PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Ending tenancy early - how to agree winter heating arrangements

2»

Comments

• davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Our problem is that the boiler that is warm constantly costs around £5 a day to run - that's without putting any heating on.
    And without using any hot water? Sounds like there's something wrong with it. But probably too late to try getting it fixed now!
  • davidmcn wrote: »
    And without using any hot water? Sounds like there's something wrong with it. But probably too late to try getting it fixed now!

Yes! It's ridiculous! I already tried to ask the agency about it but they are pretty useless.

Do you know if a tenant is legally obligated to heat a property? We only use the heating for a couple of hours in the morning and a couple of hours at night, and a bit more at the weekend when we are in. I got a temperature sensor for the bedroom and the it went down to 11.8 degrees with 86% humidity! It said it was a wet environment on the sensory. With heating, it went to 14 degrees but the humidity didn't change much. I suspect if we were to manage to lift the temperature to be pretty warm then the humidity might be helped but we really can't sleep in anything warmer than about 15 degrees ha - us Scots too used to cold temps.
  • martindow
    martindow Posts: 10,214 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I know we're liable for the council tax but can apply for exemption as it will be unoccupied and unfurnished.

EDIT - we are in Aberdeen
    In England this is unlikely as councils have different policies and most would not exempt you from CT just because the house was empty.

Scotland no doubt has different rules, but are you sure you would be exempt?
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Y

Do you know if a tenant is legally obligated to heat a property?
    Yes. A tenant is legally obliged to act 'in a tenant-like manner'. That includes ensuring that pipes don't freeze and crack in winter, by keeping a minimum temperature in the property in winter.
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,945 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Given the heating situation I would try and agree a surrender of the tenancy. Even if you have to pay all the rent to what would be the end of the tenancy, at least then you would not have the heating costs or the worry of an empty property with damp and cold issues.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • Hi there,

We are leaving our tenancy 3 months earlier than expected due to finding a house to buy. We've notified the letting agent and the landlord agreed that we could pay for the property to be re-marketed for rent if we paid for it, and the inventory. Nobody has been interested in the property yet therefore I think we will be paying for the three months rent. I know we're liable for the council tax but can apply for exemption as it will be unoccupied and unfurnished.

I think we will also be liable for the electricity bill. This is tricky as it's a pay as you go meter, and the boiler is pretty inefficient. It constantly heats up the water and is warm 24-7. The hot water then fills the radiators (wet electric system). Therefore the boiler requires to be on all of the time if the timed heating is to come on. It's pretty expensive (~£5 a day).

If this is what we have to do, how do we agree on a heating arrangement that will keep the property in good shape? I.e. how many times a day at what temperature. It's a pretty damp flat as it goes so it could be difficult to keep well!

Also - pay as you go energy - am I right in saying if you top up too much you can't get your money back? We won't be very close so it's a pain to have to go and keep topping it up so it doesn't run out while we aren't there.

Any advice appreciated.

EDIT - we are in Aberdeen so it's likely that pipes could freeze.

I would give them the keys back and if needed pay for the remainder of the contract period
    It could probably be a lot cheaper in the long run doing that
    Anything could happen to the property while Your not there, burst pipes, vandalism, squatters or a combination of those, and You would be held accountable afaik

Would be worrying over the empty property when You could be moving on with Your Life and Your new House
    I would pay the rest of the rent owed give them the keys and walk away

http://www.gov.scot/Topics/Government/local-government/17999/counciltax/Secondhomes

Council Tax info for Second Homes in Scotland
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • Socajam
    Socajam Posts: 1,238 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    I agree with the comments about leaving the premises empty and no heat.
    Try and see if you could work out a deal, if you offered to pay say 75% of the existing rent, would they let you out of the contract.
    If you are responsible and there is a leak, the cost will be on you. Do you really want that?
    My tenant just left, so I have an unoccupied property which I will be renovating. In order to obtain insurance I had to guarantee that the heating will be on all the time no lower than 58. Otherwise the insurance company will not not pay out if I have a leak.
    I had my niece set the timer to be on continuous @58 and take a picture of the time/date for safekeeping.
    Also both the gas and electric have to be topped. Just waiting to see how much it cost. Here's hoping that the weather continues to be favourable and my renovations do not take more than 3-4 months,
  • Slithery
    Slithery Posts: 6,046 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    I would pay the rest of the rent owed give them the keys and walk away
    But handing the keys back doesn't end the tenancy, the tenant would still be liable for any damage occurring before the end of the fixed term.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure