Neighbours scaffolding blocking shared lane

Options
My neighbours are having some work done on their house that will mean scaffolding on a shared lane.

The houses are in block of four separated by a shared drive. Two houses to the left and two to the right have access to the drive to get to the back of the houses and garages. His house is immediately to the left of the drive and he's having external insulation put on.

I park my vehicle round the back (off the road) and use it every day but the other two neighbours don't. The neighbour has arranged parking for me round the back of another neighbours house whilst the scaffold is up, c3-4 weeks.

I'm OK with him having the work done, I'm not a NIMBY, all I want is for the scaffold to come down as quickly as possible. The company doing the cladding/insulation have said they will work as quickly as possible but I have my doubts. Is their a formal agreement I can put in place to say they will be on site every day (weather permitting) and be done ASAP and a penalty clause if they go over time?

Comments

• Carrot007
    Carrot007 Posts: 4,534 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    You can ask! I don't see you getting.

Only a failing company with money issues would try to drag out the time to do a job. Investigate them first.

You may also have a difference as to the weather reasonable to do it in.
    It's not really a job for this time of year. Can it not wait?
    For instance weather could cause issues for days when it only looks bad on one, and if they start something else because of this it may not be practical to stop.

I think the best you will get is your neighbour guaranteeing you parking even if it means they have to pay
  • Ganga
    Ganga Posts: 4,158 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Do not upset the apple cart too much,it might be you who needs contractors to block the access in the future.
    ITS NOT EASY TO GET EVERYTHING WRONG ,I HAVE TO WORK HARD TO DO IT!
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Homeowners need to have work done to their houses.
    You have notice and he's made provision for you to park elsewhere.
    It's short term.

Just be lucky you didn't go away 1-2 days and come back to find your van blocked in by scaffolding put up in your absence, you can't get your hire car round the back to park and it's the start of the weekend and the neighbour doesn't care/doesn't see the problem and just points up the road saying "can't you park up there?" before shutting the door in your face.
  • wadge
    wadge Posts: 140 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for your replies. I've got no issues with the work, disruption etc and we get on well with the neighbours. It's just the company doing the work seem a little tardy about what and when they can/will do things. They've said they'll do the work as a priority and pull the scaff down as soon as the work is done, I just want to make sure that they stick to their word.
  • tired_dad
    Options
    Scaffolding companies imho get tardy about removing stuff as free storage is cheaper
  • shortcrust
    shortcrust Posts: 2,697 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary Newshound!
    Options
    tired_dad wrote: »
    Scaffolding companies imho get tardy about removing stuff as free storage is cheaper

Yes, that's my experience. It'll likely get moved when it's needed elsewhere.
  • stator
    stator Posts: 7,441 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Get confirmation in writing from the scaffold company, not the contractors.
    Changing the world, one sarcastic comment at a time.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure