MSE won't allow me to change my username...
  • fishybusiness
    fishybusiness Posts: 1,263 Forumite
    edited 15 January 2018 at 9:48AM
    Options
    How about the original question, am I better off now than when I was full-time?

It's a numbers game.

When employed you would be liable for standard PAYE tax/ nat ins and pensions.

As an employee and director of a ltd you have much more choice as to how your earned income is used, including pension planning.

As said, the best person to do the number crunching and work through the most appropriate tax choices is your accountant.

Why not book an appointment with your accountant, ask the same questions you have asked here, and find out what options are open to you?

Edit: Tax rules change year on year, appropriate advice given here now may change after April - use your accountant.
  • Pennywise
    Pennywise Posts: 13,468 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options

If you're not happy, then just change. There are hundreds of accountants out there, and it's very easy to change.
  • motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,473 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 16 January 2018 at 7:47PM
    Options
    Hello all,

Just wondering. Recently I started my own business for the first time and wondering how much better off I am (if at all).

In my previous full-time job I earned £50,000 a year.

Now I earn £400 a day as a self-employed person through my LTD company and expected to work around 200 working days a year. The contracts will be outside IR35.

My claimable expenses are roughly £10,000 a year.

There are calculators out there which suggest I am better off, but from real experience and maybe from similar people here in similar positions if this is good?

Ok, to answer your question, and roughly speaking...

£400 * 200 man days = £80,000

Take off your claimable expenses of £10,000 = £70,000

I would expect you to be able to be paying no more than £12,000 in tax if you're accountant is any good, so thats you down to £58,000. Lets take off another £1,500 to pay him = £56,500.

The salary calculator here -

https://www.thesalarycalculator.co.uk/salary.php

tells me you'd need to be earning £84,000 ish in a PAYE role to equal that.
  • theonlywayisup
    theonlywayisup Posts: 16,031 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    motorguy wrote: »

I would expect you to be able to be paying no more than £12,000 in tax if you're accountant is any good, so thats you down to £58,000. Lets take off another £1,500 to pay him = £56,500.

If the OP is a director then dividends are one of the most tax efficient ways of taking profits from the business.

I haven't been "paid" in nearly 24 years but I have an income from dividends of the companies I am a director of.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure