Maybe Linux!

Comments

• David_Aston
    David_Aston Posts: 1,160 Forumite
    First Post
    Thank you debitcard
    In fact I have just downloaded Mint, into the computer downloads folder, from thence to a flash drive, at which point it did tell me to burn it onto a DVD. As you can see, I have given myself a right run around. Just a question now, of daring to run the DVD and see what occurs!
  • Norman_Castle
    Norman_Castle Posts: 11,871 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    You can probably sample it from the disc without installing via the boot menu on start up. I installed linux mint on a 10 year old pc as xp is not supported. It generally works fine but there are problems which seem common, no sound, printer problems, wireless problems etc. Biggest problem I found with Linux is getting help online. Everyone who offers help expects you to "open a terminal" and type code. Great if you enjoy that but its not for me. I found problems easier to resolve using windows. Windows tends to be more functionally complete which is to be expected as a paid for product.

Dual boot install is easy but is difficult to remove if you change your mind.
  • ? How did you burn it to DVD ? If you just copied it it will do nothing.Also have you a spare usb thumb drive it is easier in the long run?
    🍺 😎 Still grumpy, and No, Cloudflare I am NOT a robot 🤖BUT my responses are now out of my control they are posted via ChatGPT or the latest AI
  • David_Aston
    First Post
    Thanks both.
    I found the most current version on the Mint site, 18.3 as it happens. Downloaded it. Transferred the download to a flash drive. Attempted to open it, whereupon it told me to burn it. Have just clicked on the burned DVD which shows 9 folders, something called Jasper seems to contain the bulk of the 1.8 gig download. Yes, I am flailing around I admit.
    Thanks for your dual boot comments Norman.
  • Norman_Castle
    Norman_Castle Posts: 11,871 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Assuming your disc is bootable https://lifehacker.com/5991848/how-to-boot-from-a-cd-or-usb-drive-on-any-pc
    Remember to put the disc in the drive before shutting down.
  • Stoke
    Stoke Posts: 3,182 Forumite
    Until you give it a go, you'll never know. People forget what a pain in the !!!! Windows 98 was to use, perhaps if you've used it lately, Linux won't be so bad for you. Where people struggle is when they have to start messing around with configuration files etc.

Pro-tip. Learn how to use vi :) It's a Linux users best friend. It can get you out almost any nasty situation. If you're not sure, Google it.
  • From your previous thread you made it sound as if you had solved the issue by installing Windows 7 from a DVD from a member of your family. Seems without a licence(looking for my rolling eyes emoticon)

Anyway, in order to make things right, you will have to create a bootable USB Flash drive. :)

Do you have one sitting around? Small capacity is fine.

Good. So remove all your data from it as we are going to wipe it clean.

Choose to download and save Rufus to your PC.

Then plug in your USB Flash drive, wait until it is recognised and then double click on the Rufus application in order to open it.

You'll see something like this;

rufus-screenshot-02.png

Leave the ones that state Default on your interface as they are. But use the dropdown lists to select MBR and FreeDOS etc
    Then click Start.

It will create a bootable USB flash drive to which you can double click to open and add files if necessary.

Once complete, choose to download and save;

DELL Inspiron 530 for Windows 7.zip firmware that I have provided for you.

Once saved, unzip the package to reveal the folder within. Open the folder, copy the three files within and paste them to the root of your newly bootable USB Flash drive.

Now you are ready to flash your BIOS/update the firmware.

Restart or turn off the PC. On restart or switching back on, keep your finger on the F12 key. It should open the BOOT menu, allowing your to choose the newly created USB Flash drive as the primary boot drive.
    Do so and confirm if necessary. Once it boots from the USB Flash drive, you should see a flashing cursor. At this point, type; DOSFLASH , hit the Enter key and wait. :)

Good luck. ;)
  • esuhl
    esuhl Posts: 9,409 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Stoke wrote: »
    Debian Running Gnome

The best linux experience on the planet. No exceptions.

No chance! You want to give Arch Linux a go! ;)
  • were
    were Posts: 632 Forumite
    it is not a huge step from windows to mint.

When yo have finished installation, and if you want to customise it a little, go to Youtube and type top mint linux and you will get loads of vids. Just install the items you want

Mint is not the no 1 distro on distrowatch for nothing :)
  • David_Aston
    First Post
    Thanks all, for your further comments.
    Always - Very comprehensive post which I had better write down before attempting to crack on. Also, I would happily give you the rolling eyes emoticon, which I deserve, if I knew where it was.
    I think that I will give this a real go, perhaps because with this machine my choices remain an unsupported Vista, a rather nice looking but un-activatible 7, or Linux.
    Truthfully I would happily pay Bill and Melinda a reasonable sum to get 7 going legally, but that doesn't seem to be possible.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure