PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

New housemate has a pet approved by landlord in 'no pets allowed'

Options
Hi,

As topic says - I live in a shared house and had a new housemate move in yesterday who has got a pet rabbit. It was approved by the landlord despite the contract stating no pets allowed.
The landlord did not check with the rest of the house if it would be okay so it is now too late.

I don't have a problem with pets, in fact I love them but I am a little bit annoyed we were not consulted, especially as I have asthma and rabbit hair does trigger this for me.

Is it worth airing these concerns to landlord? Like I said I do like pets so I don't have a problem as such with that.. but just felt we should have been consulted?
Debt free by April 2018
£6392/£7890

Competition wins 2018: Unicorn and Mermaid colouring books

Comments

• Slithery
    Slithery Posts: 6,046 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    How do you know that the new tenant has the same 'no pets allowed' clause?

Have you seen their tenancy agreement?
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I assume each tenant has a separate tenancy?

So there is no obligation for each tenancy to be identical.

However I'd think it was common courtesy forthe LLto check in the interests of household harmony. And, indeed, financial sense as other tenants might give notice ad leave if they don't like rabbits, which would cost the LL money.
  • Younganddumb
    Options
    Slithery wrote: »
    How do you know that the new tenant has the same 'no pets allowed' clause?

Have you seen their tenancy agreement?

I have not, however, all the properties listed on the landlords website are advertised as 'no pets allowed'.
    Debt free by April 2018
    £6392/£7890

Competition wins 2018: Unicorn and Mermaid colouring books
  • HampshireH
    HampshireH Posts: 4,477 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Quite often "no pets allowed" is usually only enforced for cats and dogs due to possibility of damage.

Caged pets are often seen differently.
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    And the terms of any contract can be amended or deleted by agreement of the partties involved.

If you are not a party to the other housemate's contract you cannot prevent the contract being altered. Hence my post above.
  • glasgowdan
    glasgowdan Posts: 2,967 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'd assume this was a specific allowance due to the nature of a rabbit compared to dogs and cats.

Although, a friend hs a rabbit that isn't in the cage very often and it's perfectly capable of causing a LOT of damage!
  • Owain_Moneysaver
    Options
    A blanket clause of 'no pets allowed' is usually unenforceable anyway.

A few comments about rabbit pie and being short of money at the month end might encourage the rabbit owner to board Bugs with a friend until he can find alternative accommodation.
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    "No pets allowed" often translates into, "that's the default position, but if you can show you're not a loony 10 cat person, or a psychopath with a one-eyed staffie, we might relax it a little, or even a lot, if you first cross our palms with silver."

As cat and ferret owners, that's how we found it worked.
  • Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hi,

As topic says - I live in a shared house and had a new housemate move in yesterday who has got a pet rabbit. It was approved by the landlord despite the contract stating no pets allowed.
    The landlord did not check with the rest of the house if it would be okay so it is now too late.

I don't have a problem with pets, in fact I love them but I am a little bit annoyed we were not consulted, especially as I have asthma and rabbit hair does trigger this for me.

Is it worth airing these concerns to landlord? Like I said I do like pets so I don't have a problem as such with that.. but just felt we should have been consulted?

You rent a room? If so, the LL doesn't have to check anything with you.
  • Lioness_Twinkletoes
    Options
    Hi,

I'd have to ask what you want the outcome to be. On one hand you state that you love animals, then you claim your asthma is triggered by rabbit fur.

I assume if you had been consulted you'd have said no due to the asthma issue, so do you expect the landlord to ask the new tenant to leave or rehome bugs?

If you just think that you should have been consulted and are p1ssed because you weren't then there is little point in raising it with the landlord as it's a ridiculous idea.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure