PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

FTB - HomeBuyer Report thrown up major concerns

Options
Hi all,

I am a FTB and have had an offer accepted on a 3 bed 1930s mid terrace for £167.5k. We have recently had the homebuyers report back and it has thrown up huge concerns which has scared me off slightly. Not only has the surveyor valued the house at 140k (16% less than the asking price) it has also raised concerns about the roof, damp and much more.

Luckily this was an independent survey and so our lender valuation hasn't been affected. The figure the lender came up with was the full purchase price so I am slightly confused as to how they have come up with a 27.5k difference?!! :eek:

To name a few the survey has mentioned the following:
• Soil water vent pipe damaged
• Chipped and slipped roof tiles to the front of the property
• Chipped tiles to the rear
• Gaps in the ridge tiles allowing water through
• Original roof with no roofing felt - limited life expectancy
• Chimney needs repointing and a guard putting on - open chimney has lead to damp in the fireplace
• Raunching on chimney needs replacing
• Rear rainwater pipes upvc leaking
• Rear cast iron pipe rusting - needs replacing but in between 2 extensions so will be very difficult
• No lintels in some of the windows so upon replacing windows steel bars will need to be fitted to support brickwork
• Double glazing unit in box room has failed and misted on the inside
• External front door, door frame and door into the living room are unlikely to be safety glass
• Timber fascia board to the rear rotten
• Spindles too far apart on the landing - safety hazard
• Non condensing boiler now obsolete - no parts available
• Dampness found in external living room wall - cause unknown
• Penetrating damp around the windows in box room and master bedroom
• Timber ground floor not ventilated. Timber floor in kitchen and living room springy. Excessive rattling noises in living room suggests timber has been weakened by damp, wood rot or wood boring insects.

Should I run for the hills or Not? We are not in a position where we can afford to do all this work... so have no idea where to go from here. Could maybe do a few of the smaller jobs but our biggest concern is when we come to sell, will we lose money on the house given the huge down valuation and all of these things that will come up in another's survey. Help!

Comments

• ssparks2003
    Options
    If you consider these major issues i suggest that an older property is not for you, look at new builds only. These are not major issues, they are the facts of owning an older property that you may need to address over the next few years. So are more of a priority to fix that others but at the end of the day none will kill you.
  • Ambercls
    Options
    My main issue is the damp, the cast iron pipe (as this is inbetween 2 extensions so accessing would mean a huge job), leaking gutters and the roof. In particular the damp having 2 very young children. Like i say we are first time buyers and everything is new to us. But a down value of 27.5k is very concerning. Not sure what's best - pull out knowing we can't afford the remedial work, ask the seller to conduct a damp survey etc, or ask them to match the valuation (which I highly doubt they will agree to!).
  • juniordoc
    juniordoc Posts: 366 Forumite
    Options
    None are absolute dealbreakers, and it sounds like good grounds to renegotiate the price to give you some funds to do the required works.
  • Scotbot
    Scotbot Posts: 1,448 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    You have 2 separate issues, firstly the house needs maintenance do you want to do this and can you afford to? Secondly an independent valuation is 16% less than the offer price, so there is a good chance you won't be able to sell it for the price you paid for a while. Valuation is not an exact science and I would not be bothered by a 5% difference but 16% and I would be. If you are happy with a fixer upper you need to renegotiate the price. If not walk.
  • teneighty
    teneighty Posts: 1,347 Forumite
    Options
    It sounds like the property needs quite a lot of work, probably new roof covering in near future, possible issues with floor, older boiler and double glazed windows, plus all the other bits and pieces. So potentially it is going to cost you a lot of money over the next 5 years or so. Is that reflected in the asking price? If not then get quotes for all the work highlighted in your survey and reduce your offer accordingly or look for a house that has already had all the work done.

As for the valuation you should be able to get a reasonable idea from studying the SOLD prices of similar properties in the area. Of course taking in to account the condition of the property.
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Most of these are minor maintenance issues.

A decent man on a ladder will fix most of the roof, chimney and ridge tiles in a day. The same guy will do the gutters/drains, both pvc and cast iron. And the wooden fascias - these are non structural so just repair/paint or replace with pvc. Not a big job.

Lots of houses have non-safety glass. It never used to be used. If you're concerned about your kids, change it - your choice. The spindles similar.

Obsolete boiler. Might not break down for years. Who knows? And decent boiler engineers can source 'obsolete' parts eg from other old boilers they remove. (British Gas won't. they'll quote you a fortune for a new boiler.)

The window lintels are only an issue if.when you change the windows, but any decent FENSA firm will know how to ensure the wall above s supported by either the new windows, or lintels.

The failed double glazing you must have seen yourself. either live with it (I did for 8 years!), replace the window, or use a cheap 'de-misting' firm.

The last 3 points are the only ones potentially concerning. Adding ventilation to the timber floor is easy/cheap - so the issue is whether damp has caused damage. I'm surprised the surveyor was not more definitive. Maybe ring him and ask. Or were the floors covered by fitted carpts so he could not see? Ideally, you neeed a floorboard lifted to inspect underneath, for which you'd need the seller's permission.

Cause of damp in external living room wall. Hmm - could it be the gutters/drains outside making the wall damp? If so, fixing the gutters will fix the damp!What is outside that damp wall and where are the dodgy gutters?

Overall, yes, there's some work to do to get the property up to scratch, but none of it is hugely expnsive r difficult. So it's up to you wheteher you want a perfect property to move into and not do anything, or are prepared for sme (not huge) costs, some weekend DIY, and a few contractors.
  • Kynthia
    Kynthia Posts: 5,668 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    So a local surveyor who knows the area and looked at this property thinks it's worth significantly less tgan you're paying. That would concern me. So while many things on the surveyors list are minor, inconsequential, or just ongoing maintenance of an older property, the valuation would be an issue and if want to investigate the timber floor and damp.
    Don't listen to me, I'm no expert!
  • teneighty
    teneighty Posts: 1,347 Forumite
    Options
    G_M wrote: »
    Most of these are minor maintenance issues.

A decent man on a ladder will fix most of the roof, chimney and ridge tiles in a day. The same guy will do the gutters/drains, both pvc and cast iron. And the wooden fascias - these are non structural so just repair/paint or replace with pvc. Not a big job.

Rather optimistic. A nearly 90 year old roof with the original roof tiles that are showing signs of deterioration.

Are you the estate agent by any chance?
  • Cakeguts
    Cakeguts Posts: 7,627 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I haven't seen this house but I can guess what it looks like from the description but what is confusing me is where can you put two extensions onto a 1930s 3 bed mid terrace where a gutter is between them. On an end terrace you can have windows on 3 sides but in a mid terrace the windows are only front and back so if you extend at the back you can finish up with either a long dark room or two smaller rooms with the one in the extension being dark.

Were the lights on in the house when you viewed it?

What might have happpened is the vendors are trying to sell the house for the price of a purpose built 3 bed house of the size this one is with the extensions. However on a mid terrace you are limited to how you can extend and if the extensions make the house really dark inside they could devalue the house not make it worth more especially if the extensions result in long thin rooms.

What you need to do is to see what else has sold recently for £140k and what has sold for £167k because that will tell you what value this house should have. Remember a purpose built 3 bed mid terrace of the size that this one is without extensions will always be worth more.
  • SG27
    SG27 Posts: 2,773 Forumite
    Options
    teneighty wrote: »
    Rather optimistic. A nearly 90 year old roof with the original roof tiles that are showing signs of deterioration.

Are you the estate agent by any chance?

My roof is 300 years old. I replace a few tiles now and then but there is plenty of life left in it if its maintained.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure