Getting around Paris by RER/Metro for a complete novice

My knowledge and experience of our closest international neighbours is limited to eating French fries and the limit of my vocabulary is Northern English.

I've managed to get hold of 2 tickets to France vs England in March 2018 for myself and the 14 yo kitten. Flights - booked. Hotel - booked & we're staying in the middle of Paris.

Our flight arrives into CDG about 10.00 on Sat and we leave about 20.30 on Sunday

What is the most cost effective, efficient and hassle free ticket/pass for us to buy, which will get us access to the Metro/RER lines.
In short, we need to get in/out to CDG, in/out to Stade De France and moving around the Metro system both days, being tourists.

Comments

• Backbiter
    Backbiter Posts: 1,393 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Buying a carnet of 10 tickets always used to be the cheapest way to use the Paris metro. Haven't been there for nearly a decade so I can't give more up to date advice.

For getting to the stadium you have a couple of choices. Either the RER or the metro, but I seem to remember the metro being cheaper but slower. Both drop you a short walk from the stadium, and both have horrendous queues after the game.

The RER is the best way to and from CdG, but it's not that cheap.
  • Voyager2002
    Voyager2002 Posts: 15,281 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    RER is the most practical way to get from/to the airport. You cannot use Metro tickets on it, so getting a carnet might not make sense for you (Metro tickets are also valid on public buses; some journeys require two tickets).

The central area of Paris is small and very pleasant for walking, so you might not use transport that much. Have a look on Google maps and set it to tell you walking times... depending on what you want to do apart from going to the match you might only need two return journeys on the RER, for which pay-as-you-go would be simplest.
  • My memory of an overnighter in Paris as two adults and a child was that PAYG was the cheapest way to get around.

I still giggle about the bloke who was refused boarding because he was connecting on to Moscow and didn't have a visa.
  • martindow
    martindow Posts: 10,217 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Here is RATP's English version of its site

https://www.ratp.fr/en/visite-paris/english/visiting-paris-and-its-surrounding-areas

There are some useful links there for journey planning and tickets.
  • OP be very very very careful on the metro that you are not a victim of pickpockets. Romanian women using their children took my wallet (it had 10 euro in it).
  • PompeyPete
    PompeyPete Posts: 7,126 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    OP be very very very careful on the metro that you are not a victim of pickpockets. Romanian women using their children took my wallet (it had 10 euro in it).

If you witness it happening, yell "Voleur, voleur" [Thief, thief] point at the scum and make a verbal fuss. That's what my Mrs did on the RER just after La Defence, unfortunately the train door had just opened and the Roma scarpered.
  • OP - I used the photo guide here: https://parisbytrain.com/paris-airport-terminal-2-train-photo-tour/ when I flew in to CDG for the first time.

The ticket machines have an English option (although I seem to remember that it wasn't obvious how to access it at first).
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Keep any valuables eg phone, wallet in an inside pocket eg a jacket, if you 14 yo will be taking a rucksack (for the short time you are there maybe this is unnecessary) with bits in then when its crowded eg on the metro she has the rucksack on her front.
  • PompeyPete
    PompeyPete Posts: 7,126 Forumite
    Watch where you walk too. Poop scoops haven't reached Paris yet.

If you eat in a restaurant don't bother practicing your French, and never call a waiter 'Garcon'.....unless you want French onion soup over your lap.:)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure