EBay - S.N.A.D. ?

Options
Hallo, would appreciate some advice.

Seller lists an item, stating item location: Glasgow, estimated delivery date: Friday 12th January

Buyer buys the item only to find that the item is actually in China and the estimated delivery date is 29th January!

Buyer tries within minutes to cancel the purchase (item is needed quickly) but seller refuses, saying it's 'been posted'

What would be the best thing to do here? EBay live chat suggested only that buyer tries to claim money back thru paypal.

Comments

• pinkshoes
    pinkshoes Posts: 20,082 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Do the advert said 12th Jan, but one you paid it changed to 29th Jan?

I would phone eBay and point out the discrepancy.
    Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
  • bxboards
    bxboards Posts: 1,711 Forumite
    Options
    If a seller has lied about the location, if you try to Return it, and the seller has lied about the location, Ebay will refund you without requiring a Return to China.

However you cannot claim Not as Described due to the postage timeframe - that is mis-using the protection process as IMHO is just as bad a seller's lying about their location.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    bxboards wrote: »
    If a seller has lied about the location, if you try to Return it, and the seller has lied about the location, Ebay will refund you without requiring a Return to China.

However you cannot claim Not as Described due to the postage timeframe - that is mis-using the protection process as IMHO is just as bad a seller's lying about their location.

Presumably the item (if/when it arrives) will be ok, so not a case of item not as described, more: service not as described.

The advert stated: est.delivery by 12th, but once payment had gone thru it changed to 29th.

The discrepancy was pointed out to EBay via live chat, but they could only suggest pursuing the matter thru PayPal, which doesn't sound right to me.
  • theonlywayisup
    theonlywayisup Posts: 16,031 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    avogadro wrote: »
    Presumably the item (if/when it arrives) will be ok, so not a case of item not as described, more: service not as described.

The advert stated: est.delivery by 12th, but once payment had gone thru it changed to 29th.

The discrepancy was pointed out to EBay via live chat, but they could only suggest pursuing the matter thru PayPal, which doesn't sound right to me.

Are you sure your order changed and not just the date on the listing now.

Go to your purchase history and look at the estimated delivery date on there. That is the one you need to go by.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Are you sure your order changed and not just the date on the listing now.

Go to your purchase history and look at the estimated delivery date on there. That is the one you need to go by.

The point I'm trying to make is that the estimated delivery date is very different in the product listing to the date given once the item was bought.....

Almost like a 'bait and switch' scenario.
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,199 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    avogadro wrote: »
    The point I'm trying to make is that the estimated delivery date is very different in the product listing to the date given once the item was bought.....

Almost like a 'bait and switch' scenario.

That shouldn't be possible. I have seen it but only where the 'fast' delivery estimate was a different service than the one chosen- you get that a lot. However, on the payment page it shows the list of services and EDD and once the postage option is chosen that shouldn't be possible to change at all.

If you believe that ebay have a glitch that allowed a seller to make a change, then phone ebay and insist they allow an INR claim to be opened on the original date that your delivery was estimated.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • ballisticbrian
    Options
    It's either an eBay glitch or user error.
    Warning: any unnecessary disclaimers appearing under my posts do not bear any connection with reality, either intended, accidental or otherwise. Your statutory rights are not affected.
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,199 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    It's either an eBay glitch or user error.

It did strike me that if a seller could change the EDD after purchase the seller boards would have been full of it- how to avoid 'late defects' in one easy go!
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure