Scottish Power Smart meter not generating bills

Options
I had an electricity smart meter fitted in September. It is sending readings to Scottish Power but no electricity bills are being generated. I have been billed as normal for the gas which is not a smart meter. My tariff came to an end in December but it will not allow me to change to another tariff until the billing is resolved. My account is currently £567 in credit as they are taking £118 a month by direct debit.

I phoned them a week ago to discuss the problem. The adviser said it would take four days to generate a bill for the electricity then I will be able to change tariffs but nothing has happened.

I have tried calling but can't get through to anyone. I was on hold and then cut off.
Twins, twice the laughs, twice the fun, twice the mess!:j:j

Comments

• matelodave
    matelodave Posts: 8,608 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Make a formal complaint - in writing marked COMPLAINT

I know it takes a bit more effort than phoning but at least you know they've got it if you send it recorded delivery and you've also got proof that they've received it and date when they received it.

You can't get anything done until you've actually formally complained and even then you've got to give them eight weeks before you can involve the Ombudsman.
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
  • House_Martin
    Options
    I think you should edit your post to just "Scottish Power not generating a bill " .Its irrelevant what sort of meter is involved.They have the readings, the smart meter has done its job and transmitted the readings correctly..job done !.
    If Scot Power have not generated a bill then its their internal billing practices which are poor.
  • prettypennies
    Options
    I have managed to speak to someone of the phone. She tried to manually generate a bill, but said it will take 10 days to go through the validation procedure before the bill will be generated so I have to wait another 10 days before it can be resolved. She seemed to think that as I had only had a smart meter fitted for the electricity and not for the gas, it had caused problems with the billing process. Not sure why that would be. She has entered a 'notice of dissatisfaction' on my account.
  • Anthorn
    Anthorn Posts: 4,362 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I had an electricity smart meter fitted in September. It is sending readings to Scottish Power but no electricity bills are being generated. I have been billed as normal for the gas which is not a smart meter. My tariff came to an end in December but it will not allow me to change to another tariff until the billing is resolved. My account is currently £567 in credit as they are taking £118 a month by direct debit.

I phoned them a week ago to discuss the problem. The adviser said it would take four days to generate a bill for the electricity then I will be able to change tariffs but nothing has happened.

I have tried calling but can't get through to anyone. I was on hold and then cut off.

Are you referring to online bills or paper bills sent through the post? In the case of paper bills sent through the post check that Scottish Power has the correct correspondence address and supply address. If they don't that could prevent them from generating a bill.

I have found that Scottish Power has mixed the lines of my address and the resulting address in my account refers to a completely different property and that is causing problems with readings and bill generation.

i.e. if my actual address is 54 Any Square, Any Street, Anytown Scottish Power has 54 Any Street, Anytown.

Scottish power appears to be unable to record my correct address after getting to stage 2 of their complaints procedure so I will likely pass on my complaint to Ofgem.
  • trickytree1963
    Options
    Its likely they hadn't updated the final reads from the old meter . Its unusual to only fit a SM for one fuel, was there any reason they didn't fit one for you Gas meter?
  • Anthorn
    Options
    Anthorn wrote: »
    Are you referring to online bills or paper bills sent through the post? In the case of paper bills sent through the post check that Scottish Power has the correct correspondence address and supply address. If they don't that could prevent them from generating a bill.

I have found that Scottish Power has mixed the lines of my address and the resulting address in my account refers to a completely different property and that is causing problems with readings and bill generation.

i.e. if my actual address is 54 Any Square, Any Street, Anytown Scottish Power has 54 Any Street, Anytown.

Scottish power appears to be unable to record my correct address after getting to stage 2 of their complaints procedure so I will likely pass on my complaint to Ofgem.

Pleased to report that Scottish Power say they have fixed my supply and correspondence addresses. I'll know more when I get my next bill. Their response was quite speedy. My method was to contact them using their contact form linked from the help menu after logging in and going to my account.
  • House_Martin
    Options
    Its likely they hadn't updated the final reads from the old meter . Its unusual to only fit a SM for one fuel, was there any reason they didn't fit one for you Gas meter?
    It is not unusual at all to just fit , firstly an electric smart meter, then return later for the gas meter.
    Just yet another waste of money in the smart meter roll out.Making two trips, when one would do.
    The suppliers have been given the job to fit smart meters by the government when previously the local DNO s had control of meter exchanges.
    They knew what they were doing .unlike the 50 plus suppliers
  • prettypennies
    Options
    The bills are online bills not paper ones.

The electricity smart meter was fitted as I had requested to have the existing economy 7 meter removed. So they switched it for a smart meter and left the old gas meter in place.
  • sevenhills
    sevenhills Posts: 5,886 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I think you should edit your post to just "Scottish Power not generating a bill " .Its irrelevant what sort of meter is involved.They have the readings, the smart meter has done its job and transmitted the readings correctly..job done !.
    If Scot Power have not generated a bill then its their internal billing practices which are poor.

I have a very similar problem. Scottish power installed a smart meter in August, and since then there is no electricity usage shown on my online account.
    I have emailed them twice, and they said "ongoing technical issues" this is the reason for which there is no electricity usage showing online.
    My smart meter seems to be working ok. I am very surprised they don't want my money, 5 months worth of electricity.

I was using about £1 of gas/elec per day, this has now increased to around £2.50 per day; so my monthly payment needs to increase.

My July bill was £13.50, August was £87.50, and then September £8.70 worth of GAS, with gas peaking at £28 in December.
    So I am meant to be £57 in credit, from my £35 monthly payments.

My online account is showing the last real meter reading was in July, then a large estimate bill end of Dec.
    Are smart meter bills shown as estimated?
  • Anthorn
    Options
    sevenhills wrote: »
    My online account is showing the last real meter reading was in July, then a large estimate bill end of Dec.
    Are smart meter bills shown as estimated?

The major point about smart meters is that you don't get any more estimated bills and the actual meter reading is used for every bill.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure