carers allowance and working

My wife get carers allowance and also has a small job £112 per week. All is good until she works a bank holiday, which is her normal day of working. She gets time and a half if there is only one per month it will put her up to about £120 per week, will this be allowed or will she have to take leave on bank holidays.

Comments

• Ames
    Ames Posts: 18,459 Forumite
    john240870 wrote: »
    My wife get carers allowance and also has a small job £112 per week. All is good until she works a bank holiday, which is her normal day of working. She gets time and a half if there is only one per month it will put her up to about £120 per week, will this be allowed or will she have to take leave on bank holidays.

Have you double checked how much she can earn on CA? I think it's around £120 perfect so she could be ok. It's also after deductions such as pension contributions and paying someone to look after the disabled person while she's at work.
    Unless I say otherwise 'you' means the general you not you specifically.
  • john240870
    john240870 Posts: 145 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Ames wrote: »
    Have you double checked how much she can earn on CA? I think it's around £120 perfect so she could be ok. It's also after deductions such as pension contributions and paying someone to look after the disabled person while she's at work.
    Its £116 per week so she is over that week by about £4 wondering if this will be ok
  • Alice_Holt
    Alice_Holt Posts: 5,946 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    john240870 wrote: »
    Its £116 per week so she is over that week by about £4 wondering if this will be ok

If she is over the £116 threshold then her CA cannot be paid for that week.
    She should notify the DWP, otherwise she will have an overpayment.

https://www.ageuk.org.uk/globalassets/age-uk/documents/factsheets/fs55_carers_allowance_fcs.pdf

"If you work, you cannot get CA if you earn more than £116 net a week
    (after deducting allowable expenses, such as tax, National Insurance
    contributions and some pension contributions). You can do voluntary
    work, as long as you provide care for 35 hours. If you pay someone to
    look after the disabled person you care for while you are working, up to
    half of your net earnings may be ignored. Other income (such as an
    occupational pension) and savings do not affect your entitlement. "
    Alice Holt Forest situated some 4 miles south of Farnham forms the most northerly gateway to the South Downs National Park.
  • bigbill
    bigbill Posts: 928 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    She could earn £1,000 for up to 4 weeks and still get Carers Allowance while on a break from caring, this is allowed after 22 weeks as a carer so 2x each year.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure