Where to get rid of old computer

Comments

• googler
    googler Posts: 16,103 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Ignore all the advice about destroying the hard drive, and just take it out of the machine and keep it.

There's no need to destroy a perfectly functional drive. It's wasteful, if nothing else.
  • Intel you what you can hang onto old bikes as well for the hope they will fit another bike eventually. There is no point in hoarding bits a pieces unless you run a sum kind of scrap shop. Just get shot of the computer the likelihood of Mr average ever using a hard drive from a old broken computer is pretty slim. Just dispose of it correctly as Leeuk has pointed put how easy it is to pull off info from an incorrectly disposed of hard drive.
  • Stoke
    Stoke Posts: 3,182 Forumite
    Dban.

Bye bye personal data.
  • Stoke
    I bought a second hand hard drive from CeX just before Christmas, ran Recuva, and within minutes I had restored all the data from the drive. Luckily it was just someone's music collection and no sensitive personal info or documents.

If you really must sell on or give away a hard drive, make sure you properly format it with DBAN or similar. The quick format option in Windows will simply not do.

Why were you doing that? I mean, we both know how to do it and how easy it is, but why would you want to do that? What made you think to recover someone's files? It's shady, at best.
  • Lincoln_Imp
    Lincoln_Imp Posts: 2,518 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Our local council run skip takes them ,Just take HD out first
    Have a nice day :)
  • Stoke wrote: »
    Why were you doing that? I mean, we both know how to do it and how easy it is, but why would you want to do that? What made you think to recover someone's files? It's shady, at best.

1. I wanted to know the history of the drive before I put it into production.
    2. I'm a shady person.

Don't worry, I deleted the music collection afterwards as it wasn't to my tastes. :)
  • Stoke
    1. I wanted to know the history of the drive before I put it into production.
    2. I'm a shady person.

Don't worry, I deleted the music collection afterwards as it wasn't to my tastes. :)

That's a pretty weak excuse. But anyway.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,175 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    edited 9 January 2018 at 11:21PM
    Stoke wrote: »
    That's a pretty weak excuse. But anyway.

I wanted to know if the previous owner had a penchant for the darker side of life before the police seize my PC.

Even if it did have someone's credit card details on, I'm not a criminal and wouldn't have been dipping myself into the world of ID fraud.

Drive is zero wiped now and is in production in one of my file servers.
  • Based on some of the replies on this thread about the destructions of hard drives I imagine lots pf people with incinerators in their gardens, shredding, burning all their mail and correspondance and splitting the ashes into seprate piles to disposed of in all corners of the world...for securety reasons of course...
  • It could be refurbished by a reputable company and sold on once they've removed all your data and repaired any faults.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure