Can HMRC check your Visa credit card transactions?

Options
gray1404
gray1404 Posts: 88 Forumite
edited 9 December 2017 at 12:22AM in Benefits & tax credits
I just want to ask a simple question. Can the HMRC see your visa credit card transactions? I saw something on another area of the forum where someone implied HMRC could though their Connect system.

However having done some digging it would appear they are able to see a businesses transactions that they receive (not the customer information).It really would be a step too far - an invasion of privacy if they could snoop into what and where I was spending on my credit card too.

Comments

• Darksparkle
    Darksparkle Posts: 5,465 Forumite
    Options
    Well if your claiming benefits and the benefit has qualifying conditions that you must be in the UK or at least not be out of the UK for longer than a set time then of course they have a right to know.

However as you say, the powers that give them access to the credit card transactions apply to businesses.

Personally if i claim a benefit I accept that they can do checks and request reasonable information to satisfy that my claim is correct.
  • FBaby
    FBaby Posts: 18,367 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I know HMRC/DWP may think they have a right to know who is out of the country but it really would be a step too far - an invasion of privacy if they could snoop into what and where I was spending on my credit card too.
    Yes, on one hand, on the other, when you have people who claim HB, then sublet cashing in large sums of money, leaving the place in poor state of repairs, whilst they are enjoying some fun time abroad, then it is a blessing for society that they can indeed check credit card spend.
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,508 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    If they have reason to suspect that fraud may be being committed then they can look into all financial activity. That obviously included checking bank statements, credit card activity etc.
    HMRC/DWP do not check credit card activity on a random basis. They will do it because they have a reason.
  • tomtom256
    tomtom256 Posts: 2,219 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    gray1404 wrote: »
    I just want to ask a simple question. Can the DWP/HMRC see your visa credit card transactions? I saw something on another area of the forum where someone implied HMRC could though their Connect system.

However having done some digging it would appear they are able to see a businesses transactions that they receive (not the customer information). I know HMRC/DWP may think they have a right to know who is out of the country but it really would be a step too far - an invasion of privacy if they could snoop into what and where I was spending on my credit card too.

If you are doing nothing wrong within the transactions you will have nothing to worry about, however if you are in breach of any of the conditions to claim, then it's just a matter of time.
  • epitome
    epitome Posts: 3,199 Forumite
    Options
    Maybe -and I think they should be able to even if they can't now- they can gauge how long you have been outside UK by your passport scan at the port.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure