Hastings want to cancel wife's insurance

Options
2»

Comments

• dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,370 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have read the ombudsman page on non-disclosure. I did so before posting the thread. This section particularly reads to me as the Ombudsman would take the view that Hastings should simply charge the increased premium, and that cancelling the policy seems disproportionate.

Only if they would accept the cover. Where they would not, due to underwriting reasons, they are allowed to reject the cover. Two claims in quick succession and multiple non-disclosure events are often rejected.
    I don't understand this. Does what sound credible?

It was where you were trying to position the blame with the insurer by suggesting your wife phoned and told them. The call would be pretty memorable for something that should have happened less than 12 months ago as they would have put the premium up for starters.

I'm not accusing your wife of telling lies. However, she could be. That is the problem with the situation. She is now in a pot of people who failed to tell the insurer some significant details. That pot of people will contain those that made genuine errors and those that did it on purpose hoping to get away with it. Those that lied on purpose will claim it was accidental. The insurer has very little way of knowing, in this case, whether it was accidental or on purpose.

Even where it is accidental, it shows carelessness and insurance is priced in good faith that the information is supplied correctly. Someone who doesnt do that, regardless of reason, is higher risk. A lot of insurers will not quote to people who have non-disclosure history.

Hence, taking their offer to remove you and then changing at renewal (or cancelling down the road after removing you) is the best option. It means no requirement to declare non-disclosure for the rest of your lives.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Integr8
    Integr8 Posts: 13 Forumite
    Options
    dunstonh wrote: »
    It was where you were trying to position the blame with the insurer by suggesting your wife phoned and told them. The call would be pretty memorable for something that should have happened less than 12 months ago as they would have put the premium up for starters.

OK I see. The glass claim was 2 years ago and the theft 18 months ago. We don't think she did phone them at the times of the incidents specifically, but she was sure she had informed them at the time of the last renewal (12 months ago).

Having checked the past documentation though it does look like she simply forgot. My suspicions though had been aroused when on the renewal they had asked if she still wanted business use for me, when that had been cancelled over a year prior.
  • Integr8
    Integr8 Posts: 13 Forumite
    Options
    OK, so we phoned up Hastings today.

Despite them having said on Saturday that we could remove me from named drivers and continue the policy, they have given us back word. We were told today that the underwriters have now said they will not insure my wife at all based on the non-disclosure!

To top that they said that since she has had insurance declined she will now have to declare this regardless. :mad: I was prepared to accept ok she made a mistake and it's a pain removing me but at least they were giving us chance to rectify the situation. But this stinks.

All because of her making one mistake and simply forgetting to tell them about something she didn't personally have a record of because she didn't have to deal with it, and forgot to ask me about.

We have cancelled the policy and insured her car with Admiral, with me as named driver, all details, declaring insurance declined. Premium up £200 with one check box. :(

Final irony, with full history declared and the insurance declined/cancelled box checked, Hasting and 2 other brands underwritted by Advantage were still the top 4 on price! We though it better to go with a different underwriter, lest we be accused of trying to gain insurance with the same underwriters by the back door, or some such nonsense.

Thanks for all advice, not that it did us any good. Moral of the story, don't ever make a single mistake!

And it might not do me any good, but I will be writing to the ombudsman because this !!!!!! is not on.
  • rs65
    rs65 Posts: 5,682 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Integr8 wrote: »
    All because of her making one mistake and simply forgetting to tell them about something she didn't personally have a record of because she didn't have to deal with it, and forgot to ask me about.
    When you write to the ombudsman, stick to the facts. Keep it brief and tell them the outcome you want.

Earlier you said that the burglary was so recent and such a traumatic event that she wouldn't have forgotten about it - and it was Hastings mistake. Sounds now that you accept it was her mistake.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,370 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Final irony, with full history declared and the insurance declined/cancelled box checked, Hasting and 2 other brands underwritted by Advantage were still the top 4 on price!

That is something you should raise in your complaint. If they rejected it for new business with full disclosure, then their position is sound. If they accept it for new business then they are on thin ice.
    but I will be writing to the ombudsman because this !!!!!! is not on.

You dont get access to the FOS until you have complained to the firm and got a response from them.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    edited 5 December 2017 at 9:37PM
    Options

Your wife as policy holder will have agreed to disclose all relevant information about any named drivers.

This is no "defence"
  • takman
    takman Posts: 3,876 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    OK I see. The glass claim was 2 years ago and the theft 18 months ago. We don't think she did phone them at the times of the incidents specifically, but she was sure she had informed them at the time of the last renewal (12 months ago).

Having checked the past documentation though it does look like she simply forgot. My suspicions though had been aroused when on the renewal they had asked if she still wanted business use for me, when that had been cancelled over a year prior.

But it's not just one mistake; she forgot to inform them last year, then she didn't check the insurance documents to make sure they were correct. So you have got away with a cheaper policy last year due to not declaring it!. Then she didn't check her renewal this year, so there was a number of mistakes made. So she is lucky they simply cancelled the policy and didn't consider it fraudulent considering the previous years policy.
  • takman
    takman Posts: 3,876 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    dunstonh wrote: »
    That is something you should raise in your complaint. If they rejected it for new business with full disclosure, then their position is sound. If they accept it for new business then they are on thin ice.

Are they not allowed to take into account that the customer has likely gotten last years policy much cheaper due to their negligence and they have failed to spot the errors and inform them several times over an extended period?.

I would say this is a valid reason to not want to do business with them.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure