Windows 8 dual boot with another copy

I done dual boots in the past and used free disk partition software first to make the necessary new partition.

Is this still possible using the Recovery USB flash drive created when I first got the laptop?

Ta

Comments

• Neil_Jones
    Neil_Jones Posts: 8,913 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    If the recovery USB was one that was made by software provided by the computer manufacturer, those are not designed to make a dual-boot system.

You don't need it anyway, you can dual-boot yourself with the appropriate Windows CDs to reinstall onto an empty drive. Just install the older operating system first, careful not to use the full size of the drive then install the newer system into the remaining space. The dual-boot then sorts itself out. Simples.
  • roytom
    roytom Posts: 354 Forumite
    Thanks, but I’m not following all this.

I do have a windows 7 disc (cd/dvd and usb flash made from the cd) and I could use that to install it in a spare partition - but once I’ve got Win 7 installed (alongside my existing win 8) how can I upgrade my win 7 to 8 using the win 8 I’ve got? Or is there some other method?

Ta
  • Neil_Jones
    Neil_Jones Posts: 8,913 Forumite
    So you want two copies of Windows 8 on the same machine?
  • roytom
    Yes, I do want two copies of Win 8 on the same laptop.

The reason is that my existing copy is playing up but I cannot risk ditching it without another copy up and running.

Ta again
  • esuhl
    esuhl Posts: 9,409 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    If you're looking for partitioning software, I wouldn't use anything other than GParted. You can burn a live image to CD/USB and boot from that.

https://gparted.org/livecd.php
  • wongataa
    wongataa Posts: 2,627 Forumite
    roytom wrote: »
    Yes, I do want two copies of Win 8 on the same laptop.

The reason is that my existing copy is playing up but I cannot risk ditching it without another copy up and running.

Ta again
    Trying to dual boot with two copies of the same OS will just cause headaches trying to get it to work as dual booting is usually different operating systems so the normal dual boot setup methods won't be so happy.
  • esuhl
    esuhl Posts: 9,409 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    wongataa wrote: »
    Trying to dual boot with two copies of the same OS will just cause headaches trying to get it to work as dual booting is usually different operating systems so the normal dual boot setup methods won't be so happy.

Do what?! Your computer's mood won't be affected by having two installations of an identical OS version installed.

There's nothing headache-inducing either. It's exactly the same straightforward process as dual-booting any other pair of OSes. "The normal dual boot setup method" is exactly the same.
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,551 Forumite
    Just be careful restoring your original partition. The recovery process may erase all partitions and reset it back to factory spec.

Much easier to save your files and restore it if you have issues.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• roytom
    ta again for the input but I've about given up on the multi boot scenario for the time being, as, I've hit an unresolvable snag.

I created a new empty partition (using Paragon Partition Manager™ 14 Free) by trimming one of the other partitions. Then when I try to install either Win 7 or 10 into it I get the message :-

Windows cannot be installed on this disk. The selected disk is of the GPT partition style.

This applies to all partitions on the hard disk. This appears to be a well known problem. There's suggestion of fiddling with BIOS settings (doesn't work) or messing with DISKPART (using the CLEAN function) which is lethal if there is anything on the disk you need to keep - which I do.

I wonder if Ubuntu would install on my spare partition?

As an alternative I thought I would Create a New User in my existing Win 8.1 installation. This also doesn't work as (trying it twice) it just produces a black screen showing only the cursor.

Has Microsoft totally lost it?
  • justaquestion
    justaquestion Posts: 737 Forumite
    edited 14 October 2017 at 1:10PM
    Don't take this as gospel, but try formatting the particular partition to a dynamic disk instead of GPT, you could try this in disk management by right clicking on my computer icon, I think you will have to convert the whole drive though.

As regards dual booting I think its great, I have windows 7 and two instances of windows 10 on my computer, one of the 10's is used for banking only, though a lot of people might say "why" I feel its an extra security measure.

One invaluable tool to use for dual booting that I have used very often is EasyBCD, google it, what it does is, you can easily edit the boot start up menu to include the option to boot into another OS.

If you really want to do this, another option is to make a backup of your OS using Macrium Reflect or Acronis to an external drive then convert the whole drive to a dynamuic disk, repartition and put back your backup.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure