interactive Investor no longer

Options
I need some advice on trading platform I should use for trading stocks and shares. I have been trading on Interactive Investor for over 6 years but recently they have changed their platform with a merger with TD Direct. Everything is bad about this setup, I honestly like to think myself as a welcomer of change, and I have given it real go. There are obvious negatives like very bad layout, too many clicks are needed to look at balances and lots of other common functions. The costs have risen, but not too much to grumble about. However what I am most annoyed about is the trading options no longer allow you to have a limit sell for an upper limit when the market moves in your favour and a lower limit when the market falls against your favour. I am not a professional trader so I need a safety blankets like this as I cannot afford to look at the markets all the time. I want some recommendation on cheap trading platforms whereby I am able to put a limit sell with upper limit and lower limit. I really like this trading option and for me it offers the right level of security and without the need to constantly looking at the stock market for market price increases.

I am told by Interactive investor that I have until September 2018 whereby I am able to switch my holdings to another trading platform without any costs as I have been with the company for a long time.

Thank you.

Do you like the new Interactive Trader platform? 26 votes

yes
57%
Thrugelmirgreenglidejoebobdarren72traineepensionerredpedstephen160TBC15Gizmo70JohnRoLHW99EdSwippetTheTrackerSean473capital0ne 15 votes
no
42%
triplea35juliamarshbigfersorcererKaystermollycatFrank121Paulrm71adspencegrantaFlobberchops 11 votes

Comments

• granta
    granta Posts: 349 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    no
    I feel the same and every time I have spoken to someone this week, they do not have an answer. I guess staff are having to get used to the new platform too but the standard response seems to be that 'this isn't possible on the new TD platform'!
    I find the new interface much more confusing. It now won't let me use the regular investment facility unless I set up a direct debit whereas previously you could manually transfer a different amount each month.
    And no average share price or trading history on your portfolio page.

Are there any sensibly priced alternatives?
  • greenglide
    greenglide Posts: 3,301 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Hung up my suit!
    Options
    yes
    . It now won't let me use the regular investment facility unless I set up a direct debit whereas previously you could manually transfer a different amount each month.
    Yes, you can.

The DD needs to be in place but once the regular investment is set up but before the payment is actually collected the regular payment can be amended to zero which stops the DD being collected.

From this point every time the regular investment is amended you are asked whether you want the DD to be changed to the new amount, respond with "no" and it stays at zero.

Not particularly intuitive but once set up it "just works".
  • granta
    Options
    no
    Thanks greenglide! That's far more helpful than what their customer services person told me over the 'phone.

Do you know if I can manually transfer money today ready for the regular investment funds to be bought on 20th December? I was told DD is the only way and i'm too late to set that up for December but am keen to invest this month if possible. Thanks
  • greenglide
    Options
    yes
    I thought that the web site told you when the next purchase would be made and it could be changed until the date is moved on?

I would think that there is still time to change the amounts for 20th December but I could be wrong.
  • LHW99
    LHW99 Posts: 4,216 Forumite
    Options
    yes
    I think a third poll option of "still trying to get to grips with it" might have been useful.
    I chose "yes" because I don't exactly not like the new site, but then I haven't yet spent much time on it trying it out - so my opinion may yet change!
  • adspence
    adspence Posts: 30 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 18 December 2017 at 5:40PM
    Options
    no
    greenglide wrote: »
    I thought that the web site told you when the next purchase would be made and it could be changed until the date is moved on?

I would think that there is still time to change the amounts for 20th December but I could be wrong.

I can't see any way on the website to change the date...mine shows 21st...which will obviously miss the 20th. They've not replied to my query as to how exactly to change the date...:( There is no way I can see to change the amount either.
  • greenglide
    Options
    yes
    I was talking about changing the amounts, the date is fixed (or at least it always has been when the platform belonged to TD.

No real changes now it is II (apart from the costs!).
  • soulsaver
    soulsaver Posts: 5,974 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    granta wrote: »
    I feel the same and every time I have spoken to someone this week, they do not have an answer. I guess staff are having to get used to the new platform too but the standard response seems to be that 'this isn't possible on the new TD platform'!
    I find the new interface much more confusing. It now won't let me use the regular investment facility unless I set up a direct debit whereas previously you could manually transfer a different amount each month.
    And no average share price or trading history on your portfolio page.

Are there any sensibly priced alternatives?
    Not sure exactly what you mean by no trading history on portfolio page..
    It's there but with an extra click/s?
    The history is missing due to migration?
    You can't see it at all?
    It's not what it looked like with TD?
    It's not what it looked like with II?
  • greenglide
    Options
    yes
    You can do the same with the current platform.

You do need to set up the DD but after that (and it can be done before the first payment is taken) you can adjust the amount of the DD - this isn't really intuitive. You change the amount of the funds to be bought and this will cause the system to ask if you want to change the amount to be collected by the DD. Set it to zero and leave it there.

The funds / shares to be bought can be adjusted each month and every time you are asked if you want to change the DD you say no.

Quite easy once you figure how to do it.
  • granta
    Options
    no
    greenglide wrote: »
    You can do the same with the current platform.

You do need to set up the DD but after that (and it can be done before the first payment is taken) you can adjust the amount of the DD - this isn't really intuitive. You change the amount of the funds to be bought and this will cause the system to ask if you want to change the amount to be collected by the DD. Set it to zero and leave it there.

The funds / shares to be bought can be adjusted each month and every time you are asked if you want to change the DD you say no.

Quite easy once you figure how to do it.

Thanks greenglide. It will just take a bit of getting used to. On the old platform, I was used making a manual payment the day before the regular investments were taken, and would adjust which shares/funds to buy and what amount up until the last day.

Now you have to decide what amount to invest 10 days beforehand in order for the DD to go ahead, and ii have told me that you need to set up instructions for which funds/shares to buy 10 working days before the investment date (in January, this is 17/1) so it all just requires a bit more forward planning.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure