Dog accident

Options
My daughter ran over her own dog by accident she has pet insurance up to £7000 however the vet estimated approx. £6000 . the bill is now nearly £9000. any advice on whether her car insurance would cover this rather than pet insurance any advice gratefully received thank you

Comments

• Warwick_Hunt
    Warwick_Hunt Posts: 1,179 Forumite
    Options
    Unlikely but have a read of her policy document. It’ll most likely refer to damage to third party property.
  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,646 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    She needs to check her policy and possibly check with the insurer. But claiming (if she is able) will increase her premiums for several years, may damage her bonus and could possibly cost more than the £2K shortfall in the long run.
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • jk0
    jk0 Posts: 3,479 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I wonder if pet insurer might not enquire who was driving anyway, and go after their insurer?
  • Car_54
    Car_54 Posts: 8,213 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    What if the cost of "repairs" exceeds the value of the dog?
  • Warwick_Hunt
    Options
    Car_54 wrote: »

Looks like it already had, I guess the dog needs a V23.
  • Joe_Horner
    Joe_Horner Posts: 4,895 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Car_54 wrote: »

She'll have to settle and buy back the salvage?
  • Mercdriver
    Mercdriver Posts: 3,898 Forumite
    Options
    Joe_Horner wrote: »
    She'll have to settle and buy back the salvage?

Sounds like wruff justice to me.
  • Aretnap
    Aretnap Posts: 5,215 Forumite
    Options
    The third party element of her car insurance covers damage that she causes to other people's property as part of its cover for her legal liabilities to other people.

It does not cover damage to her own property as she has no legal liabilities to herself - she cannot sue herself for negligence.

Afraid she has no chance of claiming the extra from her car insurance - and also her pet insurer cannot claim its own costs from her car insurance and won't try.
  • arcon5
    arcon5 Posts: 14,099 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I suppose the question should be how has the bill balooned by 50% more than the estimate... may well be truly unforeseeable issues but worth seeing a breakdown of the bill to date
  • Skippy13
    Skippy13 Posts: 206 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Different species and circumstances but my cat went to the vet with a missing fang and we were told he needed a dental which would be a couple of hundred quid. While he was under they discovered he had a broken jaw, bone infection and needed more teeth removed and his jaw wired which ended up costing over £3600 before he was actually well again. No one was expecting that!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure