2»

Comments

• gardner1
    gardner1 Posts: 3,154 Forumite
    edited 11 January 2018 at 1:43PM
    Options
    Dandytf wrote: »
    Mser's wish me luck
    After a 3rdy party accident Jan 2017 when my car was written off.
    I find myself with Jan service and m.o.t tomorrow!
    Not like me at all to begin a new year with car maintenance.
    5dr clio 2014 -30k approx.
    Though I think I might have to mention tomorrow
    Is 35 mpg -reasonable,
    It maybe that I was missing my previous Clio -though I’m almost certain that was constant +40/45 mpg -both 5 dr 1.2 petrol.

Is it exact same model......i know you mention both 5 door and 1.2 engine but there are a few different trim levels
  • Dandytf
    Dandytf Posts: 4,820 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    gardner1 wrote: »
    Is it exact same model......i know you mention both 5 door and 1.2 engine but there are a few different trim levels
    2014 63 plate Clio medianav tech 1.2 5 door petrol 30K miles approx.
    Service done with MOT which. Passed-no notifications-MOT readings are within spec.
    I’m wondering why the drop from purchasing car at dealership almost 1 year ago -50K mpg via led dash
    Since dropped to 30’s mpg.
    1 question -does it matter that I’ve only been filling up half tank at a time.
    Could mpg improve by filling up to full tank-though Renault manual advises against filling up to avoid over spills of fuel
    Replenished CRA Reports.2020 Nissan Leaf 128-149 miles top charge. Savings depleted. VM Stream tv M250 Volted to M350 then M500 since returned to 1gb
  • Dandytf
    Options
    Also, don't forget to check your tyres are properly inflated, and your boot isn't full of unnecessary junk - made a big difference for me with my 09 Fiesta petrol last year - went from 40mpg to 45 mpg on a typical working week.

I didn’t get a chance to check tyres past year -though they are since inflated as part of service.
    I didn’t check during 2016 as I didn’t get any probs with tyres and I need to call breakdown if I do get any probs as I have m.s. -the years of changing my own tyres are since passed.
    Replenished CRA Reports.2020 Nissan Leaf 128-149 miles top charge. Savings depleted. VM Stream tv M250 Volted to M350 then M500 since returned to 1gb
  • gardner1
    Options
    Service done with MOT which. Passed-no notifications-MOT readings are within spec.
    I’m wondering why the drop from purchasing car at dealership almost 1 year ago -50K mpg via led dash
    Could mpg improve by filling up to full tank-though Renault manual advises against filling up to avoid over spills of fuel

How do you know your putting half a tank in.......the only way to get accurate reading is to fill right up same pump same petrol station and run it down then do same again
  • gardner1
    Options
    I didn’t get a chance to check tyres past year -though they are since inflated as part of service.
    I didn’t check during 2016 as I didn’t get any probs with tyres and I need to call breakdown if I do get any probs as I have m.s. -the years of changing my own tyres are since passed.

if tyres only get checked every service they could be down a few pounds
  • gardner1
    Options

And the previous Clio was the exact same spec
  • Dandytf
    Options
    gardner1 wrote: »
    if tyres only get checked every service they could be down a few pounds

I agree from a quick visual check when parked during 2017- I did often think drivers front tyre could have been topped up with air, I keep forgetting to check psi for my clio -I don’t want to over inflate which I have been guilty of in past cars especially when using petrol air pump where you have to be fast to use air on all tyres! Unless there is more 50p’s!
  • Dandytf
    Options
    38 MPG approx since driving home.
    This week for past 3 days from Weds I’ve beeen more careful whilst driving avoiding taking Clio upto 70 as fast as possible, more constant 60’s this week.
    Seems to be making a noticeable difference in fuel efficiency.
    What I’ll do by Jan end is fill up tank and keep driving this 60mph style for a month or longer.
    Didn’t get home any later 30 mins drive approx.
    I’ll then post last update for this thread maybe mid Feb.
  • Iceweasel
    Iceweasel Posts: 4,708 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I agree from a quick visual check when parked during 2017- I did often think drivers front tyre could have been topped up with air, I keep forgetting to check psi for my clio -I don’t want to over inflate which I have been guilty of in past cars especially when using petrol air pump where you have to be fast to use air on all tyres! Unless there is more 50p’s!

Before a tyre looks down on pressure it's likely to be quite far way down - more than just three or four psi.

Tyres that low could be very dangerous if you need to swerve or brake hard.

For safety's sake if nothing else, find out the correct tyre pressures.

I'n not familiar with Clios but it's likely to be on a label on the driver's door post or perhaps on the fuel filler flap.

Go to a Sainsbury's supermarket - where the air is more than likely going to be free, and take your time to get the pressures spot on.

I suggest that you continue with the 'short-shifting' (changing up a gear well before the car reaches peak revs) it will only mean a tad longer in reaching your target speed and will definitely improve your mpg figures.

Good luck.
  • Dandytf
    Options
    Iceweasel wrote: »
    Before a tyre looks down on pressure it's likely to be quite far way down - more than just three or four psi.

Tyres that low could be very dangerous if you need to swerve or brake hard.

For safety's sake if nothing else, find out the correct tyre pressures.

I'n not familiar with Clios but it's likely to be on a label on the driver's door post or perhaps on the fuel filler flap.

Go to a Sainsbury's supermarket - where the air is more than likely going to be free, and take your time to get the pressures spot on.

I suggest that you continue with the 'short-shifting' (changing up a gear well before the car reaches peak revs) it will only mean a tad longer in reaching your target speed and will definitely improve your mpg figures.

Good luck.

Respect mser’s excellent advice.
    I might get psi from handbook-door label isn’t easy for me to reach visually though there is labels on inside of doors.

Short shifting is working well though takes some getting used to though led gear changes via dash are certainly short shifting.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure