Insurance Cancelled due to Error

Hi All,

My husband arrangeed his insurance on line but unbeknown to him he had logged in inadvertantly using my details and bought a policy for his car under my name and became the named driver. Dont ask how he did this.....We sent of proof of no claims when request and then we had a short break away. We have come home to find the policy cancelled. We have spoken to the AA several times today to resolve, the policy has been cancelled and we have taken the charges on the chin, however the problem now lies in trying to get new insurance due to the 'cancellation' tag which he has to declare. The person from the AA simply suggested going with whoever but Direct Line wont insure. The AA are waiting on their underwriters to come back. Its making us seem as criminals when it was a simply error. How one earth do we get out of this endless loop? The lady at the AA even admitted that it happens a lot..... help please!

Comments

• Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    A cancelled policy is always bad news - it remains on your record for evermore and must normally be disclosed for evermore (though currently DL only ask if you had policy cancelled in last 5 years)

Try a local broker (not Swinton) to see if they can help with a sympathetic insurer

When unhappy with an insurer then your route is a formal complaint.

You have nothing to lose by trying one to get this overturned - if you are unhappy with the reply you can escalate to the fos for their adjudication
  • Have you had no correspondence from the insurer regarding the error? No email, letter, phone call?

If it happens a lot (which may be the case) I can't see why they wouldn't try to contact. I'd be making a formal complaint, though that doesn't help you right now.
  • Duchess_Me wrote: »
    Hi All,

My husband arrangeed his insurance on line but unbeknown to him he had logged in inadvertantly using my details and bought a policy for his car under my name and became the named driver. Dont ask how he did this.....We sent of proof of no claims when request and then we had a short break away. We have come home to find the policy cancelled. We have spoken to the AA several times today to resolve, the policy has been cancelled and we have taken the charges on the chin, however the problem now lies in trying to get new insurance due to the 'cancellation' tag which he has to declare. The person from the AA simply suggested going with whoever but Direct Line wont insure. The AA are waiting on their underwriters to come back. Its making us seem as criminals when it was a simply error. How one earth do we get out of this endless loop? The lady at the AA even admitted that it happens a lot..... help please!

I'm sorry but I just don't understand how this can happen other than deliberately. You can't just blindly "log in" and use someone else's details "by mistake".
  • takman
    takman Posts: 3,876 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I'm sorry but I just don't understand how this can happen other than deliberately. You can't just blindly "log in" and use someone else's details "by mistake".

That's what i was thinking, every time i have bought insurance online i have always been asked to confirm all the details are correct before submitting it. You also get an email almost instantly with the insurance certificate and just reading this alone would have flagged up the error.
    Duchess_Me wrote: »
    Its making us seem as criminals when it was a simply error. How one earth do we get out of this endless loop? The lady at the AA even admitted that it happens a lot..... help please!

It may have been an error but he was very careless to not bother reading any of the information on the screen and any information on the insurance email to confirm it is all correct. Your lucky because he may have accidentally not taken out any insurance and would have been driving uninsured considering he didn't bother to check anything.
  • Surely, if he took out a policy in your name, it's not him who's had a policy cancelled, but you?
    No longer a spouse, or trailing, but MSE won't allow me to change my username...
  • Thanks for your replies, i had thought that I was succicnt in my reply. Yes it is easy to have done it in error. No he didnt realise at the time. We were away on holiday when the letter came thru followed by a phone call from the AA. How wonderful you guys are never to make a mistake. I was requestng assistance as to whether the cancellation tag was permanent, not a judgement on a genuine accident. We both have vehicles and zero reason to try and defraud or in somehow not hold the correct insurance.

Thank you Quentin for your helpful post. As I was talking to the lady from the AA she also admitted that they see this same issue a lot. Same from the person that spoke to my husband as well when trying to rectify the error. Their very casual approach to this has prompted me to check as due to an oversight we are now going to be penalised for ever and a day so it seems. I will write to the ombudsman.
  • Amst
    Amst Posts: 141 Forumite
    It's quite disturbing how people seem to jump to the outcome of making a complaint. This wastes time for the insurer, especially when it appears the applicant made a genuine error - so what is to complain about!

The AA can't doubly insure a car so what choice did they have but to cancel? How is that their fault?
  • Quentin
    The op faces a lifetime of issues over what she sees as an unfair decision.

A complaint is the (only) way forward
  • Quentin
    Duchess_Me wrote: »
    ........I will write to the ombudsman.

Before escalating to the FOS you must first follow the insurer's complaints procedure.

Once you have their reply (or they ignore you for 8 weeks) and you are unhappy about the reply you can then escalate to the FOS
  • Jesus - do any of you read the mail?

Its not about the fact that it was cancelled. I have said that, and it was never in any doubt that we made the error. Its the fact that there is now a cancellation tag that will be on file for ever and a day that I take issue with...that we will always have to explain a one time error.

Before you berate me - please read what I have said. I will escalate this, I have already complained to the AA and I will now follow their process, however given their remarks, I will need to go to the Ombudsman as they are just shrugging this off. Also the given the fact that they 'have this all the time'. Their words not mine. Makes me feel taht this is an unjust tag to penalise for ever and a day. d

One person on this forum gave an unbiased reply. That was all I asked for. Do the rest of you just sit on here to troll forums?

Actually dont bother replying..... I dont want or need your 'advise' or opinions, and I hope your on line experience is always wonderful, that you never make a mistake, the computer never says 'no' nor fall prey to any scams.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure