Ebay printed postage label-Do they have to be scanned at PO counter?

If I print off a ebay postage label. Does it have to scanned at the PO counter? Or can I drop it into the sack at the PO and it will get scanned enroute.
Sometimes, my PO has massive queues. I am looking at a way to streamline time drop off!

Comments

• soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,193 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Nesty wrote: »
    If I print off a ebay postage label. Does it have to scanned at the PO counter? Or can I drop it into the sack at the PO and it will get scanned enroute.
    Sometimes, my PO has massive queues. I am looking at a way to streamline time drop off!

If you want proof of postage then you need to get packages scanned and a receipt given at a post office counter. However if you are happy to do without POPs then items can be dropped into any box.

POPS are needed should you ever need to claim loss or damage from RM or if a buyer does an 'unauthorised use of card' claim through PayPal.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Nesty
    Nesty Posts: 492 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Ah ok. Many thanks Soolin.
    I have re-started into my ebay stuff for 2018. It's proving very popular, so requirement to speed up some postage drop of is required!
  • batg
    batg Posts: 295 Forumite
    when I send registered or is it recorded....I print it from ebay then just out it in a regular post box.
    once it hits the system the tracking updates online
  • theonlywayisup
    theonlywayisup Posts: 16,031 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    batg wrote: »
    when I send registered or is it recorded....I print it from ebay then just out it in a regular post box.

It's Signed For (signature on delivery).

If you drop it in a box you don't have proof of posting. Your proof of posting can defend a chargeback should one arise.
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,193 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    batg wrote: »

Which is absolutely fine as long as item isn't lost or fails to show as delivered. Also, as above, if paypal get pendantic, proof of delivery is not the same as proof of postage for a claim of unauthorised use of a card.

However, as long as sellers know the risks and rules it's fine. Before my sales started taking off, I often put small cheap items straight in the box rather than go all the way to the PO for one item. I only get maybe 2 'unauthorised claims' on average a year anyway so I would have to be unlucky if it hit one of the ones without a POP. I don't do it anymore though as I can't drop my discounted post off unless it is bagged and tagged properly.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • lstar337
    lstar337 Posts: 3,441 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    My post office can't even scan them. They moan every time because it isn't an old fashioned barcode. :rotfl:

They handle it different all the time too. Sometimes they just type some stuff in and print off the pop, sometimes they feel the need to stick on an additional barcode of their own and scan it.

Everything seems to get to its destination though, so I just let them moan and faff about as much as they like. No skin off my nose!
  • My post office can't even scan them. They moan every time because it isn't an old fashioned barcode.

They can't scan the non-signed for ones.

For that hand them one of these with your parcels:

https://www.royalmail.com/.../Bulk_Certificate_Posting_Standard.pdf

(opens pdf file)

I don't use Signed for printed from eBay but I assume those have the signed for barcode on them.
    Warning: any unnecessary disclaimers appearing under my posts do not bear any connection with reality, either intended, accidental or otherwise. Your statutory rights are not affected.
  • lstar337
    They can't scan the non-signed for ones.
    So what is the point of the barcode then?
  • bxboards
    bxboards Posts: 1,711 Forumite
    lstar337 wrote: »
    My post office can't even scan them. They moan every time because it isn't an old fashioned barcode. :rotfl:

They handle it different all the time too. Sometimes they just type some stuff in and print off the pop, sometimes they feel the need to stick on an additional barcode of their own and scan it.

Everything seems to get to its destination though, so I just let them moan and faff about as much as they like. No skin off my nose!

My local (rural) post office always seems to have trouble with any sort of pre-paid RM barcode. Often they do not scan, so they key them, and other times stick on another large barcode from a roll.

The issue seems to be with the post office, as they seem to scan fine once en route.

I suspect they press the wrong button so the system won't let it be scanned...
  • lstar337
    bxboards wrote: »
    My local (rural) post office always seems to have trouble with any sort of pre-paid RM barcode. Often they do not scan, so they key them, and other times stick on another large barcode from a roll.

The issue seems to be with the post office, as they seem to scan fine once en route.

I suspect they press the wrong button so the system won't let it be scanned...
    Exact same, rural post office. What you said sounds exactly the same as my experience, to the letter! Maybe we use the same PO, you never know! :rotfl:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure