Bernie

Options
Hi everyone I desperately need some help. My husband sadly passed away 2years ago with Cancer. He worked for forty two years always paying his national insurance and stamp . For the last Twenty years of his life he was a Self employed Taxi driver who Religiously paid his Tax and Stamp . Received his retirement pension when he was 65 and collected it for two years until he passed away. For the first year of my Bereavement I received Bereavement allowance , this finished in 2016. Why am I not entitled to a Widows pension and where did his Contributions go ? I still have a mortgage to pay as well as all other utility bills, I work 31 hours a week but classed as disabled after a failed foot operation and now have to permanently use a walking stick. I struggle with everyday walking which I do a lot of because I work in a school as a TA . I can only heat one room as I have no central heating and live in a 1900 terraced house. Sorry for droning on but I cannot get any help from anywhere even work who put me on half pay because I was off work longer than expected after my operation.Back on full pay now but still struggling.

Comments

• IAmWales
    IAmWales Posts: 2,024 Forumite
    Options
    Bereavement Allowance is what used to be the Widow's Pension, and is only payable for 52 weeks. Did he have a private pension plan?

You need to look at what you are entitled to in your own right. How old are you and what income do you have? Have you looked at a benefits calculator to see what you might be entitled to?
  • xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,412 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    When do you become eligible for state pension?
  • Alice_Holt
    Alice_Holt Posts: 5,949 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Working Tax Credits?
    https://www.gov.uk/working-tax-credit

Council Tax Single person 25% discount?

I would suggest going to your local CAB / advice agency for a benefits check.
    Alice Holt Forest situated some 4 miles south of Farnham forms the most northerly gateway to the South Downs National Park.
  • Darksparkle
    Darksparkle Posts: 5,465 Forumite
    Options
    Are you in receipt of benefits for your disability? DLA or PIP?
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,734 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Have you considered downsizing to something easier to keep warm?
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,479 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    elsien wrote: »
    Have you considered downsizing to something easier to keep warm?

The OP is already in a 1900's terraced house with no central heating. What do you think it would be possible to downsize to from that? In any area of the country a property like that is likely to be at the lower end of the scale on financial value. That is said with no disrespect to the OP.
  • IAmWales
    IAmWales Posts: 2,024 Forumite
    Options
    TELLIT01 wrote: »
    The OP is already in a 1900's terraced house with no central heating. What do you think it would be possible to downsize to from that? In any area of the country a property like that is likely to be at the lower end of the scale on financial value. That is said with no disrespect to the OP.

My grandparents terrace had four bedrooms and three reception rooms, with high ceilings that make it even harder to keep warm. A newer house or a flat would be far more cost effective.

(Not suggesting that the OP has four bedrooms, but I wouldn't assume a terrace to be small or cheap.)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure