Amazon refusing a refund over 'no signature'

Options
skayes
skayes Posts: 25 Forumite
First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
edited 9 January 2018 at 11:37PM in Consumer rights
Hi,
I need some help with a refund at Amazon UK. I bought an expensive book (£120) a couple of months ago and it arrived damaged from poor packaging. To cut the story short, I sent it back after informing Amazon of the issue. Since it was a marketplace item and from an overseas seller they never sent a returns label and I had to send it back using Royal Mail's International Signed and Tracked service, which cost me more than £20. After waiting some time, during which I never heard from the seller nor received a refund, I decided not to say anything to them and went straight to Amazon to file an A-Z claim.

They asked me for proof of signed delivery. I used the tracking number to get to Royal Mail's confirmation of delivery page, and sent them a copy (and also sent a copy of the certificate of posting), but since that page shows no signature, Amazon have denied the refund.

I'm very angry, because I did everything to the letter and just because they see no signature I'm £140 out of pocket through no fault of my own. Any suggestions on what I should do, if anyone has had a similar problem?

Comments

• pramsay13
    pramsay13 Posts: 1,951 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Why is there no signature?
    Ask Royal Mail for the signature proof.
  • skayes
    Options
    Thanks for your reply. As it happens, I've just started looking into this after posting my question. It turns out that RM never show a signature for an International Signed/Tracked service item because after leaving the UK the item is handed over to local postal services at the destination country. That suggests that a signature may exist but it's not recorded by RM. So I'm wondering now whether to see if RM can get me a copy of the signature, or if I can find the local postal service and ask them directly. Also, I have to get this done in good time (thankfully I have until April to appeal the decision).

Has anyone else been in this situation? I would appreciate any insights.
  • dj1471
    dj1471 Posts: 1,968 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    Have you tried tracking the item with the postal service that delivered it? That may yield the full proof of delivery.
  • skayes
    Options
    Yes I have just done that - thanks for the suggestion. The delivery confirmation is there but still no signature. There is however a complaints (not contact! :)) page with a form for 'post acknowledgement not received'. So I've filled in the form and requested a copy of the signature. Hopefully this will get me what I need. I'll post an update here when I hear back.
  • skayes
    Options
    Hi again,

Well, here's the first update: RM's FAQ on 'who signed for my item' mentions that:

"International Signed For® items are signed for on delivery abroad, but we are unable to confirm the delivery or the identity of the person who signed for the item."

For another international sign-for service (business), page mentions:

"Your item is tracked until it leaves the UK and only handed over at its final destination once we have a signature from the recipient. "

But the small print (footnote at bottom of the long page) says:

"However, we do not provide a copy of the signature as part of the service."

Now that feels like a gyp, because I paid for a tracked and signed service. So this means, never use International Signed-For if you want a signature confirmation, whether it's personal or for business.

I'm still hoping that the local post office at the destination country will help. Let's see.
  • theonlywayisup
    theonlywayisup Posts: 16,031 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    If your A-Z appeal has failed then contact your card company and see if they will assist.
  • TrickyDicky101
    Options
    If your A-Z appeal has failed then contact your card company and see if they will assist.

Help with what? I can't see the card company being interested.
  • victor2
    victor2 Posts: 7,600 Ambassador
    I'm a Volunteer Ambassador First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Help with what? I can't see the card company being interested.
    https://www.moneysupermarket.com/credit-cards/guide-to-credit-card-protection/

I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the In My Home MoneySaving, Energy and Techie Stuff boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. 

All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

• TrickyDicky101
    TrickyDicky101 Posts: 3,513 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 10 January 2018 at 6:54PM
    Options
    victor2 wrote: »

In my opinion that is unlikely to help. A chargeback will ultimately result in OP being pursued for unpaid debt. S75 does not apply as far as I can see.
  • RichardD1970
    RichardD1970 Posts: 3,795 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    skayes wrote: »
    Hi,
    I need some help with a refund at Amazon UK. I bought an expensive book (£120) a couple of months ago and it arrived damaged from poor packaging. To cut the story short, I sent it back after informing Amazon of the issue. Since it was a marketplace item and from an overseas seller they never sent a returns label and I had to send it back using Royal Mail's International Signed and Tracked service, which cost me more than £20. After waiting some time, during which I never heard from the seller nor received a refund, I decided not to say anything to them and went straight to Amazon to file an A-Z claim.

They asked me for proof of signed delivery. I used the tracking number to get to Royal Mail's confirmation of delivery page, and sent them a copy (and also sent a copy of the certificate of posting), but since that page shows no signature, Amazon have denied the refund.

I'm very angry, because I did everything to the letter and just because they see no signature I'm £140 out of pocket through no fault of my own. Any suggestions on what I should do, if anyone has had a similar problem?

Have you subsequently contacted the seller?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure